When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Surprisingly nice

gasebah

I am still trying to build watches with all kinds of parts I can find on the internet as I want to have as much practice as possible and I think it is boring to disassemble and assemble the same watch over and over.

But it is not so easy to find parts that fit together mechanically and even more difficult to find stuff that matches aesthetically. Sometimes the outcome is hard to foresee because you need to use your imagination to combine fotos from eBay or other sources to a watch that you will only see once it is build. This time I bought a Zodiac dial, a swiss aftermarket case and used some 1675 mercedes hands I had lying around.

I am really happy with the result. IMHO nothing looks off. To me it looks like a watch from the designer drawing board. What do you guys think?

IMG_0242.thumb.JPG.74e693a0714e09d00c4dc7fbdebd5ba5.JPGfullsizeoutput_446.thumb.jpeg.93c7f352f79d49f7ef7c6f1d98124310.jpegIMG_0244.thumb.JPG.60d360e1bb114554328dd332a3ad8f11.JPG

Here is another shot that makes the gloss dial more prominent.

IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.d37803875876bd513d783e1168316076.JPG

Edited by gasebah
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

I like it very much, especially the case. What is the red dot on the dial?

I was about to ask the same question!

Also, as I'm liking PVD at the moment, how about PVD coating the bezel?

24 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

I like it very much, especially the case. What is the red dot on the dial?

The red dot was a marketing thingy of Zodiac's in the 80s and early 90s. There was a red, gold and silver dot series. The red dot series mainly consisted of professional sports watches. 

http://wornandwound.com/zodiac-story-behind-curious-point-series/

17 minutes ago, kernow said:

I was about to ask the same question!

Also, as I'm liking PVD at the moment, how about PVD coating the bezel?

The case is available in PVD. http://www.ebay.de/itm/130777598931?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=430098293321&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I actually plan to make a watch with this. I already have the dial. Not sure about the hands I should use.

s-l1600-10.thumb.jpg.cd8cc7918a195b6b35ca0ee35e39f349.jpg

Edited by gasebah

17 hours ago, Nanuq said:

That dot refers to 22.5 degrees, which is the Stonehenge inclination for the Earth's axis.

Or course I KNEW that, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together! 

Zodiac had some really great designs! I really like your watch.

My favorite that I regret gutting and converting into a DW Daytona a decade ago was my Zodiac Sea-Chron. What a gorgeous watch, with a very cool thick domed acrylic crystal. It was also 41mm-42mm diameter sans crown/pushers, so it wore very well for me. Similar to a Speedy actually but thicker.

Oh my. I was very tempted recently to rip off a 7734 chrono in excellent condition that I got on the cheap to build a Tudor Monte Carlo. In retrospect I am very glad I did not and I meanwhile got a very nice 7032 M2M.

IMG_1030.thumb.JPG.3e4f9acc3609cca558abe7b99cc01803.JPG

• Like 1

It's tempting to do that, but I've vowed that, unless the thing is hideous, I won't gut it.

There are less and less vintage watches out there it seems. 20 or so years ago, the pricepoint on vintage pieces were substantially lower, so scavenging almost didn't sting at all. This is not the case anymore. Prices have really started to get outrageous--namely due to the internet & rapid knowledge dissemination. This is good and bad, like most great things in life

There was a time when I bought this for something like $650! Yes I stupidly sold it a few years later... Arrrgh, time machine please!

4e27897f3ac6f07c4b83aa36d2d9edcc.jpg