When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this really a 24-7000 tube?

capre

Hi guys,

I just got a supposed NOS 24-7000 tube in the mail and i noticed that the blister was opened and with further inspection my 24-700-0 crown does not fit the tube. The hole where the stem goes is to small for the stem of the crown. Should i return the tube?

Pictures of the tube:

f33736a001766772f2f2852653cbf9f3.jpg5d91d1702a0c8a2b708f06a24d45dde9.jpg098cfaed7645f6298ca426a92c7bcaf9.jpg

21 hours ago, dbane883 said:

the crown will NOT fit the tube until AFTER the tube is installed into the midcase..   the internal "splines" need to be removed with a proper broach/cylindrical file.  once the splines are properly removed, the crown will seat properly

Ditto & the seller's provenance is the only real key to authenticity with small, unbranded parts like this.

Need to be very careful broaching the splines out after installation because if you remove just a hair too much metal the tube can be too thin and may twist off in the case when the crown is screwed down a bit too tight or break off from a hit.  Use a tapered cutting broach and remove a very small amount at a time until the crown tube just passes through without binding.  As soon at it goes through...stop cutting.  Drill bits in a pin vise will work only if you have a set with very small steps between sizes and start out with one that just barely removes any metal.  The final cut must be made with a bit that is the same diameter as the crown tube.  If your first cut is with a drill bit that is the same size as the crown tube it can start cutting at an angle and ruin the tube.  This is why a broach works best...they are self centering.  Most of these tubes are nickel silver and pretty soft so they are easy to cut.

If you get a watch repair guy to do this, make sure they know what they are doing.  Some will say  "I have done hundreds of them"  but have never seen one before and do not even have any broaches.

Ditto & the seller's provenance is the only real key to authenticity with small, unbranded parts like this.

The seller is well known with plenty of positive feedback on a Italian watch forum. Should be a stand up guy. I had to ask since i have never seen a 700 tube without being attached to a case.

If you get a watch repair guy to do this, make sure they know what they are doing.  Some will say  "I have done hundreds of them"  but have never seen one before and do not even have any broaches.

Great tips there. Thanks! I plan to assemble the build myself if i have the time. Otherwise i will have a good watchmaker do the assembly.

17 hours ago, freddy333 said:

Always interesting to read. Thanks!

Btw i got a 24-700-0 crown in the mail aswell but from another source and i noticed that the wraping of the crown does not go as far as it does on the other 700 crowns i have seen. Hard to explain but i will give it a try. What i mean is that the crowns i have handled before looks as the wraping goes around the edge and in to the threads and the new crown still in blister looks as the wraping ends prior to the edge.

11_zpsbkjqdmlw.jpg

This made me curious and after comparing a few pictures of the blister box i found that a well known guy for replicating vintage parts sells rep crowns in blisterbox on his website that looks really close to the one i got.

Mine:
FullSizeRender3_zpspund4hxj.jpg

What i found on the guys website:
FullSizeRender_zpsvnhzj8op.jpg

Do you guys think that the crown i got is genuine? I was under the impression that rolex doesnt have this kind of flaws on their parts. But i dont know for sure. Maby they do?

"This made me curious and after comparing a few pictures of the blister box i found that a well known guy for replicating vintage parts sells rep crowns in blisterbox on his website that looks really close to the one i got."

Post the address of this guy if you do not mind.  I would like to see how close they are because most of my vintage parts are in green and white packaging...all genuine as it came from rwc.  Makes me wonder how much of this stuff is on eBay. 

I looked at a few used genuine 7mm crowns and they are crimped like the one in interaktiv's picture.

The crown pic you just posted in the package does not look too hot imho.  Is the base metal yellow tinted or silver tinted?  Yellow = brass = fake.  Silver = nickel silver, probably Ok but the cap looks bad.

3 minutes ago, automatico said:

"This made me curious and after comparing a few pictures of the blister box i found that a well known guy for replicating vintage parts sells rep crowns in blisterbox on his website that looks really close to the one i got."

Post the address of this guy if you do not mind.  I would like to see how close they are because most of my vintage parts are in green and white packaging...all genuine as it came from rwc.  Makes me wonder how much of this stuff is on eBay. 

I looked at a few used genuine 7mm crowns and they are crimped like the one in interaktiv's picture.

The crown pic you just posted in the package does not look too hot imho.

Its phong im refering to. Did not find any 24-700-0 crown in blister but some other crowns were in blister and looked pretty much like the one i got. I agree with you that something seems off with the one i got in blister packing.

"Its phong im refering to. Did not find any 24-700-0 crown in blister but some other crowns were in blister and looked pretty much like the one i got. I agree with you that something seems off with the one i got in blister packing."

Ok, I had no idea they were doing this.  I have used a few TC crowns on projects but they came in TC marked packages.

Edit:  I just looked at Phong's crowns for sale and it states they are 'quality made', '316L steel' etc so they are replicas for sure...but they are not pictured in oem packaging.  It is a different ballgame if claimed to be genuine and offered in oem packaging when someone buys one in good faith.

3 minutes ago, automatico said:

"Its phong im refering to. Did not find any 24-700-0 crown in blister but some other crowns were in blister and looked pretty much like the one i got. I agree with you that something seems off with the one i got in blister packing."

Ok, I had no idea they were doing this.  I have used a few TC crowns on projects but they came in TC marked packages.

This is either a genuine crown and miss in QC or a rep since the crown is wrapped but the wrapping is not as good as is should be. Either way this one is going back to the seller. Hope that c24 trusted checkout works. Thanks alot for your oppinions and knowledge guys!

19 minutes ago, automatico said:

Is the base metal yellow tinted or silver tinted?  Yellow = brass = fake.  Silver = nickel silver, probably Ok but the cap looks bad.

Base metal on the one in blister is yellow...

12 minutes ago, automatico said:

I just looked at Phong's crowns for sale and it states they are 'quality made', '316L steel' etc so they are replicas for sure...but they are not pictured in oem packaging.  It is a different ballgame if claimed to be genuine and offered in oem packaging...to some of us maybe.

You got a PM

Unfortunately, while Phong does deal in some genuine parts, I do not believe he has a Rolex parts account, so I would assume any parts you receive from him are non-genuine until/unless proven otherwise.

Here is a pic of a 1 of my older gen 700 crowns (originally purchased via Rolex service network) to add to the others for reference
700front1.jpg

700back1.jpg

I've bought crowns/tubes from Phong before and none came in blisters. I think the pics of the blister packs on his website are for reference only and/or dramatic effect.

Also, these old crowns were made of a brass core and then wrapped in stainless. So the mere fact that you see yellow is not an immediate tell in my books.