When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Daydate with Gen Dial

gamba66

Hey guys,

I just got this beautiful gen dial and want to build a franken with it.

Someone is currently offering me a bp daydate 118239 case with a pres bracelet but where do I go from there?

The biggest issue for me, seems to be the day and datewheels because the standard ones wont fit and im not sure where to get fitting ones for an eta 2834 or asian clone movement.

Would be happy to hear some suggestions. This only concerns getting all the parts needed for a complete franken build. I am thinking about letting SSTEEL build me a franken or someone similar in germany.

I also thought maybe just getting an 118239 replica and changing the dial and crystal are maybe a good way?

My last resort is sending it to mymanmatt but that is a bit troublesome since im located in Germany and the customs are tight here.

754f01a647c97b335b5dd83f4974c016.jpg

Edited by gamba66

I got two franken datejust Projekts...Problem is to get a movement ( eta/ eta Clone) that is High enough...because the high of the Indices....

Normaly 2824 dont fit with standart minute wheel...

I think you will get the Same Problem.

It will be Interesting to know what for a movement fit?!

Gesendet von meinem Sony Erricson K750I

• 2 weeks later...

A gen dial is usually much thicker than a rep dial and also the hour markers are high on a DJ.

When you buy an ETA movement or clone, it usually comes with h3 wheels. These are the wheels that have the pinions to which the hands are attached. When you are building a franken DJ using a gen dial you might have to change out the canon pinion (the minute hand presses on it) to an h4 canon pinion. Then you need an h4 seconds wheel or a sweep second hand with a long tube.

These are just some of the obstacles that you will learn to overcome with trial and error. O'Frei Supply, on eBay, has these parts. MyManMatt also has the parts and will save you some trouble.

I just had Mymanmatt build me a 118208 which is similar to the 118239 that you want to build. He used a gen dial and white day and date wheels. Maybe he could just sell you the day and date wheels and Ssteel could mount them on your 2834-2.  My watch was an old 118238 rep that actually had a 2836-2 in it- from 2008 and it was a swiss eta, not an Asian clone. I'd post a pic, but photobucket is giving me fits today

IMG_0600_zpsm9p6rpd8.jpg

Finally got photobucket to work- I don't think it likes Internet Explorer, sometimes I end up using google chrome.

This watch is a compilation of parts. Gen dial and white day and date wheels from MMM, swiss 2836-2 which obviously functions as a 2834-2 from an old 118238 rep which I got from Paul back in the 2006-7 range, case is from MMM and is a DJ 116200 gold plated case and a gold YM bracelet from an old cheapie Silix 16628 YM. The DJ case is slightly larger in the lugs than the real 118208 cases.

This is the gen 118208 for comparison

s-l16001_zpshb9iyxfk.jpg

slimmer lugs as you can see

• Like 2

It looks truly beautiful and gen.

What I am curious about: how is the lug to lug size pn your case?

And how would you rate the quality of the bracelet? The bracelets often seem to be the weakest link especially on the 6 digit rep dj and dd models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The lug size is 20mm and the rep Silix YM bracelet fits fine, but quality of the YM bracelet is ok, not great- I'm just glad it fits nicely.

I just got lucky that the YM bracelet fits well. It has the YM clasp- the short flip lock type typical of the YMs and not correct for a 118208 DD, but those bracelets are hard to find

• Like 1

On the rep DJ case, lug to lug is 44.2mm

On the gen case it's 43.27mm.

I never had a DJ oyster bracelet in gold except the one that's on my DJ- it's from Riyi002 which means it's unmarked

photo_zps41658cfe.jpg

I was going to try to get one for my rep DD, but riyi002 doesn't currently show them on his ebay page.

• Like 1

44.2mm (it's a rep DJ case, not a rep DD case). The original rep 118238 DD case is no longer usable- it was damaged by the USPS service and part of the gold plating was worn off due to rough handling. It might be possible to take all of the gold plating off and use it as a SS DD case, but i don't know if a gen dial would fit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Looks great what is the weight of this compared to a gen? 
Man, that is gorgeous Matt is the man!  

The weight of the 6 digit build is around 122 grams with all links. I know this because I have sourced a daydate with the same case.

Gen weight is 178 gr. so its not comparable

5 minutes ago, gamba66 said:

The weight of the 6 digit build is around 122 grams with all links. I know this because I have sourced a daydate with the same case.

Gen weight is 178 gr. so its not comparable

Thanks for the quick response. Why do you think that is? Would you think a fraken with mostly gen parts from MMM would weigh pretty damn close, no? Maybe I'm missing something. 

Thanks for the quick response. Why do you think that is? Would you think a fraken with mostly gen parts from MMM would weigh pretty damn close, no? Maybe I'm missing something. 

The 6 digit daydate weighs 30 percent more than the 5 digit one.. And gold is heavier than steel obviously. So it is pretty self explanatory why

What does that have to do with anything if you're using a gen bracelet and case? 

Im not sure I understand? You want to build a 6 digit daydate franken with a gen case and bracelet?

You would be better off buying a gen daydate then because only the case and bracelet will cost you atleast 7k (probablz even closer to 10k) and even if you had that kind of money you will never able to find a spare case and bracelet for a 6 digit daydate!

Even for a 5 digit daydate its extremly hard to find a spare case, let alone a spare bracelet..

29 minutes ago, gamba66 said:

Im not sure I understand? You want to build a 6 digit daydate franken with a gen case and bracelet?

You would be better off buying a gen daydate then because only the case and bracelet will cost you atleast 7k (probablz even closer to 10k) and even if you had that kind of money you will never able to find a spare case and bracelet for a 6 digit daydate!

Even for a 5 digit daydate its extremly hard to find a spare case, let alone a spare bracelet..

Yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. I am fairly certain I can get it all for around $5k. I have been researching for quite some time now. I appreciate your input though. Any other feedback is appreciated. I have my eye on a bracelet I am about to pull the trigger on. Wish me luck! 

Yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. I am fairly certain I can get it all for around $5k. I have been researching for quite some time now. I appreciate your input though. Any other feedback is appreciated. I have my eye on a bracelet I am about to pull the trigger on. Wish me luck! 

You most likely wont find a case, not even the bezels are really available..b

And 5k is very very optimistic for both a bracelet and a case.. I dont think you can even get a 5 digit case and bracelet for that..

In any case good luck and keep us updated

1 minute ago, gamba66 said:

You most likely wont find a case, not even the bezels are really available..b

And 5k is very very optimistic for both a bracelet and a case.. I dont think you can even get a 5 digit case and bracelet for that..

In any case good luck and keep us updated

I have researched a few hidden gems. I will report back once I get them and review the quality of the authenticity with an AD. 

And dont come up with the idea to use a gen bracelet and rep case, probably wont fit and even if it does it will look very bad because the gen 18k gold color is alot more yellow than the rep yellow gold which will look more like 10k and faded in comparison.

Btw bracelet and case are never really cost-efficient simply because their made completely out of gold. Still they will cost alot more than the gold standard price because these are rare rolex parts.

I would still just recommend you to buy a gen 5 digit, that can be bought for under 10k and are not a mix of parts but 100% genuine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro