When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II chs franken project UPDATE!

altesporsche

Ok received my GMTII very quickly from toro as per usual ! Awesome fella ! 

Over all I am quite impressed with the new GMT 

i have compared the insert and the bezel to my gen and aside from a little marker color dullness it's spot on ! Actually the rep bezel teeth look nicer astectically lol 

i have the gen dial that I'll add photos of later next to the new noob CHS and I'll be installing the gen bezel and insert tonight or tomorrow. Then it's to wait for my yuki hybrid to come back for the gen dial to go in. I don't suspect this will happen until I'm back from work in late January, but I think it will be a nice one ! 

Hunting a gen crystal and crown now.. 

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

Yea I'm excited to get it finished ! 

Im already having problems with the CHS movement. It doesn't move the hour hand in the correct way. I read somewhere else that someone picked their watch back up and it was minus two hours. Well I just wore mine and the same thing happened. It was 9:15 and my watch showed 7:15 .. odd and annoying 

• 3 weeks later...

nahh E its a 2824 CHS, a very finicky movement but when I figured it out I had it running perfect for the last week or so I was home and it kept great time and even changed time zones a bit ith it and it didn't mess it up again.. ill be selling the full movement / dial and hands when I get home in three weeks.  My yuki 3136 hybrid is complete, just not on its way to me yet :) 

nahh E its a 2824 CHS, a very finicky movement but when I figured it out I had it running perfect for the last week or so I was home and it kept great time and even changed time zones a bit ith it and it didn't mess it up again.. ill be selling the full movement / dial and hands when I get home in three weeks.  My yuki 3136 hybrid is complete, just not on its way to me yet  

Cool deal. I know there have been announcements about the Asian the gmt clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh really ?  hmmm this will be pretty cool if it makes it to the market.  I mean if they did the SA3135 im sure they can do the 3186

Theoretically yes you're right sir.
But the A3186 movement is more complex and problematic. They have not gotten it right yet but the issue CAN be fixed aftermarket. :)

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

18 hours ago, highoeyazmuhudee said:

ASIAN GMT movement looks like an eta clone base to me. wouldnt get too excited unfortunately

Im pretty sure it is an Asian ETA clone just like this GMT CHS movement, but we can hope that they clone the 3186, it would be pretty cool.  

I think still the best option is a converted Yuki or Gen :)   My converted Yuki is complete now and should be home when I get there in a few weeks to install :)   getting excited about it now ! 

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update on the build. 

I only got back to Canada Thursday night so i didn't plan on doing anything with this until the movement arrives, but I couldn't help myself lol 

so a little bit of news on the rep parts vs the gen parts on the bezel and the crystal. 

First the bezel setup is actually almost identical to the gen piece right down to the spring used (different colour) but the rep spring can be used on the gen bezel and vice versa. Also the (not sure the name) but the crystal gasket retainer with the 24 lobes on it for the 24 hours of the GMT bezel, the rep is exactly the same as the Gen only minor finishing details are different and again either can be used with the rep or gen bezel. 

They also did an amazing job on the crystal aside from the size of the cyclops as dimensionally it's exactly the same as the gen. 

The bezel is where it gets different, the finish is much better the height and shape of the chamfers on the bezel are different. The gen also has reliefs cut out in the back of the bezel I assume for weight saving ? Not much either way. 

The insert makes the biggest difference!! There is. I comparison of how much better the Gen is to the Rep. 

so that's the gen crystal and bezel assem installed and now waiting for the movement that should be here today !  and I'll install that with the gen hands etc.. 

here are some photos. 

IMG_2553.thumb.JPG.198cbbc4b7dd911378cc501cc72dba88.JPGIMG_2561.thumb.JPG.8e4a15c267e678103e1d6de69dbac64c.JPGIMG_2564.thumb.JPG.6c793460bbb2eb5991cf67f58fb29c4d.JPGIMG_2565.thumb.JPG.7ed9ccef716d1412bda1327170dba106.JPGIMG_2569.thumb.JPG.5edcf8bc8a540f00a6a609ed835204e1.JPGIMG_2570.thumb.JPG.c23edfc2795c0efd7d118eaafb2810ac.JPGIMG_2571.thumb.JPG.d1c88d7cdb9cb3f823b2e056637d1932.JPGIMG_2572.thumb.JPG.151bebe12ae60e7ba5339364d4413693.JPGIMG_2577.thumb.JPG.2566b213f7e5bfc1959df1a4fbfd18b4.JPGIMG_2584.thumb.JPG.db0164ce12bdb1b07b261f4e2efa7032.JPGIMG_2609.thumb.JPG.3d7ba6dd3f13579fa40aefb50025e36d.JPG

• Like 1