When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT Master II - How reliable is the 3186 cloned?

nooblot

Fixing the hand stack can only be done by swapping the movement. Correct hand stack options at the moment are 1) Genuine Rolex movement if you can find one and have a lot of money. 2) A Yuki movement modified by someone clever to be a GMT movement using Rolex parts, also pretty expensive. 3) Take a leap of faith with this new and unproven movement now available from the dealers. It's long term reliability is completely unknown at this point. 

the 3186 looks like a modified eta clone to me. the escapement bridge looks like the ones they had in those 2836 clones (NOT the Yuki ones) that were made to look like the gen rolex 3135 ones. modified gen eta 2836's that had correct hand stacks existed many years ago from dealers, but no, they were not reliable in the long run due to the modification. is this new 3186 sporting a different modification than before making it reliable? dont know. if i had to guess i'd probably say not if it is indeed based on an eta movement, which it looks to be. anyone else see something different?

• Like 1

The whs swiss Eta 2836 with Asian GMT conversion was reliable and probably good for 10 or 15 years.  An etaclone GMT with whs might be good for 5 to 10 years depending on the movement.  The Asian etaclone GMT with chs may be good for 10 or 15 days (never had one but probably not far off).     

This seems to be an unsolvable problem much like the Asian 7750 Daytona sec @ 6 mvt.  'Unsolvable' = movement makers are too cheap to fix it.   :pimp:

Anyone has any experience on how reliable is the 3186 clone on the GMT Master II? I'd get the A2836 but it doesn't have the correct hand stack, or it is something that can be fixed by modding?

Taking one apart recently, I would advise you and others to stay away. The reliability is very questionable. It is very probable for the movement not to last long, given the way it's built.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 4:43 AM, Legend said:

Taking one apart recently, I would advise you and others to stay away. The reliability is very questionable. It is very probable for the movement not to last long, given the way it's built.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

Thanks! That's good to know! I guess I'll just stick with a sub until there's a solution

IF I were to fit a gen 3186, is this a direct fit or it needs modification? can I fit a gen 3186 to the regular A2836 or I hae to get the a3186 to fit the gen movement?

Yes it is likely a direct fit but slight modification to the case may be needed. At least that's the case with the SA3135 case when fitting a Rolex 3135 caliber.

Yes it is likely a direct fit but slight modification to the case may be needed. At least that's the case with the SA3135 case when fitting a Rolex 3135 caliber.

Do I also have to get gen hands to do this mod if I were to get the noob a2836 v2?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, nooblot said:

Do I also have to get gen hands to do this mod if I were to get the noob a2836 v2?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not absolutely necessary though gen hands would of course be ideal for aesthetics... 

The A2836 hands can be modded to be used with a gen movement.

• Like 1

ill have a CHS 2824 out of the new GMT for sale in about a month when I get home and install my yuki movement :)  at first I was quite [censored] off and hated the new CHS movement but once I got the hang of what to and not to do with it. it ended up fine.