When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How good would a Yuki Tudor Monte Carlo be?

gasebah

I have just purchsed a vintage watch with a 7734 movement. The movement seems in good shape and was recently serviced. I am now thinking about using the watch as a donor for a Yuki Tudor 7031. I would use all Yuki parts.

How does such a watch compare to a gen? What are the more or less obvious tells? Are there commercially viable alternatives for some parts? I do not want to spend thousand on gen parts. This should still be a reasonable project inside 1500 € (plus the donor movement of course).

Any help from the experts would be very appreciated.

Yes, it is around 950 for a Yuki and 1450 for a Phong. The question is how do these really compare to each other. I was hoping to get some intel here.

I still don't understand why no one is CNC machining spec replica cases yet.  I guess the demand is too low for all the tooling and design set-up?    Its not that I think 1450 is unreasonable, since what I assume it takes is a crap load of handshaping and hours of so many little steps get each part correct.   It's a fair price for the Time it takes to make by hand I guess.  The bench rate for fine jewelers is even higher.   But all of these cases could be drawn up or 3d scanned and produced on demand.   One approach would be to 3d scan all the basic contours inside and out, and then I assume you use 3d software to input the thread and pitch for the inside case threads and the case back threads.    The goal would be to have a complete 3d file of the case and then simply upload it to an on demand CNC hub.  ( Like 3d printing).   All that should be left is creating the correct finish, but no filing or shaping needed with a good 3d file for the CNC machine.

Edited by RickFlorida

1 hour ago, RickFlorida said:

I still don't understand why no one is CNC machining spec replica cases yet.  I guess the demand is too low for all the tooling and design set-up?    Its not that I think 1450 is unreasonable, since what I assume it takes is a crap load of handshaping and hours of so many little steps get each part correct.   It's a fair price for the Time it takes to make by hand I guess.  The bench rate for fine jewelers is even higher.   But all of these cases could be drawn up or 3d scanned and produced on demand.   One approach would be to 3d scan all the basic contours inside and out, and then I assume you use 3d software to input the thread and pitch for the inside case threads and the case back threads.    The goal would be to have a complete 3d file of the case and then simply upload it to an on demand CNC hub.  ( Like 3d printing).   All that should be left is creating the correct finish, but no filing or shaping needed with a good 3d file for the CNC machine.

A lot of these CNC hubs work only in three axes. The majority (almost all, except for dirt cheap asian watches) of watches require casework in more than three axes. In addition, many cases require custom tooling beyond standard bits/reams/end mills you can outfit on a tool-switching CNC mill. 

3D scanned or otherwise, the best you can hope for is 3 axes worth of finishing before you have to get into custom jigs, custom tooling, and custom processes. I would bet that Phong & co already CNC the primary shape of their cases, or stamp them, and then hand finish as best they can (because the real cost comes in the custom jigs etc).