When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lots of misrepresentation lately

docthor

Guess this is due to upcoming Christmas season and so some guys try to build up their funds with pushing their sales by misrepresenting what they sell...I had some bad buys the last weeks and there were other sales too. Mainly on the other boards but we had some too...

Here is my latest bad buy...

https://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/339619-Franken-Rolex-Datejust-2?p=3045869&viewfull=1#post3045869

I just decided that this DJ II was my last m2m buy be it gen or rep. Because of misrepresenting I lost almost 20% of my already small watch budget and I'm not wealthy enough to just eat that and call it a day. I have to work hard to "restock" my budget.

Usually I always do that...movement isn't running well...heck...it's a rep and I'm in the lucky position that Domi just lives next door. I always change to swiss movements anyways. Small things are just what they are...small things...I don't push the boat out about it. Either I just buy new or let repair what's broken or I sell the watch with a loss. But actually I'm at a point where I can't do that anymore and I bet I'm not alone... :(

I'm very sorry to see the state of your watch. It's indeed butchered.

I'm usually in disagreement with comments about light scratches all over our watches.
They are ...watches and supposed to be worn.
No way you can keep a watch without scratches unless you polish it each time you wear it.

But these photos are frightening.
Let's remember that the vast majority of us should NOT touch their watch.
Good lesson for myself next time I thing I should open one of mine to see if it's clean enough :rudolph:

Back in my gen days I used to be what we call here in Germany a "Poliertuchmuschi or just PTM"...I was so scared about scratches and tried to avoid any contact with materials harder than a polish cloth.

This totally changed but what this guy did to that former nice DJ is something I cannot live with. I hope Domi is able to swap the dial and maybe to repair the movement (if it's really a gen swiss ETA which I doubt actually). The case and the bezel are totally lost...no way to bring them back to live...

Fortunately, the RWI guys are always eager to intervene on one's behalf in these cases.   That seller can't possibly be as clueless as he claims to be, but how could he think he wasn't going to be called out in this case?

I feel for you my friend.

I own a few frankens myself and it lies in my nature to also prevent them at all costs to be exposed to scratches. Even if the price is less than half of a gen, it does not mean we cannot take good care of them.

I encountered this with a few 'Big Time' mail order/internet genuine watch dealers and to put it bluntly...I wore their sorry ass out until I got my $$ back.  They all tried to play dumb...so I 'educated' them.  There is no excuse for deception. 

Stupidity might be the one exception.   :pimp:

Hope you get it sorted out Doc. It was this actual watch that inspired me to have one built - which I'm hoping to do over the next few weeks. 

I also have entirely stopped buying m2m other then parts. Most of the watches I bought m2m were a mechanical nightmare. They looked well on the outside but were practically not maintainable (I am talking glue, stripped threads...etc.). I guess there are some guys out there with true watchmaking skills but many (myself included) just suck on building watches. I never made a big fuzz about it and then again it was never to an extent that I felt scammed or something. But I have drawn my consequences.  

I cannot view your link (I am not a member there), but I am sorry to hear you had so many problems. Instead of linking to other sites, you should post pics here to make it easier for RWG members to follow.

People must always follow the basic rules of buying reps, especially when the name 'Rolex' is involved - buy only from sellers with an established history of selling watches to satisfied buyers & pay only with a credit card (in my experience, most banks will cancel a sale if you purchased a rep that was misrepresented) or paypal (which is funded by your credit card). Except in very rare instances (like when making a purchase from a well known or esteemed seller) or when purchasing gen parts that are in short supply, you can always find the same thing from a more reliable seller. Saving a bit or soothing your eagerness is never worth the risk of buying from dodgy sellers or those who are 'new'.

Hopefully, after a bit of work, your watch can be put right without too much additional pain.