When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Daytona 6263 Hunt (DW/SPinmaster/Kenny/Watchguyusa1) Anyone else?

TheSociety

Hey guys,

So I've gotten lost into the interweb space of the elusive perfect vintage daytona. After doing a ton of research I realize I would like a daytona with a DW case or a full DW 7750 piece but DW is not someone I'd want to do business with (and it seems like he's long gone). That leaves us with Kenny (cartel base) and Watchguyusa1 (cartel base) but I don't see many of them pop up either. Is the only choice left to build my own? If so, which modder would you recommend?

Well, first of all, eliminate the word "perfect" from your description if you are going for a 7750 based build. To get there, you are talking Phong case, and a v72 based build and spending $3,000 +/- depending on what you want to put into it.

If you don't want to build your own, your best bet is to be patient (rule #1 of the rep hobby) and wait until someone offers up a M2M sale that you like and is in your pricepoint. They come up fairly frequently, but be prepared to jump when you see something you like.

• Like 1

Well a Phong case is 1450 USD and a V72 isn't going to be much less, so that's the three grand gone before a dial, hands and watchmaker's work. I think unless someone is either very, very good at finding bargains, able to do their own watch repairs and servicing or prepared to accept a low quality dial 4500 USD is more realistic.

Guys I hit the jackpot the other day with the biggest Daytona find!

DW 6263 Albino (ultra rare - 7750 movement needs work but I don't mind since I don't really see these ever!)
DW 6263 Gold (rare)
Paul Newman 6263 Franken White Gen Dial, Gen Hands, Gen Pushers, case reshaped
Paul Newman 6263 Super Franken Black Gen Tiffany Paul Newman Dial, Case softened, Gen Pushers, Gen Rivet Bracelet

d87e2cbc55723ec11cb400491dfc54a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nice Score there.  Like to see some close ups and hear more details.  I had a nice DW franken but the case was just too thick for my taste.  Have toyed with doing a Phone cased build a few times over the last couple years, but finding a good dial is a real PITA.  Almost bought a genuine Big Red a few months ago, but just could not justify the current pricing trend.  Ended up in a 5 digit instead.  At some point I will probably build a nice 6263 as the gens will just keep pricing themselves out of my comfort zone.    

Very nice watches. Of all the Rolex models, the Daytonas have gone from being the"Red headed stepchild" of Rolex watches to probably some of the most expensive and sought after models. Back in the time when these were being sold as new, Rolex could hardly give them away, probably why they were produced in smaller quantities. All of the other models were for the most part automatics with date or day date. Rolex introduces this retro model, manual wind, no date and they were dogs. I bought a brand new Daytona 6265 in about 1980 for 500.00USD. I wore it for a few weeks, but couldn't come to terms with the manual wind and no date. Traded it for a 1680. Definitely a bad choice in today's market. For those smart folks who bought them and held on to them, they have appreciated exponentially to prices today that are sky high.
You have some very nice Daytona reps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSociety said:

Paul Newman 6263 Super Franken Black Gen Tiffany Paul Newman Dial, Case softened, Gen Pushers, Gen Rivet Bracelet

d87e2cbc55723ec11cb400491dfc54a8.jpg

Sorry but there is no way on God's green earth that you have a "Black Gen Tiffany Paul Newman Dial" 

On 10/16/2016 at 9:13 AM, TheSociety said:

Hey guys,

So I've gotten lost into the interweb space of the elusive perfect vintage daytona. After doing a ton of research I realize I would like a daytona with a DW case or a full DW 7750 piece but DW is not someone I'd want to do business with (and it seems like he's long gone). That leaves us with Kenny (cartel base) and Watchguyusa1 (cartel base) but I don't see many of them pop up either. Is the only choice left to build my own? If so, which modder would you recommend?

I basically messaged every person who have every owned one back to 2010 across 4 forums. I don't know but I might have sent over 50 messages. One guy replied and he lived down the street from me! I ended up picking up the DW Albino and the two frankens. He's respectable and works with some well known names in the daytona world, namely Watchguyusa1, DW and he literally lives 7 mins walk from my loft. I will document all the pieces shortly but I consider myself very lucky to have acquired these so quickly. The gold one I got from a friend of mine from SF but happened to be in LA with it. Again, pure luck.

from exp, it helps that you are reputable, congrats!

