When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Way of a WIS final chapter (most likely)

docthor

For some reasons it feels that my WIS life is coming to an end and I'm turning to a "regular" watch guy.
I already stopped flipping in 2015 and don't feel "the need" to buy every watch I like.
It worked for me that all my watches are running on swiss movements and that I started to buy and keep watches that have an emotional meaning for me. I cannot just sell them to have money for another watch. I have to save money to buy something new and in most cases I realize that it's not necessary to buy a new watch because the ones I have are all I need.
So I guess I can say now that I do have my final collection or that at least none of these watches will be sold.

20170217_131618cea1d.jpg

I have four watches for my four kids...

1. Rolex 1665 great white which is still at Domis. He's actually installing a gen dial, crown, tube and implanting a swiss 2846 with a Polexpete DWO. This one is for my first born, my daughter...she's a swimmer and very incident with swimming/diving/water sports.

2. IWC 3777 PP with gen dial and a swiss 7750. This one is for my second born, first son. He loves everything about the Petite Prince and is a bit of a dreamer and very creative.

3. Omega PO Pumpkin, nothing changed, only a swiss 2836. This one is for my third born, second son. I had this watch on my wrist when he was born and he likes not only big watches but Omega too :).

4. Rolex YM blue dial, also nothing changed, only a swiss 2836. This one is for my fourth born, third son. He's only 19month now so no connection to the watch other than that I had it on my wrist when he was born.

I plan to give these watches to my kids once I know that they are able to appreciate the value of them (mostly the emotional value). I bought gen boxes, manuals and catalogs to "complete" the packages. I also plan to franken nr. 3 and 4 with gen dial and crown. I think that once every visible part with the name and/or logo is changed for gen it's not a rep anymore :).
My kids know that my watches are builds and don't come from the factory...they don't care :)
Even though these watches are meant for my kids I wear them every now and then but very rarely. I think it'll be nice for my kids to get a watch they have seen on their fathers wrist and know that they have been part of his live.
I have a watch from my father (died in 2007) which was his daily. The watch is dead and frankly just a piece of junk...a cheap cheap cheap Chinese quartz daytona homage. But he had this watch on his wrist day in day out for many years...I have to keep it.

Then there are "my watches".

My first way to the rep fora and RWG especially was because I wanted to have a Pepsi GMT but didn't want to spend all my watch money on one watch. I already tried Steinhart and the like but it wasn't the same. The name and logo for me has a great influence on the overall look and so it had to be a Rolex. During my years in the rep world I had several Pepsis and have now the one that stays with me forever.
I got it as a gift from one of the nicest guys I know. I never met him in person but am still proud to know him and call him a friend (you know who you are ;) ).
This Pepsi is pretty rare because there's a swiss 2893 running in. I don't know the maker, the age or where it was initially coming from but I know that it is a very good rep with a movement that will run longer than my life is going to last (so another potential watch for my kids :D ).
Next to her I have a very nice Tudor fantasy Chronautic with gen dial on a gen swiss 7750. I had to buy this watch because she almost looks like my fathers daily. The moment I saw her I had to buy her even though I didn't had the money for it.

Then there is my Citizen Promaster Chrono, already known from

and my Seiko on Olongapo which I bought for my wife and me (she has the womans version) as a wedding day gift. The Olongapos are custom made by the one and only Jaffy Jurado! :)

The Casio was meant for doing yard work and stuff but until now I never had her on my wrist.

First row second from left is a nice gift I got from my wife last Christmas. It's a sun wrist watch, a very nice and funny gift and I always wanted to have one but never thought about buying it :)

And last there is my actual daily...a Citizen Skyhawk Titan Chrono...this watch can do everything and needs nothing. Even without light it still runs for 6 month, showing the exact time due to being radio controlled.

I still have some future watch plans but I'm not going to sell one of these watches. The last one I sold was with great regret but I needed the money...my franken 3777. But she's coming to a good caring home and maybe one day I'm able to build me another one.
But for now I have all I want and unfortunately don't have the money atm to start with the "future" builds...I have a nice Tudor gilt dial and gilt hands...just need the rest ;)

To all the other WIS out there who are maybe unhappy with their maniac situation...there's light at the end of the tunnel...I made it and you can make it too :)

• Like 1

That's a great post mate. I love the idea of personal belongings going down the generations. I am lucky enough to be the first born male of my generation, so I got my grandfather's gold Rolex. I will pass it on to my firstborn grandson, but only when I'm on my deathbed. I still have the Mercedes I brought my first born home from the hospital in and the Mercedes I brought my other children home in. I haven't had either on the road in years, but they are in working condition at the back of the barn. Not one of my children has shown the slightest interest in watches or cars, but I live in hope.

• Like 1

Keeping your cars for them is a great idea too...cross my fingers they're showing some interest when they're old enough :)

Lucky me all of my kids are already interested in watches...even the little one who just started to speak recognizes when I change my watches...he always says "Uhr, Uhr, Uhr" (watch in German) till I tell him "yes...it's another one" and then he smiles at me :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sogeha said:

I have found that no matter how kind one's children are, German children are always kinder.

*GROOOOAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN*

Ba-da-bum!  Psssshhhhhhhh    (rimshot!)

• Like 1

Sorry, I was replying to Sogeha's comment about German kinder.  :-)

I know what you mean about "keepers" in the collection for the kids.  I've got a few that my kids will hopefully be able to use to make significant down payments on first homes and such.