When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai PN616 or Omega Moonwatch

Pombok

Question

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum, I've had a good scout around and really like the look of this little 'hobby' that y'all have! There seem to be some great minds with expert knowledge. I own a gen Breitling Naitimer World and a gen Omega Speedy. My first foray into buying a clone leads me to two choices:

1. Panerai PN616 Carbotech from Perfect Clones

2. Omega Speedy Moonwatch Black on Black from Watch Station

It'd be great to get some general feedback and guidance:

- Do you think these photos represent the actual watch I'd receive?

- Any comments on the movement and / or parts listed?

- Are these dealers reputable?

- Do you know of any better options, maybe from the resellers on this forum?

Thanks for taking the time ?

Pombok

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum. I think the pictures are likely to be essentially the same as what you will receive from these sellers. Pam reps are generally very good and many are virtually indistinguishable from genuine. Some Omega reps are also very good, notably the Planet Ocean models. However the Speedmaster is not a great replica. The sub dial spacing is not at all the same as the genuine. Also the watch has a 7750 movement. There is a problem in that the native sub dial positions on a 7750 are 6,9,12 and they have been moved to 3,6,9 by means that are not exactly elegant from a watchmaking point of view and this can lead to reliability issues. In the end the choice is yours to make. Can you live with the sub dials being further from the centre than on the genuine watch? I have a Speedmaster and I also have a replica Snoopy. I'm not too upset about the sub dial position as I see the Snoopy as just a bit of fun.

Sogeha, thanks the great insight. I was leaning towards the Panerai anyway, since I already own a speedy.

The Pan looks like a beautiful rep, there's a link at the bottom of the page for some higher res photos.

Last question, do you think it will be waterproof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok great, I emailed the dealer for the Panerai to ask about it's waterproofing:

"All watches from my ends are pressure tested for 1 to 3 ATM before delivery .. Just ensure that caseback and crown is tighten before you take a dip with it."

Once I get the watch I'll post a few pics on this thread and make an assessment on whether to send it to a smith for waterproofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk