When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen vs super Franken hulk

Legend

So I met my good friend and brother@blackboxes over lunch and coincidentally we were both wearing our hulks.

An obligatory comparison was made and "Franken-ly" speaking I could not discern any visual differences between the two.. and to put the myth of 904L visual superiority to rest, I can say that there is ZERO difference visually between the 904L steel Rolex uses and the 316F/L steel used by the rep makers.

Of course this was upon casual but careful inspection, 1m from the eye.

The question is, which is gen? Lol.

c2a0118b211984df7ca1b613bc318789.jpg

b3daa0451fb7c120bf3aef9091ce2c18.jpg

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

• Like 1

Both don't look gen to me. ....pardon me!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Keep your idiotic comments to yourself. I've already stated one is gen and the other is as good as gen. You want to troll, go do it elsewhere.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

@Legend
I like to offer my apology to you for making such a comment.
I speak and write honestly based on what I observe.
I don't dish out pleasantries. This is not me.
If my observation is wrong, it has nothing to do with embrassing anybody in this forum. It is entirely my wrong observation.

@blackboxes
You are absolutely right. .....I need to change my pair of glasses. ...:)

1 minute ago, Vipassana said:

@sogeha. .

Being a Noob, I have inadvertently upset a few members here.
I now sincerely apologise.

You will live to fight another day mate. Being man enough to apologise will be respected here. You didn't upset me, Perhaps for some reason neither appear genuine to you and that is okay. In my time on this board I have learnt many, many things. Two apply here.

1) Legend understates rather than over states. If he says one is genuine and the other is a very good franken, that is what they are.

2) He can be quick to bite, but he doesn't hold a grudge.

• Like 1

@Legend
I like to offer my apology to you for making such a comment.
I speak and write honestly based on what I observe.
I don't dish out pleasantries. This is not me.
If my observation is wrong, it has nothing to do with embrassing anybody in this forum. It is entirely my wrong observation.

@blackboxes
You are absolutely right. .....I need to change my pair of glasses. ...

Vipasanna, (I guess the only VIP we are going to get out of you are the first three letters of your member name) I was not offended that you think that either one is a rep. I just think that your comments have nothing to do with the title: obviously one of the watches is gen and the other, as good as gen. You coming out to say what you did either implied that I was lying, or that you were making disparaging comments about the watches for the sake of doing so.
Obvious details on the watches were deliberately obscured to allow guessing. If clear microscopic shots were taken, there is no point to get anyone to guess.

The forum is meant for sharing and gaining knowledge. This is meant to be a fun thread mainly to showcase how close the superfrankens have become, and how patience, dedication and resources could produce very rewarding results. My friends here could come on to this thread and post "the two most horrible reps I've seen in my life" and I would have laughed along with them. I know them and what they represent. I know their intentions. But you, I do not know.

I'm not a bully nor am I a supercilious guy here. I know how to respect others here and that is the difference between me and someone like you.

Remember this please: you are of course entitled to your opinion. I respect that. But there is always a right time and place to express it. I meet ugly people (literally or figuratively) daily and if I were to express my honest opinions to them to their faces each time, and then claim that I was only expressing my honest opinion, and then apologize, do you seriously think that it would sit well with them?

Every position of favor and prestige has to be earned. You are way beyond your welcome here and I would advise you against going further down this path offending members here with ill timed comments or sarcastic remarks about greed.

This has nothing to do with you thinking about watches looking rep or horrible. It has everything to do with you respecting the intentions of my thread instead of a comment that's as relevant as a camel on a chandelier.

• Like 1

The bezel is the biggest tell. Depper engravings and slightly silverish tint on the numbers on the GEN. So the gen is on the right. Also considering the lighting, the Rolex steel is slightly more yellow (warm) than rep steel. You can actually see that on the photos. Regardless, if not put together it is imposible to tell the difference...

yes I agree the left is the gen  :p  It is not easy to tell and to be honest not many will be able to tell even with them side by side, so an amazing job on this one !   both are beautiful watches either way ! awesome post legend brother as per usual  !   Ill get my hulk just right soon enough lol then buy the Gen. I like the hunt and challenge of building a good franken !

What is amazing to me is how close they are in appearance and the huge price difference for what you get.

If they are this close and the owner does not plan on wearing it in water...what is the real world advantage of owning the genuine article?  Downsides to the replica:  movement may not be reliable if it is an etaclone or genuine 'dirty swiss eta' (no experience with the various 3135 clones) - may have any of the other common replica ailments (we all know what they are).  The genuine watch has notable downsides imho:  expensive! - very high service and parts prices! - big lo$$ if dropped on concrete, lost, or stolen - you need to be careful when wearing it because it cost so much - you feel like you should wear it even after you get tired of it because it cost so much - everyone thinks it is a replica anyway.  

Discounting the pride of ownership that comes with the genuine watch...I see the replica as a winner and the genuine as a $$ loser if simply taken as two watches that look almost exactly alike (this being a replica forum after all).  If they both were $500 I would take the genuine watch of course.  :pimp: