When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My PCG 5513 or 5512 Build - Help me decide on parts

jigelow

Did the bend in the tension spring and was still loose. What I did then was bent a tension spring like in you picture @jackflash and put it against the retainer. I then put another, unbent retainer on top of that and popped on the bezel. Seems much more snug. I may try putting a third spring in, but I need to order some more as I pulled the second from my Snowflake. 

Just now, jackflash said:

Hopefully you won't need to do that. Have you tried the assembly together with the crystal on the midcase yet?

Yeah. All the examples I have given were assembled. The retainer fits perfect on the midcase/crystal assembly. Just snug enough that I need the press for the final 1/2 until it's all the way on. 

So I have an Athaya crown and tube coming, but in waiting I ran across a gen 700 I couldn't say no to. In reading, it appears the stem for this should be 1.1mm and the ETA I have is .9mm. I've seen some adapters, but the closest I found was .9-1.2 on Ofrei. What have you guys used to adapt the ETA stem for a 700 crown?

On 3/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, BimmerLover said:

I have had several 24-700 gen crown installed on sone of my builds and the stem size is always 0.9 so dont worry ;-)

Thanks! You're right. Stem screwed right in. 

Another bonus  is is the crown screwed right on the tube on the case. Not sure if that means there's already an Adrian or gen tube or if a standard Vietnam tube would take a gen crown. 

Regardless, the tube isn't countersunk enough to get the crow close enough to the midcase. It's not terrible, but small details like that drive me nuts. I'll attempt to drill a countersink this weekend. 

Managed to get the tube the rest of the way in by countersinking it a bit more. Even thought 98% of the time I'll never notice that it's a gen 700, it makes me happy, and isn't that what this hobby is all about. Besides, my Athaya crown and tube has been in San Francisco customs for a week.

I bought a new retainer off eBay from watchman. It's clearly different than the MQ retainer. It's much thicker; however, it doesn't have the angle where the bezel locks in that the MQ retainer has. I sanded the inner diameter of the watchman so it fit over the crystal and sanded the outer diameter so the bezel fit. I suspect if I went too far, it just wouldn't stay on at all. As it stands, the bezel is pretty immobile. I'll probably leave it as is for now. I never use the bezel on my 16610 or 7016, so I probably won't miss it. We'll see how anal I'll end up with it. 

I've managed to slightly age the hands, but I'm wanting a bit more. Anyone have any tips for chemicals? @slay @Bart Cordell? I've tried various mixes of salt water, vinegar, mineral oil, soda, bleach, gun cleaner. I'm going to be making my own non-luminous lume, but I don't think I could stand some super-shiny gold hands.

I'm also really confused on the dial seat. It seams that it is exactly the same size as the dial. So the dial would just fall trough if I let it go. Shouldn't it be slightly smaller so the dial rests on it or is that what the movement would do?

I'm afraid so.
Didnt you checked the dial seat BEFORE selecting your dial ?

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

From looking at the case I bought, it appears it's probably a cartel. I'll try to find a 26.5 dial or something so it doesn't go to waste, we'll see.

In the mean time, I decided to go with a case by @rolojack. I'll have to find a 2846 while he works on it. My 2451 will have to go towards something else. I guess the issue with trying to find screws to fit the movement sorted itself out.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jigelow said:

While @rolojack does his magic for me, I picked up a NOS ETA2846. 

What's the most common surgery performed on these movements to remove day/date? Just remove the disks and file down the middle position on the keyless? Or are there replacement parts that you guys are using?

No need to file anything on a 2846, just use a dial spacer and you have plenty of room.

32 minutes ago, Dlf said:

No need to file anything on a 2846, just use a dial spacer and you have plenty of room.

I guess that's the option I'll go with if I can't figure out how to remove it. But being a day/date, it has a three position keyless. A 5513 is a no-date. I know some have made this mod so it is only a two position keyless, I'm just curious as to the best route for it.

• 2 months later...

So it's been a while coming, but finally got this together. Found a Viet chapter ring dial I'm more fond of that's on the way, so it'll get swapped out once it comes and I'll re-do the lume on the hands as I don't quite like how it came out. I'll clean up this dial and see if I can use it for something else.

yeljhlu.jpg