When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Build Update

Caci

Daytona Build Update

I think I've finally got my 6263 where I want it (without having to spend a lot more money).

I had previously mentioned that when I got the watch back from Phong, it was taking on moisture.

I thought that maybe the back gasket was thin & I installed a thicker one - seemed to be OK

Next, I didn't think the crystal looked right, so I ordered a Clark and had my watchmaker install it.

He said "sorry, it broke. These replicas don't have standard dimensions". He re-installed the original plexi.

But, at least, he did get the minute recorder adjusted & it hasn't missed a click since!

I also noticed that my blatantly incorrect bezel had developed a crack @ about "160".

Well, I still needed a nice crystal and ordered another, NOT CLARK, based on a recommendation of a Forum member.

When I removed my bezel, almost 1/2 of the original crystal [censored] was missing (my watch guy is 84, I love him to death AND he got that V72 straightened out). Maybe that's where the moisture came from.

My new crystal was nice but when I tried to PRESS the bezel over it, I noticed it was REALLY TIGHT.

I remember reading how you sometimes have to "open up" these rep bezels, so I began to work on increasing the diameter of the step that contacts the crystal. 

So, it took a lot of trial fitting, to get the bezel to fully seat.

In the process of doing this, I watched that crack open up (obviously too much interference).

Anyway, by the time I did get it fully seated, the crystal split right down the middle!

Okaaay..

Ordered 2 more $16.50 (net) 25-21 crystals and have stored the watch in desiccant (rice) for several months, while waiting for a proper & inexpensive bezel.

Just got a 6263 bezel, (NOT a $450 Phong), off EBay

Installed new crystal, MEASURED & trimmed the bezel for a firm, press fit.

BTW, these crystals seem to "snap" over the case [censored] and you have to be careful not to shave off slivers of plastic from the sharp edges of the case.

I don't know how to link my previous post, but this bezel is closer to right.

I really am liking it, now.

Thanks, Chris

IMG_6269.JPG

Edited by Caci
Missing info
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...