When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss Ronde quartz or ETA quartz?

JBond

OH thought you were talking gen on the rep you are not getting the new state of the art quartz. If you really want to go in deep on this use pics of movements then go look at pics of ETA and Ronda quartz movements to see which ones there are (not going to be easy), but no guarantee your going to get the exact ones in the pics anyway.

PS save the $100 you can always replace quartz movement for 20 bucks.

The top picture, the ETA has jewels in the movement, the Ronda doesn't. Ronda is usually found in low end gens. There is a lot of interchangeability in Quartz movements, guides are published online. The ETA is better, but as Mike says, probably go with a cheap movement and replace it if necessary down the line, all else being equal. Plenty of five Dollar beach watch purchases seem to keep ticking away year after year anyway. Even I have successfully changed out Quartz movements, so if I can anyone can.

Yeah, thanks guy.

I know cheap quartz can work forever this is why I'm wondering if it's really necessary to pay $100 more.

Im pretty sure that Ronda is great in term of durability and precision... And if it's Swiss, it will work forever!

Thanks for all your advices.

So, between this 2, what do you think?

http://www.pf-818.com/watches/audemars-piguet/royal-oak-ladies/apld01001-royal-oak-ladies-ss-ss-white-s-qtz.html

http://www.pf-818.com/watches/audemars-piguet/royal-oak-ladies/apld00051-royal-oak-automatic-ladies-34-5mm-ss-ss-swiss-quartz.html

I'm trying to know if the only difference is the movement but Joshua only said "ETA is better".

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

J

The ETA movement in that watch is a F04.111 calibre. It is £15 to buy brand new.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/eta-f04111-quartz-watch-movement-mzetaf04111

Save your money, get the cheaper one.

Ronda movements are great, I recently serviced (changed the battery ;) ) in my brothers gen Tag Heuer F1. That has a Ronda movement.

7 hours ago, ceejay said:

The ETA movement in that watch is a F04.111 calibre. It is £15 to buy brand new.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/eta-f04111-quartz-watch-movement-mzetaf04111

Save your money, get the cheaper one.

Ronda movements are great, I recently serviced (changed the battery ;) ) in my brothers gen Tag Heuer F1. That has a Ronda movement.

15 hours ago, JBond said:

... And if it's Swiss, it will work forever!

Not true. 

A well maintained swiss movement can last for a long long time, but just buying a "swiss" movement and expecting it to run flawlessly till the end of time without any maintenance is unrealistic. I have had ETA2824, the workhorse of swiss movements, fail on me due to poor maintenance. For quartz movements, I guess the extent of service would cover a change of battery every 2-3 years and an inspection for corrosion. But not totally maintenance free, and definitely not immune to failures.

I do agree with the guys though. Get the Rhonda movement. It has good reliability and excellent for daily and continuous wear.

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Not true. 

A well maintained swiss movement can last for a long long time, but just buying a "swiss" movement and expecting it to run flawlessly till the end of time without any maintenance is unrealistic. I have had ETA2824, the workhorse of swiss movements, fail on me due to poor maintenance. For quartz movements, I guess the extent of service would cover a change of battery every 2-3 years and an inspection for corrosion. But not totally maintenance free, and definitely not immune to failures.

I do agree with the guys though. Get the Rhonda movement. It has good reliability and excellent for daily and continuous wear.

Yes you are right. But I mean, if it's a Swiss movement it will be still more reliable that a Chinese quartz movement. A quartz is really easy to service (clean and change the battery). But you are right. It's necessary to take care of our watch.

I have 2824-2 since 10 years. I serviced it with Rolexman 5 years ago. Now, Im looking for someone who will service it again! 

If you have any ideas! Thanks :)