When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage rolex

Jack77

What watch or watches are you interested in? Are you thinking about buying them completed or buying parts?

In general I'd dare to say that his vintage Rolex cases from 50-70s are the best. For dials and inserts etc quality can vary, however it can of course be a simple solution for yourself to buy a complete watch with movement if you don't to use all your free time sourcing parts.... However, always inspect pictures to make sure quality is good on the specific thing you buy. Also don't think Phong is a professional watchmaker, so a service of your movement might be needed.

Phong cases are probably the best that WE know of.  WE = RWG members.  There are better case makers/detailers no doubt but they have not been 'outed' and are unknown to RWG members while their cases are out there passing as genuine.  One example might be the infamous laser welded cases for sale on eBay now and then...they are genuine rotted out/damaged cases that have been welded up and detailed.  I would not want one (at the going prices) but I am sure there are others that do if only because the case started out as genuine.  I have one Phong case (1655) and it is top quality but just about any 'expert' seriously versed in the 1655 could probably spot it as a replica.

Yuki cases seem to be top notch too, maybe not up to Phong standards, but they are about half the price.  Another viable alternative is an MBW/MBK case but they are getting pricey, have faults (as do all), and need some detailing.

One thing that makes a replica case appear to be genuine is the sign of day in, day out wear but many have been ruined by overly aggressive aging efforts...nicks/dents/deep scratches, beveled lug holes, deep fried dials etc.  I have been wearing an MBK '5512' with 1570, Yuki dial and "Mary' folded oyster bracelet that looks pretty good (to me anyway) and when compared to a photo array of genuine 5512 watches it looks better than some and worse than others but at the price, it suits me fine.   

"I googled him (Phong) and a lot of information tells me he make many mistakes."

Everyone in this hobby/business makes mistakes.  Some are not noticed and some stand out.  On a high priced case, they should not stand out.  Otoh if you do not mind, it does not matter.  My MBK '5512' has goofy CG (viewed from the front) and I do not mind, so it does not matter.  The rest of it is A-Ok.  More or less.  

• Like 1

Try his son, Jensen. Same product better service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about his movements, but I use all his cases and they're great! Fits gen movement perfectly. I have my watches built and movements serviced elsewhere.

e718f8c45419074deabeaa3827daf80c.jpg

Want to Buy: GEN Rolex Movements and/or Franken Sub / GMT / v72 or DW Daytonas!

Off topic, really love that tropical big crown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly why I ask, so much mixed information.. i just dont understand why they dont put more effort and just make them perfect? Why miss out on one or more details? If you know anyone that is better than Phong and more trustworthy please tell me where to find them. Thanks for all the help:) 

Let's get something straight- you will never ever achieve perfection in a replica- it's just not going to happen- it will always be a replica. If you want perfection, go buy a gen and then you'll realize that even a vintage gen watch will have flaws probably, unless you buy a new OOTB watch from Rolex.

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/

MQ also has high quality vintage parts- check him out. Only drawback is that he's in Saigon, but I've never heard anything about people having problems with him.

Also realize that you're talking about high end replicas- maybe $2500-5000 usd- close to the point where you could almost buy a genuine vintage watch.

BTW, welcome aboard, there's a lot to learn so keep reading and maybe buy a few inexpensive reps to get started- work your way up the ladder slowly.

• Like 1

I googled him and alot of information tells me he make many misstakes and people need to send back a couple of times before they recieve the correct watch/case and also communication issues? 

So what are you looking for here? Assurance, or for someone to provide you with all the details?
If you want a perfect transaction experience 100% of the time, and have no patience to do your own research and learn through your own journey, this is not the hobby for you. Go buy the gen watch.
I see members here spending their time and expertise to reply you. Show some appreciation here for them. Nobody owes you any knowledge.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.
This is exactly why I ask, so much mixed information.. i just dont understand why they dont put more effort and just make them perfect? Why miss out on one or more details? If you know anyone that is better than Phong and more trustworthy please tell me where to find them. Thanks for all the help:) 

The Rolex factory is what you're looking for.
What were you expecting? 5% of the price and 100% of the quality?

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

Legend can sometimes sound harsh, but he is a good guy and a very knowledgable member, take his words on board. When I wanted to know about Phong, I did multiple Google and forum searchs. There is a ton of information out there. Read it and make your own mind up, this hobby isn't for those who want easy solutions because any of us that have built or had built high quality reps and frankens will tell you it is often far from easy.

I have dealt with Phong more than once and will do again, but how does that reassure you? You don't know who I am or anything about me.

• Like 1

Wow I did not know that his wife was in this forum? It was a question dont freaking go crazy! I bought many reps but reps from $4000-18000 must be perfect dont you think? how much do you think that the watches cost to manufacture? I mean the original? They are not so expensive so therfore I wonder if someone is going to charge this much it should be of very high quality. Anyway I did not come to this forum to start an unpleasant discussion I am here to get information and share. 

• Like 1

Everybody has in their mind's eye what the "perfect" example of a model looks like.  So they build it like that and to them, it looks perfect.  But to the next guy, a detail is wrong, so it's not perfect. 

Example:  a vintage Sea Dweller can have a high dome or service dome tropic 39 crystal.  Half the people like the high dome, the other half want the low dome.  Both are correct.  But to your eye one won't be "perfect".

If you want it "perfect" you're going to have to source the best raw parts you can find, then decide what the finished piece will look like, and find a builder to make it exactly like that.  When it's done, to you it will be "perfect".  But to the next guy it won't.

• Like 4

Wow I did not know that his wife was in this forum It was a question dont freaking go crazy! I bought many reps but reps from $4000-18000 must be perfect dont you think? how much do you think that the watches cost to manufacture? I mean the original? They are not so expensive so therfore I wonder if someone is going to charge this much it should be of very high quality. Anyway I did not come to this forum to start an unpleasant discussion I am here to get information and share. 

I understand that. It would help if you could make a short introduction on yourself, gain knowledge and share alike. That's what the forum is for. Not for newbies to gain knowledge and then leave, like so many others before you.
Have a lovely day.