When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Converting a 16030 to a 16220

Mark_zijn

I was wondering if it is possible to convert my franken 16030 to a 16220?

I googled the differences between them, and the main differences (besides the movement) is the crystal. Can I just swap the plexi for a sapphire, or are the case and bezel too different?

If it's possible to switch the crystal, what is the part number and where can I find the best sapphire crystal?

Thank you!

Edited by Mark_zijn

You can swap out the crystal- there's an aftermarket sapphire crystal that will work- it's parabolic on the inside so as not to impede the hand movement. Then you should have a 16000 DJ that looks like a 16200 DJ w/ a sapphire crystal. Other than the stem position on the cases, the two cases are pretty much the same. Ebay or google are the place to look. 

"I was wondering if it is possible to convert my franken 16030 to a 16220?"

If the 16030 case is genuine...best bet is to do as alligoat said and go with a sapphire conversion.  Sapphire 162xx cases have taller bezels though.  They are made a little bit taller so they will reach up far enough to clamp the gasket tightly against the crystal.  Case necks are the same OD.

• Like 1