When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making an accurate thin case Pointed Crown Guards 5513 Submariner with a Cartel case????

rolojack

I now perfected my technique to thin cases, and that allows me to realize more accurate PCG cases using the regular cartel case!!!!! See: this transformation consisting of shaving the mid-case upper part allows the crown to appear centered. Exit the low crown issue !!!! I recessed the crown tube seat for the crown to be under the bezel, as it should. This also leaves more metal to shape the CG. I could make good Square Crown Guards this way. Two are on the way, we will see the outcome, but I'm pretty confident. Enjoy the pics !!!

P1320981.JPG

P1320982.JPG

P1320983.JPG

P1320984.JPG

P1320985.JPG

P1320986.JPG

P1320987.JPG

P1320988.JPG

P1320989.JPG

P1320990.JPG

P1320991.JPG

P1320992.JPG

P1320993.JPG

P1320994.JPG

P1320996.JPG

P1320997.JPG

P1320998.JPG

P1320999.JPG

P1330001.JPG

P1330002.JPG

P1330003.JPG

P1330004.JPG

• Like 5

That is really rather clever and excellent photography as well.

Lucky me, I have a Cartel 5513 I have been blowing hot and cold about for nearly a year, two rather good 5513 dials and a build slot booked with you. See how that might fit together :-)

2 hours ago, Sogeha said:

That is really rather clever and excellent photography as well.

Lucky me, I have a Cartel 5513 I have been blowing hot and cold about for nearly a year, two rather good 5513 dials and a build slot booked with you. See how that might fit together :-)

That will work well ! :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bart Cordell said:

The magical rolojack work !
@Sogeha emoji1303.png can't wait to see your 5513 my friend !

emoji632.png

A bit off topic, but I can't decide whether to use your dial or another rather nice dial I bought. I'm very tempted to use a Tonywatch or Phong case for your dial to do it justice. Either way the OP will be requested to do the case finishing magic.

"I now perfected my technique to thin cases...this transformation consisting of shaving the mid-case upper part" 

Super good work!

What method do you use...if you do not mind telling.  I have cut dial seats/dial windows etc and cut a few cases down next to the case neck for special bezels on projects but always stop cutting at the lug tops.  Had no trouble cutting out to the end of the case band.  Never tried thinning lug tops (sides yes) on a sanding disc etc and figured a cutter bit would chip them in a lathe.  Could rig up a small disc sander on the lathe bed and spin the case against it but never took the time to try it.  Also did not want to 'raise' the lug holes closer to the lug tops so never cut the lug tops.  

Thanks.

4 hours ago, automatico said:

"I now perfected my technique to thin cases...this transformation consisting of shaving the mid-case upper part" 

Super good work!

What method do you use...if you do not mind telling.  I have cut dial seats/dial windows etc and cut a few cases down next to the case neck for special bezels on projects but always stop cutting at the lug tops.  Had no trouble cutting out to the end of the case band.  Never tried thinning lug tops (sides yes) on a sanding disc etc and figured a cutter bit would chip them in a lathe.  Could rig up a small disc sander on the lathe bed and spin the case against it but never took the time to try it.  Also did not want to 'raise' the lug holes closer to the lug tops so never cut the lug tops.  

Thanks.

The trick is to sand down in dome. Not flat. Otherwise you'd cut out the rehaut for reaching the inside of the case on near 1/2 a mm. So, the bezel rteaining ring is modified too to fit on. I will make a picture of the process next time I do it.

"The trick is to sand down in dome. Not flat. Otherwise you'd cut out the rehaut for reaching the inside of the case on near 1/2 a mm. So, the bezel retaining ring is modified too to fit on. I will make a picture of the process next time I do it."

Thanks, that would really help.  I have seen pictures of rolex case blanks and they are more or less flat on top with a hole in the center and the metal between the lugs punched out. 

In this video it looks like the tops of the lugs are curved with a press:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rolex+watch+case+making&qpvt=rolex+watch+case+making&view=detail&mid=54B47D7666207645CD6854B47D7666207645CD68&FORM=VRDGAR

• 4 months later...