When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wristies - thread consolidation?

jigelow

Bulova Accutron II 'Moonview' made in 2015, purchased in September 2016 ...

image.thumb.jpeg.88db9314bc27654425c8cd7b09284f49.jpeg

I've changed the 3 volt 2016 cell every 2 years and it keeps time within a few seconds a month.  No hour wheel trouble...yet.  The damage to the plastic hour wheel might happen when the date is changed manually during the time it is getting ready to change on its own...just a guess but I have not heard of a no date Alpha having hour wheel trouble.  Bulova stopped selling hour wheels and movements so I bought a 36mm lady style Precisionist for spare parts...same P102 movement, different date wheel and movement spacer.  The bezel does not turn on the Moonview.

With a GMT hand, rotating 24 hour bezel and screw down back, it would have been a huge hit.  Snap backs on 'water resistant' watches should be against the law imho.

Mesh bracelet from an eBay seller (20mm) and the clasp from another eBay seller...

image.thumb.jpeg.ba4a62505069af30435fb2e8126b69f8.jpeg

Mesh bracelets are fine but they are a hassle to cut to size.  Have to be careful not to cut the wrong loop or it can ruin the looks.  Do not know what the 'Y' stands for...Yet.

• Like 1

'Gubelin'

image.thumb.jpeg.d18687209746801ad47460a54f1e5261.jpeg

Bought this Baylor watch in November 1990 with a faded dial.  Had the dial refinished in Nov '92 and it came back as a Gubelin so I left it that way.  The trademark on the dial is similar to Gubelin and the dial company made a mistake.  Steel case, gold bezel (?), acrylic crystal, 20mm crocodile strap...the pusher at 8 sets the day of the week.

I've had a lot of dials refinished and there have been a few mistakes made by the dial companies.  One dial company refinished a ten diamond rolex dial and sent it back without the diamonds, just ten holes in the dial but they found them and made it right.  I've also had vintage 'snap back' Bulova, Elgin, Hamilton etc. dials sent back with the wrong brand names.

Baylor is a 'House Brand' of Zayle's Jewelers and there were some very good watches made with the Baylor name on the dial.

I bought one of these in Sept '92 for $140 and traded it away of course;

Baylor 4213 GMT Chronograph stainless steel VX 724 dates 1970's (fabsuisse.com)

Baylor info:

Baylor | OnTheDash

Baylor Watch Company is from Texas (chronocentric.com)

• Like 1