When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 16570 Dial Swap

ww12345

So I just bought a gen luminova dial on here and wondered if it is in the realm of possibility to switch it out oneself... I'm pretty handy with watch tools and am comfortable working with reps but wanted a more expert opinion with regard to gens. Are they that different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"So I just bought a gen luminova dial on here and wondered if it is in the realm of possibility to switch it out oneself... I'm pretty handy with watch tools and am comfortable working with reps but wanted a more expert opinion with regard to gens. Are they that different?"

The basics are the same except for two main things:  1...replica rolex watches and parts are much cheaper than genuine and if you screw something up it is not a big loss.  Genuine watches cost a whole lot more so a mistake can be costly.  Otoh replicas can be harder to work on because of their poor quality so genuine watches may be a bit easier to work on.  If it was me and the replacement parts cost much at all, I would not attempt the job if I had any doubts. 

Otoh again, a many professional 'watch fixers' screw stuff up too.  One main difference between a pro and a hack is a pro can usually fix their screw-ups.  Dials being one exception.   :pimp:

You gotta see if the dial feet are compatible with the movement. Chances are, they aren't, which means you gotta trim the dial feet. That means you gotta use dial dots (unless you wanna solder on new dial feet) to affix the dial. That's ok, not a hugely hard thing to do, but not terribly easy to do correctly and without marring the dial.

You also gotta see if the diameter of the dial will match the inner diameter of the dial lip. If it does not, the dial won't fit because it's too large. Some rep dials vary from gen dial size (I might even say most?).