When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 build happening need help!!

irolexu

Aright guys and gals. I have been in the watch hobby for many years and I have finally decided to start a build on a dream project I have never ventured on. A red 1680

I just got a dial from Ebay and want opinions. It looked nice for the price and I'll need parts and if anyone out there has anything out of the list provided please PM me! I'm very excited to start this build as I have been in love with this particular watch since I knew what a Rolex was. I'm a little surprised at myself it took this long to start this build but here is my ideal package..

phong case 2mil 

gen 127 top hat

gen 700 crown and tube

aged insert pearl or no pearl don't really care

gen 1570 silver date disc if possible 

matched hands for the dial

gen 93150 

IMG_2564.PNG

Imho if you load off this amount of money on the other parts such as case and with a lot of more gen stuff, it's a no brainer using that dial. Get a good one. 

Also maybe check with the correct serial and get the correct Mark dial too for the according serial number of the case. :p 

Minh Quy, Ivan whatever floats your boat but find a good one. :D 

Can't wait to see it done. 

Edited by QueTip
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, irolexu said:

Wow! A few grand?? That'll put the build costs shy of a gen if I use mostly gen parts :(

Yeah, also there's only a slight chance he will make the dial. He's in a position where he can decide whether he feels like making a dial that was requested or not. Lol

I'd suggest going with the MQ dial, what's your serial number on the Phong case exactly? 

1680-2.38milSNI70RedSub-Anon-11_zpsfewyr

here's what I believe is referred to a MKIV these days- similar to your dial. This dial came from VRF- 2.38 mil SN.

I don't think yours is that bad a dial- I do see serifs on the SCOC printing which you don't see on the gen.

I also think it's not cost effective to build a $5-6K rep and I've quit putting Rolex movements in my watches- it's getting harder and harder to find parts for these old 1575 movements.

I think it's better to just save up $10K and buy a real red sub.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, alligoat said:

here's what I believe is referred to a MKIV these days- similar to your dial. This dial came from VRF- 2.38 mil SN.

I don't think yours is that bad a dial- I do see serifs on the SCOC printing which you don't see on the gen.

Nope, it's a Mk5. The horizontal lines on the 'ft' are aligned whereas they are not aligned on the Mk4. 

It's not a bad dial, just has that great flaw I personally can't overlook. The coronet placing is too far off the 12 marker. It's meant to be closer as you can see on your pic and other Mark dials. None have the big space design like @irolexu s dial has.