When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What happen to the sale thread by Justin_T for the franken Daytona?

dvn

• 3 weeks later...

Legend is away on holiday I'm sure he will give us the run down when he gets back. As far as the thread we wanted to keep the speculation to a minimum and that still applies till legend gives us the run down on exactly what happened.

Needless to say it was not a good outcome.

Alright guys sorry for the delay and first and foremost, please do not start any witch-hunt against the seller. I have thought about it since the issue happened and would like to think that the seller is a genuine guy caught in a bad situation.

Here was what happened:

6th dec
I sent payment for the watch. I have offered to buy it for another member, whose identity I will not disclose, so please don't ask.

7th dec
I received a tracking number from seller but no photo the package of my name or address on it. The package was scheduled to arrive on 8th dec.

8th dec
No package. Item reached Singapore and was delivered to an unknown location and tracking was updated to "recipient moved". I called DHL singapore and discovered that item was shipped to the wrong address with the wrong recipient name. I arranged for a redelivery in that same phone conversation for next morning.

9th dec
No package received. Called DHL and discovered that seller has called to hold the package instead of getting it re-delivered to me. It has become a serious concern for me at this point and I called my credit card company, which has a strong fraud protection policy, and they suspended the payment. I was refunded a few days later.

There has been back and forth communication between seller and me for this, and he insisted that the name and address were correct but I have received no proof of this up till today. He also claimed that the DHL guy filled in the address and he simply signed on the slip. Suffice to say that the watch was never delivered to me and throughout the process, I've gotten no apologies from the seller and also very vague communication about the situation.

As far as I know, the watch is still held at DHL Singapore now and it's a matter between seller and DHL to arrange for it to be returned to him.
I have not seen the watch so I cannot comment on it guys.

The thing that puzzles me till today is how I have provided my name and address 3 times to the seller before shipment and how he could have gotten it totally wrong anyway. I have not seen a pic of the parcel, or the address slip till today.

I've gotten my refund in full from the credit card company and seller is working to have the watch returned to him.

If anyone wishes to deal with the seller, I would advise extreme caution.

Now, I would welcome your opinions on the situation of course but please refrain from any offensive comments. None of you bought the watch and I did so and if I can forgive the seller and give him the benefit of doubt, I don't see why any of you should be more offended than me lol.
I am sharing this not to satisfy anyone's curiosity, nor do I owe anyone an answer, but I share this because we are a community and certain facts have to be shared for prudence and caution.
If this white daytona ever surfaces for sale anywhere, please let us be aware guys!

Thank you all and play safe!

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

• Like 2

"He also claimed that the DHL guy filled in the address and he simply signed on the slip."

I have sent a LOT of watches out over the years and have never failed to triple check the addresses.  I would not rely on a desk clerk to address a package without checking it carefully because they could easily send it to an accomplice.

I have had my share of trouble with DHL including a rolex dial that made not one but two trips around the world while coming from Denmark to the USA (while always claiming it had been delivered), so I would believe just about anything about DHL.  Years ago a friend had a fairly large quantity of watch straps made in China with US Wildlife approved croc skins legally sent from the USA.  They were very late in arriving back from China (DHL of course) and were finally found 'impounded' in Anchorage, Alaska...with all paper work intact and 100% legal.  How they got there no one knows (other than DHL and they were not talking).  He had to send a lawyer to Anchorage to settle things and bring them back at no small expense.  

Certainly impressed with the way you are taking it, Legend. What a gentleman! To be honest I'm not sure I would be able to be that overbearing.

Personally - after reading your story - I'm a little less convinced that this is just a series of unfortunate coincidences... I'm glad you got your money back though!

Cheers all, and have a nice evening!

Not a bad outcome after all. Legend has done a fabulous job handling the situation.
Do we have a new scammer in the house?

Certainly impressed with the way you are taking it, Legend. What a gentleman! To be honest I'm not sure I would be able to be that overbearing.
Personally - after reading your story - I'm a little less convinced that this is just a series of unfortunate coincidences... I'm glad you got your money back though!
Cheers all, and have a nice evening!

Guys honestly I would not have been so gracious if my credit card has not refunded me fully. I could afford to take the deal easy as nothing was lost on my side. The correspondence with the seller is still ongoing and I am against the facts that:
1. Seller did not check my name and address at point of shipping, resulting in a delivery to a wrong address.
2. Seller stopped the re-delivery I arranged with DHL.
3. The communication between seller and me was vague, tardy and not helpful.
4. Seller has not been apologetic or contrite in any way.
5. Seller would not refund me until the watch is back with him safely. But this is a matter between him and DHL and out of my control.

I wish I could let you guys know what is really in the package but I could not do so because I've never received it.

If the amount was sent by Paypal gift, I doubt that I would be as kind as I have been toward him if he had chosen not to refund me.

Thank you guys for the input and if someone could shed more light on the situation please do not hesitate to do so.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.
  • Like 2

Did your CC company recover the funds or pay out through insurance? Has the selller still got the money?

They refunded my money directly and it's not through insurance.
a62bcb1372a1976bd9c949ecc8e99e77.png
The last I communicated with seller a few days back, his Paypal account has a negative balance for the same amount. Paypal is investigating the issue now though my credit card has already refunded me in full. It would be interesting if Paypal judges in favor of the seller after my credit card company has sided with me. Will they then put a negative balance on my account? Lol

OK the TC never arrived either another address issue it would seems,seeing a pattern here gents..........

On this one delivery was attempted two times but not to our buyers home as he was there and has video surveillance of his residence , no one came to deliver anything. No response from seller in regard to post problems buyer is having.

OK the TC never arrived either another address issue it would seems,seeing a pattern here gents..........
On this one delivery was attempted two times but not to our buyers home as he was there and has video surveillance of his residence , no one came to deliver anything. No response from seller in regard to post problems buyer is having.

If it was one time, it could be a genuine mistake. If it was twice, it could be a deliberate attempt to scam.

For all we know, the box could be empty from the onset but if delivered to a fictitious address or a stranger, nobody would be wiser. There will be a tracking number and the package would show up as delivered where Paypal is concerned. Even if it was delivered to a random stranger's home, and contains just empty air, the recipient would not know what's going on... and parcel tracking status would still show up as "delivered".

Not a bad ploy. But unfortunately for seller, I went into the deal fully prepared for this sort of eventuality.

I have never received a picture of my name and address on a parcel nor any confirmation that the shipment was due to be delivered to me at the name and address I provided.

Now I see the exact same thing happening to someone else.

It is getting very very difficult to believe that the intentions of the seller was good or honorable, as much as I am doing my darnest to keep the faith.

Come on guys, let's all be real here. Enough of the kumbaya.

The seller is a scammer, plain and simple. The watch that he was selling was not a rep, he used Gen pics and offered an amazing deal so people wouldn't think twice. The whole oh I didn't fill out the address? I think only morons would believe that. I have never seen some post service employee fill out paperwork for the customer bcz it's high liability and increases the chance of mistakes. Second, why wouldn't the sender double or triple check the address on such an expensive piece especially after all the criticism and scrutiny he got during the sale, knowing that he is being judged by the handling of this sale!
I hate trump but sometimes we do get too caught up in political correctness instead of calling out [censored] as is.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like 3