When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A better 6538 project

Bart Cordell

On 04/02/2017 at 9:04 AM, hologramet said:

This is not impossible at all, actually I'll see what I can do for the 809H Tempus Machina dials.. 

The lume will be done by the Vietnamese, and included in the price using tinted Superluminova BGW9... 

I will say it again, the pictures never do these justice. However much you like it I guarantee it looks better in reality 

Want, want bad

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bart Cordell said:

@JoeyB
I thought to do it but I have not yet found out how. I want to first find a way to have a pretty red depth.

The only red lettering I tried failed miserably. The red letters on a 6542 are painted on the surface of the dial, and looked really bad when trying to print it within the dial. Good luck. 

On 19/02/2017 at 5:56 PM, JoeyB said:

The only red lettering I tried failed miserably. The red letters on a 6542 are painted on the surface of the dial, and looked really bad when trying to print it within the dial. Good luck. 

On 19/02/2017 at 6:05 PM, Bart Cordell said:

@JoeyB
Yes red printing is bad.
I already tried to place a decal with only red depth on the first decal with no success. I will continue to search a way.

emoji632.png

There could be a way :

- nail varnish instead of printing

- under the decal instead of on the decal

Here is a pic (bad one) of my first attempt.

Considering I dont have a long experience with decal dials, I would say that it's promising.

The problem is the thickness of the varnish.

A way to avoid that would be to :

- grind the "red zone" with a Dremel before putting the varnish (unfortunately I dont have a Dremel)

- fine sand the varnish (when completely dried) until it does not "pop" from the dial anymore

- polish to get a smooth surface

- put the decal on the dial

Next week I'll try to borrow a Dremel, test that method and post a feedback..

01 - 6538 RED DEPTH.jpg

Edited by manodeoro
  • Like 2

Yep, I tried red paint under the decal, but it left a 'lump'. The decals dry quite tight and take the impression of whatever they are applied to. Grinding a 'trough' of sorts in the specific area might work. Paint fill, then level, then apply the decal. 

That's exactly what I consider doing !!!
I will handgrind if I cant borrow a Dremel but it could be much longer.
The nail varnish works much better than paint because it's more dense and resistant and it can be easily sanded and polished (already tried and works well).
Hope I can show something better next week

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Is this a service that anyone on the forums does? I have a custom dial with design I made (non-rep) that I would love to see in a "gilt". If not, is there a tutorial around for doing this? I might give it a shot. Thanks!!
No real tuto but ...@Bart Cordell's thread : https://rwg.cc/index.php?/topic/182744-Decals-print-dials-
Read this one and others you can find here or other forums.
Then give it a try and in a few weeks/month (depends on you) you will produce your own dials.

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

Aside other projects I'm still trying to make "colored" Gilt dials ... I mean Gilt dials with some lines colored instead of gilt.

A few days ago I showed you my first attempt for a "Red Depth Gilt dial" but I had a HUGE problem with the color applied under the decal.
It was, IMHO, a nice try but the Red Depth was very bulky and lef a "lump" on the decal ... so not very useful.

This week I made my second attempt, not with a "Red Depth" but with a SYL.
Everything is gilt and black, apart from the "Serpico Y Laino" which is "shiny white".
It's not a complete success because I have designed the SYL letters too little and too thin so it's not very flashy or even easily readable.
But this point is quite easy to rectify (just need to spend some time on Illustrator).

The VERY GOOD point is that the colored line is not bulky anymore ... everything is smooth.
And it means that in a few days (or weeks) I'll be able to show you a nice "Red Depth Gilt Dial" :clap:

First pic - the dial "fresh" from applying - not finished nor varnished

16236701SYLGILTANDWHITE.jpg

Second pic - same dial (still nor varnished) in the 6538 I used as a guinea pig for my thread

26533702SYLINCASE.jpg
The next one will get some lume :football:

Edited by manodeoro
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...