When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which hands for ETA 5517? Which case (Cartel)?

Revere

Hey all, I'm finally putting together a 5517 using a Whoopy dial from a while back. The dial is 26.5mm wide.

What ETA hands are best for this build? The dial has 26mm printing which I believe is like gen. I would guess that gen hands were on the order of 11.5mm long, and ~8mm long for the hour hand. If these hands have bone white lume, that would be a plus...

Regarding the case: Do the updated Cartel cases take 26.5mm dials? I'm looking at Cartel cases because of the reasonable cost but am open to other suggestions. The lugs do not have to be pressed, I can swing that myself.

Thanks!

Edited by Revere

It seems a lot of people have chosen to use Omega hands. I think I read that a few gens had Omega hands broached to fit because of a lack of genuine replacements. I might just be making that up though. I imagine someone will correct me

HR sells 5517 ETA hands and lastly I bought some from Jackflash in August. I don't know where he got them from, perhaps PM him and ask. Oh and if you are using a Cartel case, could you just start with their 5517?

5 minutes ago, TheSociety said:

HR has the best 5517 cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HR only takes 26mm dials :/ 

Are there any modders here that could enlarge a dial aperture?

57 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

It seems a lot of people have chosen to use Omega hands. I think I read that a few gens had Omega hands broached to fit because of a lack of genuine replacements. I might just be making that up though. I imagine someone will correct me

HR sells 5517 ETA hands and lastly I bought some from Jackflash in August. I don't know where he got them from, perhaps PM him and ask. Oh and if you are using a Cartel case, could you just start with their 5517?

I'll check out both the HR ETA hands and the Cartel 5517. I think I remember asking if the 5517 had the updated 5513 case as well, and can't remember if that had been decided..

Try Rafflestime for hands as well.  I used them for my modern milsubC project.  Note how the minutes hand does not touch the minute track.  The published measurements are 8.5/12/12.5mm, which I have not verified.

54153798-3788-4A70-A9D4-60F3D587FDC9_zps

On my 5517, note how the minute hand (source unknown) almost touches the rehaut:

32F7487D-0239-4DB3-8A5D-DA206E2CB8D4-161

Of course the 114060 and 5517 dials probably have different diameters, but I just wanted to show you how the minute hand affects the look.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by mir36
clarity
  • Like 1

That is a very useful picture @jackflash. The hands all look just a tiny bit off, but very acceptable considering nobody is going to believe you are wearing a 200,000 Dollar watch and very few have even seen a real 5517. I certainly haven't actually seen one, only photographs and want a rep solely for my own amusement.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 3:24 PM, jackflash said:

...minute and second hand are too long. Also, among other things, there are no accurate rep bezel inserts for the 5517.

Thanks for the information! I'll be following your lead.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you source your case? Does it accept a 26.5mm dial?

Thanks for the information! I'll be following your lead.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you source your case? Does it accept a 26.5mm dial?

Picked up the watch around 3 years ago from Puretime. I've just checked and unfortunately it looks like it's no longer available, a pity as it's a good starting point. The dial was from Ingod44 26mm if I remember rightly, also no longer trading. Bezel assembly is from WSO. The insert, the closest I could find, off eBay from a UK seller. Pearl from Yuki. The crystal is a gen T19 serivce crystal. NATO strap from Phoenix, the original MOD supplier.

21fc885151192004c9ec778743aace94.jpg

fafe9baab85f47d3bb2da14346e50334.jpg

b7586b5d4dcb6d779ea4235401d64d5e.jpg

db1520a12f2cd7c3ccf1912528a89a80.jpg

• Like 2