When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lest we Forget

Nanuq

I parked the car and kept the silence alone. We should remember all the time not just one minute a year. Following on from something @droptopman said in another thread, yes Europeans stereotype Americans as Americans stereotype Europeans and there are many British to this day who sneer that America was late into both wars and joined at the end, then tried to steal all the glory. There is no glory in war. Both sides loose, but one side generally looses more. The simple factual truth that even my father, an educated man with a keen grasp of history and politics, will never admit, is that Britain was on its knees staring defeat in the face during the Battle of Britain. America saved our [censored]. There is no dishonour in admitting it. Our soldiers and particularly airmen fought like terriers. Often bailing out of downed 'planes twice in a day, only to climb back in and face near certain death again. We simply didn't have the resources there is honour in what our ancestors did, but there is also honour in acknowledging what others did and probably in finally acknowledging that the bombing of Dresden and the sinking of the French navy AFTER it had surrendered were war crimes.

Remember the cost of war and those that paid it and continue to pay it. I have seen too many guys sleeping in the streets and being unwanted by the society that was happy enough to send them into a war. America in particular has seen too many body bags flown home from the Middle East in recent years. Most of whom where from blue collar families, not the rich elite that are keen on war. Remember all those boys, the dead and the damaged and remember also the boys next in the line. Remember also that in modern warfare the majority of causalities are innocent civilians. Look for every option before warfare.

I'm ranting a bit, but ex soldiers and their welfare is something very close to my heart.

• Like 3

@Sogeha--well said!

This too is something I feel deeply about. I never served and feel ashamed for that. All I can do at this point is honor those who have sacrificed to protect my freedom and way of life. I do what I am able to support veteran causes. Not just financially but also with my time and experience in Behavioral Healthcare.

Many Thanks to those who have served.

• Like 1

Don't feel ashamed M, you are a good man. I can tell you that many ex service guys who have seen conflict would never sign up if they had their time again. Don't fall for the duty to one's country BS, some wars have to be fought, many don't and if the war mongers couldn't find recruits and had to do the dirty, blood business end of it themselves, they would be a lot more keen on other solutions. The brutal fact is that war is good for the economy, war monger tend to have stocks and shares, while soldiers tend not to have

" some wars have to be fought " so true, others not so much...............

To this may I add it is not the reasons why or validity of the war as we see it, we honor the valor of those who served.

" America in particular has seen too many body bags flown home from the Middle East in recent years. Most of whom where from blue collar families, not the rich elite that are keen on war. " 

I spend my oldest on this and worry every day. My sister in-law derided me for letting him go (a flaming Hillary supporter) as if I could stop him and I said "if my boys do not defend your daughters who will." My brother has two girls I have two boys and a girl. He serves to protect us he is not wrapped up in flag waving,he knows why he does what he does.

Some nice human posts on this thread. 

War is terrible - full stop. There is absolutely no glory in warfare.

I served in the Royal Navy during the first Gulf War. Whilst I didn't see any real action many of my friends and colleagues did.

One of them served in the Falklands War and lost friends there. He still lives with the fact that they died and he didn't. Once a year he has 'sinkies' on the date his ship was sank and lives lost. He's shed many a tear on that date along with downing a few pints for lost friends. 

Put the politicians in the front line and see how long it is before peace is declared. 

• Like 1

Great post G, MOAB was totally right that yesterday was a day for remembrance. But we owe it to those who have paid the ultimate price and those who have paid a terrible price and have live with it, as well as to our sons increasingly daughters who will pay tomorrow's price to understand the reality of war and the cost. It ain't like the movies.

Amen, brother. My dad served and has congressional citations and a box full of medals, but still gets a faraway look in his eye and won't talk about it, but to thank God I didn't have to go. That's all he ever says about it. Sure wish I could take those memories away for him.

• Like 1

My father never talked about it either ( combat Marine Korean war)..........

And Uncle Joe whose transport was torpedoed : he floated on a log for three days before getting picked up by a PBY then did Guadalcanal he never ever said boo about that action having read about I do not need to wonder why,  Uncle Lou who fought with Patton's 3rd Army was captured by the Germans (battle of the bulge) but got away, Uncle Pat who made it through a full tour as B-17 fling fortress side gunner (very rare the attrition rate was ghastly) had three fingers on one hand due to touching metal at high altitude frost bite, Uncle Frank and Uncle Nicky who got lucky station in Hawaii after pearl Harbor for the duration of  WWII and Uncle Jim who was never the same after he went to save guys from a flaming crashed bomber at his airfield , saw a hand reaching out for help came out with just an arm in his hand screwed him up big time.

I grew up very close to these men every Sunday we all ate at Grandmas the entire group on a long table  ( a sheet of plywood actually cover with a table cloth, we were poor) and another table for my 1st cousins , brother and I (17 of them!). Yes my family has severed and now my son does now, I have a lot to remember on that day.

PS I only know these things because my Mother told me I never heard my Uncles talk about anything in the family group or alone in ones and twos out back in the yard after diner and drinks, hanging out smoking  (as the youngest of the cousins I was always under foot listening) and my cousins didn't either as we have talked about it.

• Like 1

My grandfather was on the long March as a nazi pow. It's where the saying "don't eat yellow snow" comes from. They weren't allowed to stop, so everything was done on the hoof! The horror of that walk showed in his eyes the only time he ever spoke about it to my Pops and I.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk