When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 1016 questions

jphendren

Hello,

I have a franken 1016 that I had built back in 2012 that I have never quite been happy with and am considering trying to improve.  It is built on a gen Rolex 16030 case set, gen 1570 movement, Ingot gilt chapter ring dial, JMB bezel, gen tropic 22 crystal, Yuki 7206 rivet bracelet.  I never had the lug holes drilled larger, so was thinking that would be a first step.  Also, the case is a bit worn/beat up looking.  Was thinking about having it refinished (polished on the sides, brush on top of lugs). Lastly, the Yuki rivet bracelet has never fit the case well, the end links are kind of ill fitting and bent, along with the rivets of the first link contacting the lugs of the case.  Is this normal for these?  I found a local watch smith that use to be an authorized Rolex repair center (no longer), should he be able to handle all of these issues?

Would I be better off just buying a JMB V2 case set?  These didn't exist to my knowledge when I had this one put together back in 2012.

Thanks

• Like 1

"Would I be better off just buying a JMB V2 case set?  These didn't exist to my knowledge when I had this one put together back in 2012."

Probably be Ok as long as the 1570 will work in the JMB case and my guess is it should.  I do not have a 15xx no date movement handy so I can not try one to see if it will fit the JMB case.  I stuck a '1016' together a few years ago with a genuine 162xx case and 1570 and everything went together Ok but the case appeared to be a bit thick compared to a genuine case.  The JMB V2 case looks better so I got one for another '1016' project but never finished it.  

A 1575 date movement is about .5mm thicker than a no date movement and this can cause the stem to be too far toward the back in some cases.  A no date rolex 15xx will fit in a 16200 case and a 15xx date movement will work in a 16000 case.

• Like 1

If you are going for a NOS looking 1016, go for the JMB case. I prefer the worn looks so I don't really mind the naturally aged gen case. I built a couple of these a while back using a gen 1601 case and a JMB v1 case. I really liked the 1601 case even without enlarging the lug holes (but using shoulderless springbars).

The yuki 7206 may fit better on the jmb case as well but looking at pics of the gen 7206 they do not fit well like modern oysters do today.

If it was in my budget, I'd send it to Rolojack for case reshaping and refinishing.

Here is a JMB v2 case with a yuki ETA dial. All rep except for the gen folded oyster and clasp.

20170110_132731-1.thumb.jpg.8841fd24bcb449cbed8e807b1f0937c0.jpg

Edited by DVNE
  • Like 1

What is the OD of the 1570?  I just "installed" a new Yuki rivet on a recent built and the endlinks were very flimsy and didn't fit for $hit - the clasp was also horrendous...

I personally wouldn't want to carve up a gen case...

• Like 1

"What is the OD of the 1570?"

Exactly 28.5mm.

"I just "installed" a new Yuki rivet on a recent build and the endlinks were very flimsy and didn't fit..."

Never had a Yuki rivet, have a couple genuine rivet oysters and they do not fit either.  They just flop around, chewing serial and reference numbers away. 

Here is mine 1016 build, took almost two years to finish it.

16013 case set reshaped by Rolojack, I can't find 16200 for good price, and gave up on that..
1570 date movement - with date indicator seating.
Gen stern dial
Gen plexi
Gen 1016 bezel
Gen 7836 bracelet with 558b Endlinks.

Rolojack did great job on this this one.

f3bd7d791cbb8366bff11333f223efb3.jpg
0fe23d6e7865b051a4bae28d0660da7c.jpg
dcbfcf312644ad81799ee0c1bf412ed2.jpg

Thanks,
Gleb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Automatico - 28.5?  This last batch of cases I have might take one of these.  When I first started modding these cases the "dial seat" was about 28.25mm and a gen movement probably wouldn't fit.  The later cases (past year maybe?) have a dial seat of a little over 29mm so the gen movement might fit.  I really don't know as I've never had a gen movement to play with...

Nice 1016's guys.  It seems my experience with the Yuki 7206 is normal then.  I really like the bracelet, it is very comfortable and very thin and light, just never liked the end-links.  I hired a well known modder to put the watch together, and when I received the watch I was disappointed in the way that the Yuki fits compared to the 93250 on my Trusty Time 1016, that bracelet fits perfect.

The 1570 in my watch needs a complete overhaul, and I found a local watch smith that is willing to do it for $375 + parts.  Told me likely $500 when all said and done as he saw several parts that were worn.  Does this seem like a good deal?

I may check into Rolojack, but the movement is the first order of business.  

Jared

"28.5?  This last batch of cases I have might take one of these.  When I first started modding these cases the "dial seat" was about 28.25mm and a gen movement probably wouldn't fit.  The later cases (past year maybe?) have a dial seat of a little over 29mm so the gen movement might fit.  I really don't know as I've never had a gen movement to play with..."

I tried a no date 1570 in a last edition JMB case and the movement goes in with plenty of room to spare.  A genuine spec 27.9mm OD x .4mm thick 1016 dial will need to be carefully centered and solidly mounted in the 27.3mm JMB dial window so the spacer will have to be precision made.

You could make a dummy movement out of aluminum to use for fitting and making spacers etc.

1570 no date   http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Rolex_1570   Same as 1520/1530/1560/1570.

1575 date   http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Rolex_1575   Same as all 'time and date' 15xx movements.

From the Ranfft rolex 1570/75 charts:

"Do = 28.5mm"  is for 'Diameter overall' at 28.5mm.  "Dm = 28.2mm"  is for 'Diameter minimum' at 28.2mm.  The main plate has a step down from the back side of the movement for about half the thickness of the main plate that is 28.2mm.  This step will have no effect on our projects so 28.5mm is what we need.

• Like 1