When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wristies - thread consolidation?

jigelow

Yessir; the dials of this era were champlevé; in this case, the 'print' that you see on the dial (text, chapter ring, tachy scale, etc) is not really printing at all, but rather the dial is engraved for the text and then filled in with enamel. This was performed really more as a means of preservation; 1940's era PP were not sealed from the elements, and so the possibility of water penetrating the case was a possibility. The enamel text was to provide longevity to such breaches.

The enameling provides a very interesting signature to the dial in that the text, chapter et all are raised slightly above the surface, and make for a very unique characteristic. If you look closely you can see it...

33550319613_e7277c7bfe_c.jpg

This method was not exclusive to Patek... It's present on my VC dial, too (double bonus for guilloche) ^_^...

35224183240_2e07110e2f_c.jpg

34801580793_3f744171cc_c.jpg

• Like 1

I thought so. I have pocket watches with dials by that method. In fact I know a girl who restores them or makes them from scratch and I have often wondered if she would be able to do a wristwatch dial. I can’t see why not, some ladies pocket watches were as small or smaller than a wristwatch.

Those pictures are very clear BTW and thanks again Ubi for sharing