When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Wristies thread

Legend

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'5512'

"This one is a beauty!  Can we see more?"

Thanks!

I put it away after taking the picture and I'll dig it out after Christmas and take a few more and put them on the post with the first pic.

'16003'

"Outstanding."

Thanks!

I looked for it yesterday and can't find it.  I made sure to put it where I would not lose track of it.  :animal_rooster:

• 4 weeks later...

"...I have only ever seen 1 other "Mystery" DJ in the wild --"

It might be a Black Onyx dial. 

Here are images of a few:

rolex datejust black onyx dials - Bing images

The DJ with the light in its eye is 100% replica with a painted dial and I still have a malachite dial with no markers for 36mm QS DJ...but no watch, it was for an 18K DJ but like a dummy I sold it.

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.de05d5f5ee0497214a60bc474d5c4546.JPG

More malachite dials...

rolex malachite datejust dial images - Bing images

• Like 1

8 hours ago, automatico said:

I still have a malachite dial with no markers for 36mm QS DJ...but no watch, it was for an 18K DJ but like a dummy I sold it.

More malachite dials...

rolex malachite datejust dial images - Bing images

I have always loved those dials & came close to purchasing 1 on TZ in the late 1990s. But, unfortunately, Rolex generally fit them to yellow gold cases, which do not look good on me, so I never pulled the trigger. If you can wear yellow gold you should definitely fit that dial into a case, preferably (but not mandatorily) gen-powered. After decades of collecting, there are very few DJs that still turn my head, but those with malachite dials are 1 of them.

"If you can wear yellow gold you should definitely fit that dial into a case, preferably (but not mandatorily) gen-powered."

I have an 18K replica DJ/Prez case but the dial opening is too big for an oem spec DJ dial and the dial falls through.  I had a slightly larger Bulova dial refinished as a 'California Dial' but it is also hair too small and just barely passes through the dial opening in the case and that is not good.  I have gone back and forth on this project for years and maybe it is time to come up with a solution.  I wanted to use the malachite dial and it is simply too small but the Bulova dial OD being the same as the dial opening might make it easier to use.

Maybe I could cement the Cal dial to a thin metal disc (thin blank dial) that will fit properly inside the case and not fall through so it would mount the Cal dial in the dial opening.  If the stem lines up Ok this might be a way to finish it but the movement would need a slightly longer CP etc so I would have to go with an ETA 28xx and not the Bulova 11BLACD that goes with the dial.  

The dial opening in the case is 28.5mm, an oem DJ dial is 27.9mm, and the Bulova Cal dial is 28.5mm so a 29.5mm dial blank cemented to the Cal dial would work.  

The Cal dial...

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.60e8ff443df4ae19b1df7959b949c95e.JPG

The case...

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.d37e8c7093c1442293fb84d95f7f73af.JPG

This being the 'Wristies' section, here is a wristie...

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.33910b66d6bdf9d0e7bde5e53220d54a.JPG

From around 2015 with DG 3804, hollow mid link bracelet, sapphire etc.