When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Laser cutting, 3d Printing, and the future of DIY movements

RickFlorida

Gentlemen, and Ladies,  (I've seen one or two here I believe)...

I'm curious what everyone thinks about the near future of laser cutting your own parts to DIY movement replicas.    I design jewelry as a hobby and am ASTOUNDED as to how precise the 3d printing is getting.   My models that are printed in a SolidScape Max2 are smooth as silk.

With all this talk about 3135 replica movements that do not even interchange with gen. parts yet.... It got me wondering......  Is laser cutting of metal sheet almost precise enough to build a 1570 or other movements, minus the hairsprings and other parts?  It will be precise enough soon, in not already.   The idea..... someone creates a "kit" of files that you upload to the cloud service/printing/cutting service, and then they are sent to you with a list of the parts you will still need to buy.  (like aftermarket springs, etc).       I would think whichever movement is the simple would be a good start.  Main plates, gears, rotors, maybe bridges.... all of these things can be laser cut I would think if not now, in the future.  We already have desktop laser cutters.   The high precision should be cheap soon as well.   What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

That sounds very intriguing. I would bet that when this is perfected, the Chinese  rep makers will jump all over it. It would be a great way to replicate some of the movements that are beyond the economic boundaries today, such as the AP sec@12 chrono movement, a good 3135 or 3135 GMT. I would bet that a lot of the AP guys would willingly pay a couple of hundred more for an AP rep that was dimensionally correct, stable movement, etc..  Lots of in house movements that could be duplicated, then you would have a rep that is good on the outside as well as good on the inside!!

"I'm curious what everyone thinks about the near future of laser cutting your own parts to DIY movement replicas."

Raw plates would not be too hard to make but precision cutting all the jewel holes and various grooves, stands etc that are needed would be a challenge, not counting mounting all the jewels at the proper depth etc.  What I always thought would be a pretty good idea was a conventional movement (Eta 28xx etc with a low cost parts supply) precision modified to accept rolex spec dials/hands/dw. 

Off subject...otoh, how about a quartz 'smooth sweep' movement like the Bulova Precisionist/Accutron II that would accept rolex dials/hands/dw for modern fast beat styles?  Imagine a '16610' that was extremely rugged (no broken balance staffs/auto rotor axles/jewels etc), keeps time within 10 or 15 sec/month, always ready to wear, only needs a 2016 battery every 18 months to keep it running, and never needs the famous rolex $1200 'screw-u-tune-up'.  That would be hard to beat imho.  Btw, I bet if the rolex OQ looked like a regular DJ (instead of a fake Royal Oak), and had a high grade smooth sweep movement...it would still be in production and out selling a large percentage of their expensive little mechanical headache$.

...or what if RWC offered a retrofit high grade smooth sweep OQ movement to replace mechanical movements in submariners, DJ, GMT etc for the same price as their famou$ mechwatch tune up?  Before long they would be everywhere.  Most people today do not really like all the mechwatch hassles...myself included.   :pimp:

I would like to hope the technology improves to the point that we can print of our own movements. Certainly there are plenty of indications that the world in general is moving in that direction and no doubt our little hobby will ride on the coattails. OTOH I @automatico makes a valid and true assessment of the market in general, but personally I will always stay with our outdated Luddite mechanical watches. I live and work in a high tech world and for me mechanical watches are a little escape.  Would no more put a Quartz mechanism in a watch than convert my fountain pens to ball point. I like the antiquated rituals, same way. Drive an 8 speed automatic with fuel injection during the week, but revert to carburettors and a 4 speed manual for pleasure driving.

• Like 1

@Sogeha you and I could be twins. I am immersed in hi tech all day every day but when it's quitting time I leave it behind. And I have a windup panel clock from a WWII fighter plane for the sound of the ticking. It keeps a guy grounded.

• Like 1