When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken stem

altesporsche

Hmm so if my day couldn't get any worse.. first thing this morning my 911 decides to shit a fuel pump relay in the car elevator of my building at 8am lol not much room in there to get a push on that fat pig of a car.. so I saw red for the first part of my day.. then took my GMT franken out of my box to wear again a bit before I leave and I start winding it up as it sat and then it got really easy... hmm odd is it stripped ? No way it was just built lol.. haul the back cover off and pop out the stem and it had sheared off just inside the movement.. lovely lol 

anyone know now if this will need a tear down or if th bridge above the stem will allow me access to get it out... my other option was to put a strong adhesive on the stem and put it back and let it set then hope it comes out lol 

i think with this case the stem is actually a little off causing a side load and weakening the stem over time.... or the meatball at one of the watch shops here in Toronto sold me gen stems for Chinese pieces. Ugh not a good day all around.. any quick ideas fellas, something to cheer me up lol 

cheers !

C

• Like 1

Haha yea I'll have to do that and remove all hazards ? 

The porker isn't so serious I hope, just a $17 relay but they had to order it in for tomorrow and it's a pain in the ass to get at up under the dash.. so that's my Friday ruined lol I was hoping to go for a drive up north and now the weekend will be tearing my dash apart and stripping down my GMT before I head back to Africa Monday night. I'm too anal to leave it for when I get back next month ?

I can feel your pain. A few years ago I got a drip from the heater on my Mercedes E500. Nothing in the manual or online, so out came the seats, centre console, carpets, upper and lower dash, drop the steering column, instruments out. It ended up stripped completely down to the bulkhead. Part replaced, heater and everything else reinstalled. The neighbours were amazed when it started, drove and everything worked. Two days it took me and I was mighty proud of myself, right up until a while later I had to do the same job on my 320 estate. I figured out that with a little upside down, double jointed faffing I could do the job from the engine bay side in an hour and a half. Oh well, live and learn.

I don't know if you are connected to the interweb off the coast of Africa, but stay safe and best wishes.

Hah sounds like you are a lot like myself in that regard. I've always been one to turn my own wrenches on my cars unless it was something mundaine and I didn't want to touch like tie rod or something boring like that. But I can't handle having things not just right. My brand new BMW X3 had a creaking on the moonroof and BMW couldn't fix it as they didn't hear it although it was blatant.. so I took apart the whole headliner and found it to be plastic rubbing metal that should have had some sort of felt on it haha but the worse was when my fiancée came home and went down into the parking garage looking for me and seen her new truck all taken apart inside ?? she wasn't a happy camper, but it was driving me nuts, so it had to be done lol 

cheers ! I'll be moving around when I'm over there, the internet isn't that great and sometimes unavailable but I'll be around when I can. 

Cheers ! 

Yea it seems to be spot on. There was a little stress on the stem and i allowed it to go back a bit, so it wasnt so stressed.  It seems like the issue is the stem height in the new CHS case. although the measurement of the 2824 and the 3135 isnt much of a difference, it does seem to be a bit more in this watch. im going to check the thickness of the rep dial etc.. because i really dont think this should be this much stress on the stem. 

I have had success holding the watch down on a case holder (or put double sided tape on the crystal and press it against a table carefully) and depressing the stem release with a screwdriver in one hand and tugging on the stem nub w/ the other hand using a pair of tweezers.

Never had to disassemble anything to get a broken stem out as long as there's a nub showing. Otherwise, disassembly :(

• Like 1

Yea I figured this was going to be the case :(   oh well ill have to get at it when I get home next month and in the mean time get proper stems.  May send it to the doctor (I think you know who you are lol)  :)  if he is interested in doing the work.

Cheers !

Ill give it a shot when I get home in three weeks, I figured as much on the winding bridge mike from when I took a good look at it.  Thanks Matt for the heads up, im always anal about having the setting lever to the full out position whenever I work on anything inside. learned my lesson on that too many times when I was just messing around with movements not knowing what I was actually doing lol well I still don't fully know but its mechanical and im good at mechanical things :) 

Cheers fellas !! thanks for the pointers.