When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Telda Paul Newman Daytona Chronograph Replica

MJ77

Hi everyone, I am new to RWG and though I could write something about this special watch that was produced in a very limited number with the approval from Rolex. Since it is related to Rolex I thought I post it in the Rolex area. Hope this is ok.

I recently obtained this Telda Paul Newman Daytona Chronograph Replica and wanted to share some pictures and information with the forum. 

Based on some research I found the following interesting information:

• Telda is a brand of the Swiss manufacturer "Les Fils d'Armand Nicolet, Manufacture des Montres Telda S.à.r.L"
  • By courtesy of Rolex, Telda has produced a limited edition of 300 pieces of the Paul Newman Chronograph in the 90's (prior to the hype of the PN Daytona). So there are less of these than the original, which makes them interesting to collect
  • The watch has the same dimensions as the original with an automatic movement ETA 2824 with Chronomodule by Dubois Dépraz
  • The dial is very similar to the original with the difference of the two hour and minutes counters being switched
  • There are different versions of this watch with a white dial and with the steel tachymeter bezel instead of the black bakelite
  • Given the rising popularity of the original Paul Newman Daytona's Rolex requested Telda to replace the red "Chronographe" wording above the seconds counter with "Replica", as seen on my example

I am keen to hear if other members have any additional information to this watch, as there is very limited information available. Enjoy!

Telda_PN_Daytona_1.JPGTelda_PN_Daytona_3.JPGTelda_PN_Daytona_4.JPGTelda_PN_Daytona_6.JPGTelda_PN_Daytona_5.JPG1_JPG.JPG2.JPGDSC_4239.JPG

• Like 2

Very nice!! Also never heard of this brand. Interesting how they switched the seconds hand, I can't remember ever seeing a small seconds watch with the seconds counter @ 3

Have to say sir, this is a great first post. Informative and interesting. Thanks for adding to our knowledge base.

Unfortunetly the watch was without any papers. Given the 70/80's look and the brand not existing anymore I thought it was an interesting piece; not like the other Paul Newman Daytona homages (Gevril, Alpha, etc) that only came after the PN Daytona Rolex hype.

Some of the information I found here (unfortunetly in German):

https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?title=ARMAND_NICOLET_SA

As I live in Switzerland I will do some further investigation and try to get some information directly from Rolex. 

Will keep the members posted! 

As promised I did some further research and also contacted ARMAND NICOLET in Tramelan Switzerland, who are the owner of the TELDA brand and official service centre for Telda watches. By courtesy of ARMAND NICOLET they provided further insight into the brand and the watch.

Updated information based on my initial post:

Company information:

• TELDA is a brand of the Swiss manufacturer ARMAND NICOLET and has existed since 1921
  • The name TELDA is derived from the founders name ARMAND NICOLET, as he felt at that time that TELDA (he read his name in the opposite sense) was better to be used instead of his name 
  • TELDA has not been used for a long time but probably will be back again for some special products like this watch

Watch information:

• The bespoke watch was produced between 1998 and 2005 in limited numbers (TELDA is not disclosing any production numbers) initially for an American and Japanese client
  • Opposed to what is mentioned on the internet TELDA did not obtain any specific approval from Rolex. As the original Rolex Paul Newman Daytona watch at that time was already over 20 years old there was no patent on the style and TELDA had the technical capability to produce a watch very close to the original with high quality standards
  • The watch has the same dimensions as the original with an automatic movement ETA 2824 with Chronomodule by Dubois Dépraz
  • The dial is very similar to the original with the difference of the seconds and minutes sub-dials being switched
  • Initially the dial had written in red "CHRONOGRAPHE" over the hours sub-dial. TELDA however decided themselves (not under pressure from Rolex) to replace the red "CHRONOGRAPHE" wording with "REPLICA" in order to avoid that someone would print Rolex on the dial and try to sell it to unaware people as a fake Paul Newman Rolex
  • There are different versions of this watch. This watch is also available with the white PN dial and in a version with the steel tachymeter bezel instead of the black bakelite one

This watch remains to be a beautiful and mysterious watch...

There were a few manufacturers that took this same path. The most popular is the Gevril Tribeca. I had not heard of the Telda, but I had found some other company that did the DD2020 to create a Paul Newman-esque piece. I'm convinced that they were all made by the same company.

The latest to the trend is Steinhart, which took the DD2020 and put it in their Ocean One Vintage case to create a 42mm sapphire-crystaled Newman "homage".

Edited by jigelow

Interesting that Steinhart is now making a 42mm homage with a domed sapphire crystal (~$875).  

The Gevril Tribeca (ebay ~$1250-2000) very much looks like the TELDA, with the big difference of the Gevril logo on the clasp and crown.

There is also the Zurich based watch manufaturer Maurice de Mauriac that made a Paul Newman Replica Chronograph (~$2625), which very much looks like the TELDA in dimension, movement and dial style. The big difference being the clasp of the SS bracelet not being like the original. 

IMHO I think the TELDA is the best Paul Newman replica watch when it comes to being as close to the original - if you can get one and are willing to pay the price.

Edited by MJ77
Formatting of text

On 1/18/2017 at 7:00 PM, Mike on a bike said:

Well you are not getting a Telda (none for sale) or the Gervil (over 2k not going there IMHO ) , if your going that high better gen options.

I'd have to look, but I think I got my Gevril for $800 years ago. I wanted a small, somewhat waterproof chrono and found this used with papers and box.

• 9 months later...

Hi, i have also a similar watch to these. It is a Nicolet Starck (German Brand from Pforzheim).

Sorry for the bad pictures.

Watch is 37mm as per genuine and has a nice Plexi.

Movement is Eta 2824 -2 with DD Module for Chrono

The Strap width is 19mm.

The watch was released in 1998.

Cheers

Chris

DSC09611.JPG

DSC09612.JPG

DSC09613.JPG

DSC09614.JPG

DSC09615.JPG

DSC09616.JPG

DSC09617.JPG

Can't imagine that Rolex would authorize or sanction a watch that was designed to replicate a prominent model of theirs!

Their history would dictate otherwise & I believe whoever indicates that they did is not credible...

Sorry, the story does not compute....

Best, mcotter