When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

And another 5513 build...

docthor

Hey gents :) ,

I'm about to have me built a light franken 5513 and would like to see your opinion on my plans :)

So far I was lucky enough to buy a Cartel case reworked by Rolojack which is actually on its way to me.

Today I received a gen but refinished dial. Even though it's refinished I'd say they did a great job.

I already bought some NOS Tudor hands and would like to have an ETA 2846 in there.

Which bezel assembly shall I choose and would you guys say a TC crown and tube is enough or shall I go the gen route there too?

And for the crystal I guess a Clarks T19 does the job as well as a gen would do. To be honest...I had both back in the days and I wasn't able to tell the difference...

20160923_105310.jpg20160923_105256.jpg

If you're going almost gen-look..

Either the servicex look, and with a new T19 gen is about 100€, if you choose CWP "domey" to is about 50€ exclusive S&H. If you go the sensible route I would recommend Sternkreutz as I've found them to be better than Clarks "serviced" T19. 

If you chose CWP, pick up a couple of them while you're at it, otherwise a bit of acrylic will go by EMS. The customs x-ray technicians will go crazy trying to figure out "where/how the drugs are hidden".

TC crown+tube, same thing. S&H... But if plan ahead for future builds it might be worth it. Otherwise You could always pick up a couple of v3 hands both LV and regular (to have in stock) 

If you go gen, I can help you with a non-greedy source for the service gen items. Don't know if the Phong bezel fits. The WSO is a sensible budget alternative. 

Don't know if helped out... If you need a Vietnam bezel assembly PM me. 

Take care mate and good luck! 

• Like 1

If you're going almost gen-look..

Either the servicex look, and with a new T19 gen is about 100€, if you choose CWP "domey" to is about 50€ exclusive S&H. If you go the sensible route I would recommend Sternkreutz as I've found them to be better than Clarks "serviced" T19. 

This!
Don't go for a Clark T19, they distort the rehaut too much.
Hey gents ,

I'm about to have me built a light franken 5513 and would like to see your opinion on my plans

Today I received a gen but refinished dial. Even though it's refinished I'd say they did a great job.
20160923_105310.jpg20160923_105256.jpg

Well, what you have there is a 5513/5517 Milsub dial. With the circled "T" for Tritium. So really the case should have fixed bars rather than spring bars.

:)
I checked the Internet and found some pics of gen 5513 with that dial and spring bars. They seem to be rare but they exist...at least from what I found in the net.

So with your guys opinion about the crystal I'm going to buy a gen T19. Bezel assembly from WSO and gen crown and tube.

Many thanks for your input :)

Sent from my wooden drums via Tupperware

Wouldn't that have left signs on the case side? Aren't the fixed bars thicker than the normal Spring bar hole? I guess the 5517 is like the 5514 in that some people wanted a civilian version and had all that makes the watch desirable replaced in period. 

I've only seen one, and yes the thinking at the time was that the civilian version would be more desirable after decommissioning. And yes, there were still traces of the fixed bars visible after conversion. The only reason it was done in the first place was to enable it to be worn with a bracelet rather than a NATO strap. I'll post some shots if I can track it down again.

Here's one on the Antiques Roadshow, not particularly well appraised by the expert though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02dl7lc

• Like 1

Ja...me too
I'm a bit torn now...with fixed bars I think it would look better to have sword hands. Gen Seamaster 300 sword hands should fit an ETA 2846 or?

You can pick up some from Helenarou, you just need to trim the tail of the second hand slightly:
http://www.helenarou.com/5517-milsub-super-lume-watch-hands-correct-sec-tip-for-e551728242836.html

4 hours ago, docthor said:

So what's better...gen Omega hands or HR hands?

Not having compared them side-by-side I can't say. However, if you go for a gen Omega Seamster 300 handset you will still need to source a silver second hand, as the gen Omega is white. Personally I'd go the HR route.  

I just read that lots of the gen 5513/17 already have Omega hands because Rolex hands aren't available anymore.
My thought was to remove the white color of the seconds hand. But if the HR hands are good enough this would be the cheaper and easier way to go :)