When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Air King, need help

dandsoo

Hello

I recently bought an Air King case, dial and hands ref 5500 and wanted to build a watch using a 2824 movement and these parts. I bought a Yuki adapter ring for 15X0 and an old 2824 movement.

At the moment everything seems to fit, modified the hand tubes to fit 2824 size, put together all the parts but somethings wrong: the stem doesn't sit properly in the case and is too tight in the tube. When I remove the dial I have a perfect fit.

The dial sits directly on the movement and will be attached by double sided watchmaker tape, then the ring sits around the movement and the movement is tighten wit screws to the ring.

What can I do next?

I've bought a raffles #2 ring, maybe it will fit

Sand down the dial to make it slimmer

Sand the case on the interior were the dial sits to fit the movement better, but I don't know if the second hand wont be stuck in the cristal

Sand the ring were the screws that hold the movement fit to get the movement lower

Don't use the Yuki ring and try to make another ring

Some pictures maybe you can help me

IMG-20170306-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20170306-WA0008.jpg

WP_20170215_16_07_50_Rich.jpg

WP_20170215_16_10_09_Rich.jpg

Hello

I've sent the watch to my watchmaker and he put the case on the lathe and removed some material from internal bezel and managed to get everything working right.

I didn't put anything between the movement and the dial. The last photo was attached to show the ring.

Tomorrow I'll receive more photos with the watch.

Thank you for your support.

I've got a picture with the movement (automatic gear removed to show how the screws sit on ring.

IMG-20170308-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170308-WA0001.jpg

21 hours ago, Sogeha said:

I would like to help, but the problem and the solution remain the same as explained on your thread in other forums. If you are really stuck maybe contact a modder to do this for you.

Can you share with the rest of the class? Please. Running into something almost identical...

B