When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Black Bay Inhouse - Worth It?

jigelow

I know it is a completely subjective matter, but I'm hemming and hawing over it, since I've fallen in lust with it recently. I like the in-house movement from a collectability standpoint and love the rivet bracelet. I also like that it could be a birth-year watch for my expectant daughter. I hate that they went with the shield over the rose.

With that said, I'm worried with how large it sits. I had the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage and ended up selling it - mainly because I didn't bond with it, but I did realize that it sat a bit large on my wrist. 

Seems you can find them for around $3k depending on the dealer. For that one could go a different route towards collectability like a fair to good condition Autavia or other vintage chrono. I realize it's a different world, comparing the two, but these are both kind of my obsession lately. 

This is the scope creep that happens to me on every build.

I like the In House Black Bay just fine but it has the same problem as all genuine rolex products along with about 90% of the other swiss brands...No Parts and Very High $ervice Cost.  I see this getting worse, not better in the future.  By the time the 'birth year' recipient is 18, it may cost $2k for a routine c/o...if rolex is still in business.  I would never encourage anyone to buy a new watch for a future gift, especially if you plan to wear it now.  A new red Corvette maybe...  :clap2:

Buying a new IHBB for investment to be sold as nos 18 years from now might net a profit though.  Example:  I bought a nib 6694 in June 1989 for $900...I still have it nos, what is it worth now?  About $2500 maybe.  Not much of a return but the BB may be a hotter item in 18/20 years.  I did not buy the 6694 for the future, I just never wore it. 

Something to think about.

I can get by with wearing vintage 1960s/1970s 15xx base 'youth-years' rolex and Frankensteins only because  I have a stash of parts and can work on them myself.  I could not afford them otherwise.

...and I'm too old for a 'birth year' rolex.  :pimp:

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with a lot of it. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to send a IHBB to someone like @misiekped to service over a Rolex service. Yeah, wouldn't have the papers, but I would be confident in the work and ok with the cost. 

I dont think that I look at watches in terms of investment as I do in terms of value. I'm cheap at heart, so I have to be ok with spending the money, or at least know I can get it back out if needed. 

That said, this is mainly a result of hitting walls trying to find the "perfect" dial for my 5513/12 PCG build.