When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Tulip Dial" 5512 PCG Project

dbane883

Hi guys.

For many reasons, this project is a special one.

The 5512 Submariner  “tulip crown” gilt dials were made in very small quantities and is most commonly seen with 1961 serial codes.  The dial has an elegant beauty in it’s simplicity and the unique coronet really sets it apart from other early 5512 submariners.  I felt this would be an ideal complement to the other builds in my relatively small collection.

I started out with a Phong PCG 5512 mid case which I re-profiled to have more pronounced bevels, re-brushed the satin lug tops, straightened the case side flanks and slightly reworked the crown guards.  Phong has a tendency to over polish his cases even if you request no aging. 

The “look” I was going for here was a case that still had a reasonably thick case, crisp bevels but appear like it was only gently worn periodically over the past 5 decades.  There are several examples of cases and dials of this era that appear almost NOS, but perhaps uncharacteristic of me, I felt a slightly more aggressive aging would be appropriate for this one.  However, I still wanted the case to appear “unpolished”.

Crown and tube is NOS genuine 7000 and 700-0 twin locks (the tube was unusually difficult to find).   Bezel, retaining ring, and ghost "kissing 40" fat font insert are also genuine.  I still need to find a tension spring. 

The hands are period-correct “flat” submariner hands that are surprisingly tough to find (the cost of which reflects their scarcity!).  

The chapter ring dial, well, is from he-who-cannot-be-mentioned and in my unbiased opinion, one of the best dials he’s ever made.   There is a subtle tropicalness to the dial that I've tried to capture.  I slightly aged the lume patina but I will probably enhance it a touch as I will need to open the case up again to remove some pesky dust specs (so annoying).  

Movement is a genuine cal 1530 that was sitting pretty lonely in the parts bin.

Caseback is a genuine/original 5512 that was most likely from a mid-70’s era sub given there is no date stamp.  Dome is a CWP T19.

The intent of this watch is to be a daily “beater” as I am trying to wear my big crown, 5513 PCG, and my 5513 mf less frequently.

This build is a bittersweet one for me.  Because of other commitments this will probably be my last personal rep build. RWG has inspired me in many ways to really push the boundaries of what is possible.  It’s a cantina full of misfits from around the globe but one thing that sets its apart is the mutual respect we have for each other - simply because we share the same passion.  I have learned so much over the years and am grateful to so many.  We are all fortunate to be apart of this community.

Here are some pics of the final build. Pics taken with genuine 7206 rivet bracelet as well as B&S vintage strap.

Comparison shots: Gen 1962 PCG 5513 case on bottom, Phong PCG 5512 on top:

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

Dbane, your work is legendary. Absolutely magnificent. We are fortunate to have you here in our small corner of the Interwebs. Thanks for setting the bar for us, and sharing the minute details so we can strive to match them.

Stick around, amigo... even if you're not doing any more personal frankens for yourself.

And I hope the Boss kicks the server so the pictures show up again!

Those pointed crown guards look insane.

An amateur like myself is simply in awe of your work. Sorry to read that this will be the last of your personal builds. You've certainly gone out with a bang.

This dial has feet for the 1530?

I certainly feel lucky to own a Yuki case with work done by you.

Wow, that dial isn't like anything I've ever seen come from the manufacturer. It looks absolutely great.

Dbane, I've learned a great deal from yourself, both in terms of the watches I've built and in terms of how things "go" around the circle. I do hope you'll continue to be a part of the community and share your knowledge. Thank you for sharing, now and before.

Beautiful!! This one is truly as good as it gets. You have built some spectacular watches sir, and my hat is off to you.
While this may signal a temporary hiatus from builds, I bet that the bug while dormant now will come back and we will see more in the future, at least those are my hopes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a beautiful result.  Amazing build my friend.  You aged this one more than usual and it suits the build perfectly.  Love the coronet and subtle tropical look on the dial.  You have been a good friend and you have helped me on many projects.  I always look forward to your builds as we have similar tastes and in my opinion your builds are the best I have seen.  Especially the case and bevel work.  While I will miss seeing your builds, I wish you the best in your new ventures.  I am sure we will keep in touch.  

Peace brother.