When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Wristies thread

Legend

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, ziax said:

Wow that is old for a watch 50 years old! What a piece, I'm guessing it's a rep right emoji6.pngemoji16.png

It lives among its similarly geriatric brethren, aged 74, 60, 55 and 46 ... all gen.  But I treat them a little better now... :g:  Heck, 50 years is still wet behind the ears.  Ive got one that's 106 years old and a pocket watch that turns 134 this year.  Still run great too.  :tu:

• Like 1

@LifeTrekker, that's a Big Crown build, and a darn handsome one too. What's the old saying? "Jump from the frying pan into the fire"??

You might do well to tackle a simple 1680 build first, get the hang of researching and sourcing parts, and putting it together. There's a whole lot of fun in that!

Then start looking into a no-crown-guards build after you've learned the ins and outs and frustrations of the hobby. Don't burn out early.

For a 1680 build, look for an old MBW watch or parts. Barring that look for an MBK. They take gen spec parts and ETA movements. Mine in the photo is a bone stock MBW and it's plenty believable on the wrist. I've already got a pile of parts to upgrade it too. :Jumpy:

• Like 1

Lovely indeed, so much so that I wear it all the time... so I had it on during hockey practice a couple weeks ago, and spent an hour practicing slapshots... and broke the movement holders! Sheesh I didn't even know that's possible.

7afebc21c743705207809372ceed6cbf.png

So now it's off at the spa getting some loving. Back home soon!

That looks great! Would you mind sharing the details on that one for the new guy? Case, dial, hands, crystal, bezel, movement, etc.? You know, all the good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's a Vietnam case, Vietnam dial, 2824 movement with Yuki movement spacer, jk horological hour and minute hands (aged by me) tiger concept second hand,
Vietnam 7206 bracelet ,
I aged and re polished everything including buffing the bezel until the teeth wore down for a more used look ,insert is an aged Yuki with athaya pearl.
As@Nanuq, says I'd start with a cheaper build to cut your teeth,then it's not so bad if it goes wrong,

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

[mention=74139]LifeTrekker[/mention], that's a Big Crown build, and a darn handsome one too. What's the old saying? "Jump from the frying pan into the fire"?? You might do well to tackle a simple 1680 build first, get the hang of researching and sourcing parts, and putting it together. There's a whole lot of fun in that! 

Then start looking into a no-crown-guards build after you've learned the ins and outs and frustrations of the hobby. Don't burn out early.

For a 1680 build, look for an old MBW watch or parts. Barring that look for an MBK. They take gen spec parts and ETA movements. Mine in the photo is a bone stock MBW and it's plenty believable on the wrist. I've already got a pile of parts to upgrade it too. :Jumpy:

I think I'll try the 1680 build first, especially since my boss owns a gen, and I've told him that I plan to make one like it. But, the 6538 Big Crown just calls to me, like a Siren in the mist. I don't know how long I'll be able to resist.

On a related note, here's another watch that I picked up recently from a WIS friend in another forum. He originally picked it up from a seller here on RWG a little over a year ago. If anyone's interested, here's the link to the original sale listing:

https://rwg.cc/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/187409-Phong-5512-build

In any case, I'm quite enjoying it. And it's my first, honest to goodness "Genuine Rolex Rep" too!

1dba47b63c32cc50044acaf77088eeb9.jpg&key=c8da57c496b02e4b91ebee812c93fbe2516d4719d985a6230d68cc46538b2aa7

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk