When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2017 Rolex Model lineup: I hope you like blue

dbane883

Not sure what's going on with the designers at Rolex these days.  Maybe they need new crayons.  But I think the rumored lineup for 2017 is a bit of a head-scratcher.  Blue text on the SD4000c?   I could possibly see it as an homage to the first Single Red 1665 from the late 60's, but why make the minute track blue as well?? Not sure that makes any sense.  If used as a tool watch, I think the blue minute indicators would be harder to see than the white.  Odd.

RPR_2017_Rolex_SEADWELLER_Anniversary_zp

Perhaps the most sensible decision is coming out with a SS version of the coke GMT.  I could live with that.  Oh, and the DSSD to be discontinued (thank god as I was never a fan).  

http://rolexpassionreport.com/20205/rolex-news-for-baselworld-2017/

The blue is odd for sure. Probably 95% of the beasties will never even get wet, and of the other 5% a tool user will be timing with the bezel anyway. So I guess it's not a "hit" but also not a "miss".

Bet it will strike up conversations with the fairer sex tho..... ;)

Rolex is not really in the 'tool' watch biz anymore. While blue text/markers may not be as legible, especially when viewed at or near rated depths, they market test better than white, which is often seen as 'boring' & 'old-fashioned'. At least, those were some of the terms that came up most frequently in the last focus group I attended (2 years ago).

2 hours ago, automatico said:

Imho they made the change from 'tool watches' to 'cuff shooters' when they went to big dot markers and fatty lugs.  Do not care much for their modern 'H. R. Giger' clasp either.  Too many parts.

Like Obama, Rolex shortsightedly pivoted to Asia when it should stayed the course and the results were disastrous in both cases.

• Like 2

@freddy333 - Do you mean that they sought the Asian market, and the styles popular there, rather than sticking with their "tool watch" origins? Curious as to the increase in case sizes - is that actually popular there? When do you suppose the shift happened?

(Please don't take this as political/trollish/etc - actually curious about this idea, as I'd never really considered it before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, almost all of these suggestions are ridiculously unattractive. So judging by their last big releases except for the white ln Daytona, Rolex is probably considering some of them. I personally would like to see a two-color black and green bezel for the 1166710ln, it couldn't possibly be uglier than that SD. :g: