When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Noob and His Rolex Build.

JSebWC

Just looking back at this post and I made a grave mistake.  I credited the wrong builder and I am embarrassed by the mistake and for some reason can not edit it .  Tripdog is the builder that helped me with my 1019 Milgauss build    Sorry Trip   No disrespect bro  , just a bad case of brain farts when I was making the post lol 

Here is a few more pics of the beauty without his surgeon like precision   this would have not happened...

image (11).png

RNUQE8212.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

My friends....The GMT Master ref 6542 is finally complete and I am 1000% satisfied with how it turned out and I could not be happier!

The one piece of the puzzle that wasn't quite right for me was the bezel insert...first it was too tall and I sanded and shaped it to be more gen like...and it looked the part but it still wasn't what I was after.....After seeing the pieces that @Tripdog has been building lately and his aging techniques on the Bezel inserts ..I knew that is what I wanted!   I received it this week from the man and I could not be happier   The colours and the level of aging and patina are exactly what I was after!  The profile is slimmer than my NDT trading insert.   Because I purchased just the insert and not a complete assembly  I was concerned how it would fit in my NDT bezel.   It was a tad loose.  If I was to bump it , the insert could fall out.   This was easily solved with the use of some dial dots.   They hold the insert securely and are the perfect thickness.   

So I wanted to shout out @Bart Cordell  for his masterful dial creation and watchmaking skills in servicing my  ETA movement and timing it to +2.3 /day (cosc spec)  and to @Tripdog for the bezel insert and his assistance with my Milgauss 1019.  I can not thank you each enough for your help  I am truly grateful.   When I stumbled across the 6542 gmt  I knew right then that I had to have that watch and because of this community I am fortunate to now have one in my possession.

imageproxy (2).jpg

imageproxy (1).jpg

imageproxy.jpg

imageproxy (1).png

• Like 1

Wow what great results, two of the rarest and most iconic vintage pieces, and they came out spectacularly well. Those are watches to be proud of!

I was paging around this morning and this picture caught my eye... it just feels like a genuine piece sitting there. That's the hard part to achieve. Well done!

d81186cbc2ea54b3a685fa005f1c7af1.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bart Cordell said:

Looks fantastic with this insert my friend !

It was a pleasure to work with you.

Btw, nice roulette date wheel too emoji6.png

Oh Yes !! how can I forget the roulette DW!!   Thanks my friend!!   This thing has not left my wrist   My all time favorite and GRAIL! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

In the spirit of can't leave well enough alone..I attempt to bore you with even more ramblin about MY  Milgauss 1019 BUILD  and my never ending journey for happiness    This chapter I am naming 'MIND THE GAP"  So instead of starting a new thread  I will just keep adding to this one as it is a continuation of my journey 

Over the past week I have been obsessing over my 1019.   there are a few small things about it that bother me that 99.99% would not even notice or care about...but for some reason  I DO and IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!!   So I am here to ask the opinions of the builders here to get their input  to see if I can salvage this build or start over with a new case / bezel and modify.  Either way its gonna involve some pretty precise work and I have a feeling I am going to give some people some headaches with my obsessiveness  

Seeing Gen Milgauss examples  online has me feeling some Milgauss Envy.  @Nanuq had tried to set me straight about the crystal situation earlier in this tread but I was to stubborn to listen  after looking at countless posts and pictures on the net of the 1019  I have found that there is a plethora of changes made through the product line .  Not to mention the introduction of service pieces....from what I can guesstimate. 

The dials.  

2 colours   black and silver.

2 variations early mk1 with a chapter ring and 1/5th second markers and mk2 1/2 second markers.

I have a mk1 dial  but it is lacking the - between the oyster and perpetual .  I have seen only one other example on the rolex forums , presumably its a gen dial .   

The hands vary quite a bit from the years.  The style of the hands also underwent some change. Earlier hands were polished with a central ridge whereas later versions were flat an unpolished. Likewise, the use of lume was not always mandatory. Early version, notably the ones associated with Cern did not  have lume, though I remain to be convinced that it was not possible for some early versions to have lume. It is certainly the case that early brochures offer the 1019 “with or without luminous markers.  This is just something to note.  My issues dont lie with the dial or hands .  For me its the case and crystal and bezel 

There is also some variation in the crystals.  the earlier Mk1 models from what I can tell had a domed crystal  the later pieces had a taller crystal with a beveled edge   I believe that the service crystals also were of the taller , straighter sides with beveled edge variety.   These taller crystals were all slightly domed but not as much as the originals ..  From videos and images I find on the net  the majority seem to have the later crystals ( service type ) as they are straight sides with slight bevel.    These to me appear to be more similar to the ones found on GMT 's  sans the mag.   

The proper crystal for the Milgauss is the Tropic 32 . the tropic 19 is very similar but the 32 is larger because of the larger dial size of the milgauss.    one of these would not fit my case....well because  its just not meant to and that would be too easy....besides  the T32 are going for 450-1200 usd now for a gen piece.   

I originally was using the domed crystal   swapped to the cousins flat crystal , that had the beveled edge that I liked  but t feeling because I was after a beveled newer ( service ) crystal but then realize that the mk1 1019 has a more domed crystal so I have since swapped it back and I really like how I get the distortion of the dial from the 3/4 view.

flat beveled crystal   not tall enough and way to flat.IMG_3930.thumb.JPG.826349f2fa1cd627a3cf8acdd9a83ee8.JPG

domed 6538? crystal ?    shown with my 1655 modified bezel ..

IMG_8288.jpg.a9ae14b742815ee72094bf93e17bd2ae.jpg

IMG_8290.jpg.adadb71edb7f97f71988ec93364d4d69.jpg

a gen example for comparison

uydhgrshd.png.89e8f8bebaef16ecdac29abecb78fed9.png

and a later or service crystal for comparison 

IMG_2997.thumb.jpg.724ed7a9ef643571fcecba8d99043197.jpg

As with most vintage rolex  you will find variation in parts along the reference through its life...progression 

I have found a Gs crystal that is on its way to me that I think may be just what I am looking for...I am looking forward to trying it and seeing how this compares  taller, slightly domed with a bevel.....  I need to find a replacement as the domed one I have currently on the watch is showing signs of age and stress and had minor cracking ....new one should arrive next week 

ETEVRTite__19168.1477048771_500_750.jpg.9d8c776c714b37d18390055fe0f4f26d.jpg

My bezel is a whole different story and I will leave that for another time.   I haven't even gotten to the part that I has been bugging me lately  lol   if you have read up to here...this is where it gets interesting  thanks for sticking in there.

This is my dilema.....THE GAP!

Because my case is a silix 6538 case that has been modified to fit the crystal and smooth bezel   there is a gap between the outside of the crystal and ( inside of the bezel ) and the rehault.  see pics.

Gen

Rolex-Milgauss-1019-focus.thumb.jpg.5a9f74c3380576c3373057060a10b964.jpg

mine

1244466318_image(5).thumb.png.5e72ad64b17a7d2a326299414d2e2cca.pngmind_the_gap.thumb.jpg.9ae438d621ca9f5f531c4b3c9693bebd.jpg

Above you will notice not only the gap between the inside crystal and rehault but also the gap between the rehault and the chapter ring on the dial  ( this also bugs me.) Now am I tripping out and need to calm the fuk down and not take this so damn seriously or would these minor issues bother you guys as well??  I cant tell if I am going crazy here or not  I need your help and opinion?!!  If I am nuts for even worrying about these issues PLEASE TELL ME  but before hanging out on these sites.. I was not this picky and detail oriented   it is all of you guys that created this monster in me !! lol 

Now this is where I need to fix this problem because it bothers me.

Do I  try and reduce the thickness of the lip on the case ( if possible)  to reduce the gap (shown in yellow text in image above) to try and get more gen like and source a smaller crystal and bezel to be closer to gen  Then possibly machine the rehault out of the case and replace it with a slightly larger ring that will close the gap on the dial edge?  ( I believe Tripdog had done this on another watch he worked on , I believe a gmt?) 

or do I just get a new case? like a 1675 or 1655   shave crown guards and then machine the dial seat area to fit the larger 29.2 milgauss dial?  doing this will also fix the  gap on the rehault and chapter ring ( shown in read text)  and close up the gap between crystal , case and bezel?  

@jmb @tripdog   What do you guys think?  Both of you have machining experience and I would greatly value your input on this issue.  Tripdog had helped me with the assembly of this piece  JMB machined the case and made the bezel on for this watch and Trip had reduced its thickness   

There are other intricacies that come in to play here no doubt and having zero machining experience  I am certainly not an authority but it looks like it may be possible to save this case and make it work but is the hours of work worth it ?  would it be easier to start off with a different case  ( maybe a milgauss 6541 case)

AS always  I would appreciate your constructive criticism , questions comments or even the odd insult if you must.   I  appreciate your interest in my project and for taking time to read about it.

Have a good weekend !! 

cheers

• Like 2

16 hours ago, capice said:

I keep getting back to this thread....being a nonRolexguy for years, this made me flip....amazing care for details into Xtreme i might say. Hats off sir.

First off, thank you!  The fact that this thread is interesting enough to keep coming back it is a compliment.  My apologies for making you flip to Rolex..  The rabbit hole goes deep on this brand lol   Enjoy !  

8 hours ago, JSebWC said:

First off, thank you!  The fact that this thread is interesting enough to keep coming back it is a compliment.  My apologies for making you flip to Rolex..  The rabbit hole goes deep on this brand lol   Enjoy !  

The thread has had nearly 4500 views, so I think we can all agree it is of interest. I’m certainly enjoying it, thank you for posting and keep going

• Thanks 1

Came across this picture today showing the height of the crystal on the 1019 .  there seems to be a lot of variation when it comes to this model and the crystal for such a narrow seller compared to the 1016 or 1675 crystals...pretty static through the entire ref run.  

Top 1019

mimil810.jpg

mimil112.jpg

mimil115.jpg

The 1019 just has classic style points that the 116400 misses.  for me its the two shades of orange ..the lume compared to the hands....it is just not a hit for me.  everything else is great and the white dial model may be the next 1019 in time....only time will tell..

Edited by JSebWC

New crystals arrived.  ordered 2...received 4  not sure where the other two came from was not on my order list.  

two domed crystals ( very similar to my original 6538 crystal)  but these have a metal retaining ring on the inside edge.  Did not fit the case with the ring installed,   removed the ring and the crystal fit the case.   slightly smaller on the outside diameter so bezel is not a snug fit.  Added some dial dots for extra security and it seems good.....might replace the dial dots with clear silicone.

other two crystals are just a bit too small on the ID to fit my case.   too bad cause one of them had the beveled edge that was after but  wasn't tall enough  to my liking so it wouldn't fly.  last crystal was a low dome.    I am glad that the two that I ordered fit, nice to have a back up.

Another thing that I forgot to mention a while back but forgot to mention here is that my seconds hand is like .25mm too long!  The red tip reaches past the chapter ring printed on the dial.   both dial and hands are from Yuki.   so either the hands are wrong or the dial printing is...but its hardly noticeable ....however it does impact my ability to reduce the gab between the rehault and chapter ring as anything smaller will cause the seconds hand to rub on the case.    A different case or rehault ring could correct this gap but for the .025 mm  it hardly seems worth it!!  

My watch with yuki dial and hands. 

IMG_8292.jpg.e6912c538ff2ee3e7063f66ae0507cd6.jpg

pic from yuki site showing their dial with dj hands and seconds hand for eta movement. note the seconds hand and its position on the chapter ring.  the seconds hand is clearly different.  The shape of the arrow is different.   I would have gone with their case set had it still been available.  I think I would be happy with that set up provided its actually 38mm  Their crystal looks wrong tho...sign. 

1714794509_yuki1019set.jpg.095ae3ddcdaa0603c6b7fd39e68c573b.jpg

Gen for comparison

1600_1.jpg.606940631adcf68d0764308f79a666c3.jpg

makes mine look like junk  :/

Options. :

1:leave it alone.  accept it for what it is and enjoy it!   

2: find a new case and to fix those minor issues 

3: order a new dial and/ or  hands from Yuki and see if seconds hand issue is corrected.  somehow I dont think this will fix the issue.  its not like they make these hand sets , one at a time.  They are probably not even aware of the issue. 

4:  throw it in the river and start over?  nah  would rather wear it. but tempting lol   this hobby has given me OCD!

In my google searches  I came across this piece as well......its unlike any other I have seen.  The font is different and the text is smaller than any others.  compare to gen above?   First year., ??  Bad rep dial?  no idea.  was being sold a Gen IIRC  does look like an old watch tho..

Anyway  Happy Friday 

_DSC3901__02607.1449695477.thumb.jpg.a90e2f8423b4b3e761c82cc4d9aade90.jpg_DSC3896__37313.1449695472.thumb.jpg.6c445e41348d22705987eeb5a58a3e4e.jpg

A few new pics of the Milgauss with the new crystal.   

I have come to terms with the flaws and have embraced them as it is what makes the watch mine.  I have been wearing it quite a bit lately and I am really digging it.   The size has a great wrist presence.  The larger dial and domed crystal rally make it look and feel bigger than it is at 38mm and makes the dial pop.  the slight vertical brushing and colour of the dial changes in light and the distortion from the domed crystal just gives it such a unique appearance to both the watch itself and also to view the dial at different angles.  

I am gonna leave well enough alone until that time where something happens to the watch or the movement gives up ad at that time I will consider my options and revisit the build but until them  I am happy!!   

IMG_8292.jpg.2abdf34ef9aca1d5d5e9d84cb18e434b.jpg

IMG_8276.jpg.3a945f68a4e4df02d88e5be15224fba2.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg.3f4ea84d9cc7c24408f66e807f13f244.jpg

1117614555_1019dusk.jpg.a5d10580bfdef8778ef81ada1c56963b.jpg

• Like 1

Okay.....soo much for leaving well enough alone.  

The bezel needed tweaking.   The one that JMB made for this case was too thick.

This is what I looked like when I got it.\  I did not measure it but I am guessing it was probably close to 3mm thick.

1290621494_imageproxy(1).jpg.16e73e39971ad5aeb5e12e690450f273.jpg

When I sent the watch to Tripdog.  He shaved down the thickness a fair bit but to me it wasn't enough He felt that if I was to do any more it would not hold the crystal in place. so he stopped while he was ahead. 

1769969352_image(1).thumb.png.0067e6e88ff6d909ae11f9e5c662aa78.png

for the last few weeks I have been using a 1655 bezel that I sanded smooth.  I like the profile and height of the bezel but the diameter is just too big.  The beze on the 1019 fits tight to the case sides and the 1655 bezel sat proud of the case ever soo slightly.   

imageproxymjhkyjfv.jpg.c21e79e2ad84c555228a23a84e9a1f2e.jpg

Its ever so slight but because it was a little bit of a loose fit and catching the lip and losing the bezel was a possibility.   As I do not have a milling machine  I could not shave down this bezel so I was back to the JMB bezel .

This morning I decided to sand down the thickness of the JMB bezel   from 2.6 mm to 1.9mm  and because it is flush with the case it is now the ideal fit for the case.  It is a bit loose to the new crystal  I am not as concerned that it will come loose but I added a few dial dots to secure it in place.  

Here are a few new pics of the final fit of the JMB bezel.   it has a GEN fit and look now and that I am happy with!! 

2.thumb.jpg.3e6193656487462a17f3d018d60c9fc3.jpg

Gen for comparison : 

IMG_1552_zpsxnzv1fmo.thumb.jpg.9b1633ea7651fe090361cbc306c3954c.jpg

Mine could be shaved down another 10th mm but for now Its good! 

1.thumb.jpg.b7bf9a61b4709886a2046e52ccfb0ae5.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.fd7eca8442009b36baf1029520d8ae86.jpg

And NOW!!  I am considering this build 99% done.  I do want to eventually swap out a crown but that I will worry about down the road.

I will now consider this piece done and I will enjoy the hell out of it  a 95% accurate Milgauss 1019 for a 30th of the price of a Gen model.  How could I not love it!! 

Thanks for joining me on this journey.   Whats my next build??  well you will have to tune in next time and follow along!!

Edited by JSebWC

• 3 months later...

My new crystals arrived. Ordered 3 Received 6. Tip top crystals always over delivers.

f3307b196351f7d8ff2fc92d99ff4f63.jpg

Ordered back up domed crystal the GS ET. and was most excited to try out the GS PT PRISM TITE as they have the beveled edge that I was after.
69ca8b616a590940621af065df144f6e.jpg

However as you see on the package. They do have a grid pattern and the inside is the crystal has a prism effect on the slight domed top. This I was not expecting

The profile with the beveled edge looks good and is similar to a factory service crystal however the grid pattern does add a distortion to the face of the dial. Only really noticeable in certain light. Hard to capture in a pic

0d2580638a6bc792461fa6f2b61c7318.jpg

48ee1dc45b92c9030ed54115d9189b33.jpg

9eb98c88957adf1bf977f3982a0d0290.jpg

I don’t hate it and it would be another unique quark is the Milgauss had they offered a unique crystal like this but it is definitely not gen in appearance.

It gives the watch a unique look ans I will try it out for a bit.
cd75298d0f5661eab1dcd175de23ae30.jpg
a916ba5c6fba2b058f6f7b9afa2f15e9.jpg
9be5c10bb5b3b5913ef6250b332bec29.jpg

Now If I can find this same crystal without the prisma effect I think it would be perfect.

The search continues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mate it's just so crazy.... What you have done is soooo amazing. I can't find words to describe my admiration.
Just wow. I'll use your thread as a guide for my classic builds...

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback mate!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Brief update on the Silver Fish

5b28cb68ffbfdc68614a7518eaffbd8a.png

I won a Tudor Jumbo case on eBay this afternoon

12e6b3cd3ac3660e378ca0e4c4853e67.png

It’s urban lore that the Tudor Jumbo and Milgauss 1019 share the same mid case and bezel. Some think it’s possible others dismiss it as myth. I can not confirm or deny this but I think this case set will finally put me just that much closer to being 100% happy with this build. I will find out If the dial fits the case and if it does I’m in business !!

Now the question is...... do I swap the white dial / movement into this case or do I build another one. ? A matte black dial perhaps??

effceb3d7f7432eb0d9ed3f8c1477bed.png