Thank you Retina! I have much to learn from you guys, I'm not an expert but just someone who reads and try to learn I enjoy meeting members in person too. Made countless friends on the forums and I'm grateful for that

I also want to add that I'm
Totally in love with this Gen Dial Tiffany Paul Newman (refinished) this is absolutely an incredible watch. I have the gen rivet bracelet for it too

e64381999891b642c396b9c500b58b50.jpg

And my other love a 6263 Paul Newman gen dial (also refinished) with patina on the subdials. Case has been slimmed and reworked.

1903918b6e23db84e0953bf18857a97f.jpg

Thank you Retina! I have much to learn from you guys, I'm not an expert but just someone who reads and try to learn I enjoy meeting members in person too. Made countless friends on the forums and I'm grateful for that

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI also want to add that I'm
Totally in love with this Gen Dial Tiffany Paul Newman (refinished) this is absolutely an incredible watch. I have the gen rivet bracelet for it too

e64381999891b642c396b9c500b58b50.jpg

And my other love a 6263 Paul Newman gen dial (also refinished) with patina on the subdials. Case has been slimmed and reworked.

1903918b6e23db84e0953bf18857a97f.jpg

There was some controversy regarding that T&C dial, it can be a gen singer plate but I doubt it's a gen PN dial. If it was gen it would be in the 5 figure range. It's a nice piece nevertheless, enjoy it :)

20 minutes ago, Retina said:

There was some controversy regarding that T&C dial, it can be a gen singer plate but I doubt it's a gen PN dial. If it was gen it would be in the 5 figure range. It's a nice piece nevertheless, enjoy it :)

I recall the thread you are talking about (although now can't be found). I didn't buy it from that person (tysodrum I believe it was?) so this is a different dial, could be the same refinisher though I'm not sure. I do beleive it's  GEN PN dial, just not a T&C dial - like you said that would go well into the 5, maybe even 6 figure range. It wouldn't make sense. But I did compare it with the daytona reference book in large format and all the details lines up. In any case, I'm really enjoying it :) always a good controversy to get the blood pumpin haha

• Like 1

I do beleive it's  GEN PN dial, just not a T&C dial - like you said that would go well into the 5, maybe even 6 figure range. It wouldn't make sense. But I did compare it with the daytona reference book in large format and all the details lines up. In any case, I'm really enjoying it  always a good controversy to get the blood pumpin haha

Very nice Daytonas you have aquired there sir! The dials are surely made on genuine Rolex dial plates fitting the v72 (those plates were dirt cheap some time ago), but I'd give it low chance that they are refinished 626x dials and about 0.0% shot of originally being PN versions. But hey, if you have provenance / facts, do tell please!

Well, as long as you didn't pay crazy premium for the dials being "gen PN" nothing wrong here. As said, fantastic watches and am very impressed you managed to get all those costly beauties at once, sounds like a dream!
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, TheSociety said:

DW 6263 Albino (ultra rare - 7750 movement needs work but I don't mind since I don't really see these ever!)
DW 6263 Gold (rare)
Paul Newman 6263 Franken White Gen Dial, Gen Hands, Gen Pushers, case reshaped

I hate to bust your bubble, but it's highly unlikely that either of those Newman dials are genuine (or repainted gen blanks). Instead, they appear to be good (but not great), Asian-made aftermarket dials. If they were gens, either Newman dial would cost you $25k+ each (likely far higher).

But you do have a nice collection of Daytonas.

p.s. Everyone, please do not re-post entire sets of pics (edit them out of your reply) just to add a line or 2 of text below them.

38 minutes ago, ogladio said:

Very nice Daytonas you have aquired there sir! The dials are surely made on genuine Rolex dial plates fitting the v72 (those plates were dirt cheap some time ago), but I'd give it low chance that they are refinished 626x dials and about 0.0% shot of originally being PN versions. But hey, if you have provenance / facts, do tell please!

Well, as long as you didn't pay crazy premium for the dials being "gen PN" nothing wrong here. As said, fantastic watches and am very impressed you managed to get all those costly beauties at once, sounds like a dream!

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^

Beautiful looking pieces but as I said in #10 above, no way on god's green earth that was or is a genuine BLACK 6263 PN dial.  IIRC, the last Gen Black PN 6263 that sold at auction fetched over $1M.  Makes no sense that someone in this day and age refinishes a gen black PN dial (without gobs of documentation) and then puts it on a franken / rep (albeit a nice one).  But again, nice pieces and good score.