When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Milsub 5517 And its for SALE!!! Take a look

ILoveWatches!

So i stoped by my friends shop yesterday and he had somthing amazing for me to see! 

Sorry for the crappy pics ill be going back today to get some good close ups and caseback and movement pics. He also has the original paperwork that was issued with this watch 40 or so yrs ago. Its in great condition never been polished and runs like a champ. I put it on next to my explorer 2 and tried to trade but he wasnt having it lol. Hes looking for around 130,000$ for the watch and paperwork/. Does that sound low with original paperwork?

5517 2.jpg

5517.jpg

$130000??? Did he buy it from John Mayer? The seconds hand is wrong (tail too long), as is the insert for being a gen. The T on the dial is not bold enough. I hope your friend did not get burned. It may be a Franken with a Rolex movement but there are many clear tells in this picture.

• Like 2

This isnt a prank guys i looked at this in person yesterday. The only thing that might have been changed was the bezel. The pics i took dont help either but ill get better ones this evening. Everyone says its a rep now just like the post about someones New Ceramic Daytona and the owner asked whats gen and whats rep on it and everyone thought it was a fraken but it was completely gen. Ill try to find the link to the post. Dont judge quite yet. Also the movement is gen that i know for sure and ill snap pics of it tonight along with the paperwork box and serial numbers on the watch.

Heres the link to the Completely Gen Daytona which lots of ppl said this or that looked rep and like crap but in the end it was 100% GEN  When i get better pictures tonight youll see that its gen.

Edited by ILoveWatches!

In swedish there is a saying "I saw Lassie" (yeah, the dog from the series).

Basically it means, in all due respect, I don't see what bad camera pics and the story adds.

We have seen 5517's on pictures before, usually with better lighting and camera. Notice, that I ain't even going to get in to the whole discussion wether it's gen or not.

Is it that you didn't know and he just happened to have one and it blew your mind?

or

That he wants to sell  it?

or

Something else that I've missed?

9 minutes ago, hologramet said:

In swedish there is a saying "I saw Lassie" (yeah, the dog from the series).

Basically it means, in all due respect, I don't see what bad camera pics and the story adds.

We have seen 5517's on pictures before, usually with better lighting and camera. Notice, that I ain't even going to get in to the whole discussion wether it's gen or not.

Is it that you didn't know and he just happened to have one and it blew your mind?

or

That he wants to sell  it?

or

Something else that I've missed?

To be honest it did blow my mind when i saw it and hes looking to sell it if the right buyer comes around but im not trying to sell it for him. I dont want anyone to get that idea that im posting from him to help him sell. I could care less if he sells it or not. I just thought ppl would like to see a gen 5517 with papers that was in really good condition. I also agree my pictures are horrible in this post i had to use my work iphone 5c (didnt have the iphone7 on me at the time) and later on the pics i take will be the a hell of alot better, with serial numbers and paperwork so everyone can see. I just think its amazing that he got the watch and its in such great condition and the paperwork looks like the last owner didnt even fold it, just kept it in a folder.

Might have gen parts or might not. But some parts are definitely not gen and to my knowledge not even the dial is. Correct me if I am wrong. Still a mixed up watch with gen and rep parts for 130k is simply hilarious. Also better pics won't change this fact :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see stuff like this...

Say it is genuine and someone pays $100k for it (remembering this watch is probably only worth this much $$ to maybe 25 very strange people in the world).  I sure would hate to get caught with one when they go cold.  Or maybe the guy who buys one of these things 'buys the farm' soon after the purchase and his dopehead son/daughter/nephew/third exwife finds it and sells it to the nearest pawn shop for $500.  Maybe the guy just loses it down a drain.  It's still a lo$$.

If the watch is a replica...$2000 will knock it in the head if the movement is genuine, but it will probably not be worth any less for a long time so if you were to put one together it would not be too much of a gamble imho.

Things like this are 'generational collector items' and when all the 'investors' go broke, lose interest, wise up, or go RIP, this stuff may not worth much.  We are also seeing this now with 'supercars' that I could have purchased in like new condition for a few thousand $$ 'back in the day'.  I did not pay much for them back then and am not (fill in the blank) enough to buy one at today's prices.  I have friends with restored or low mileage 1960s/1970s supercars and the cars soon become a full time job just keeping them from rotting away...rubber hoses/tires/upholstery dry out and crack, engines develop leaks, gasoline goes dead and sets up in carbs/fuel lines (so the owner runs the car every now and then to prevent gasoline damage and the short run time causes condensation that rusts holes in the $3000 exhaust system), 'pop top' batteries leak acid on shiny stuff under the hood, brake fluid turns into pond scum, rubber axle, crank etc seals dry out, exterior paint dulls, plastic dashboard parts/steering wheel rims etc crack...and when you finally get up enough nerve to take one of these trophies out for a Sunday drive, some Idiot with no insurance runs over it while texting his best friend Bob. 

This is why they make replica watches and brand new 'pay by the month' supercars.  :pimp: 

• Like 1

The dial is wrong, the insert is wrong, minute hand is wrong, second hand is wrong. thats the majority of the value right there.  and $130K lol good luck it will never happen for this watch. Without seeing the side of the case the back of the case and between the lugs i will say that this is a 100% waste of funds. On top of the fact that there are no papers for Milsubs  I see Mill subs go in the $50k - $75K to very dumb people, but $130K for a watch that looks as fishy as as a whores drawers lol  I don't think so.   

• Like 1

While we are on the subject...... How were 5517 lug bars originally fixed on the case?  I assume they were brazed, silver soldered, of pressure fit?

I bet that you can tell if the case is original by the way the bars are fixed on the case.    That way, a buyer will know that someone didn't create the watch with only an original dial.

I would chemical test where the outside holes could have been laser welded closed.   You could "etch" the spot to see if a different alloy was used to fill.

So who has knowledge of exactly what the fixed bars look like?

I believe from previous reading on the subject that they were simply pressed into the lugs and then the lugs polished. On many photographs it is possible to make out a circle where the end of the bar and the surrounding lug meet. Welding would not leave such a mark. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2017 at 0:33 PM, RickFlorida said:

While we are on the subject...... How were 5517 lug bars originally fixed on the case?  I assume they were brazed, silver soldered, of pressure fit?

I bet that you can tell if the case is original by the way the bars are fixed on the case.    That way, a buyer will know that someone didn't create the watch with only an original dial.

I would chemical test where the outside holes could have been laser welded closed.   You could "etch" the spot to see if a different alloy was used to fill.

So who has knowledge of exactly what the fixed bars look like?

I haven't seen much deviation on the bars on a 5517 milsub, all seem to have been press fit. The 6538/a is a little 

More confusuing ;) .

I also believe that even if you welded a case of exactly the same steel 316l for example the only way to verify the new metal is x-ray, I'd love to try and see ..as it's only what I've read on the interweb, and you know how that goes.

oh and that 5517 .... glws.

The rounded top surface on all four lugs and the melted-looking ends of the CGs make pretty clear that this has been heavily polished.  I know less about dial details and second hand sizes than the experts here, but if the seller is claiming it has "never been polished" when it obviously has been, I'd view his other claims as suspect too. 

Good thing you didn't trade in your Explorer!