When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose Bezel fix?

dieselpower

Here's the one I bought but the biggest die wouldn't fit.

So I bought a PVC cap from a hardware store, and cut it off to like 1/2" height so it fit over my crystals and pressed down on the retaining ring. It was maybe 2" and cost a buck. I just went in and tried pipe caps until I found one that slipped snug over my watch crystal. Or drill a puck and use that :tu:

5027ab85f523146764e319cd623ce28c.png

a00b7e91750416ce4d1c7ed5874824eb.png

Ok. Post chardonnay I think it's clear in my tiny mind now. I've ordered a press similar to the one above and I've ordered some single sided razor blades. I was about to order the WSO retaining ring (£70) when I had a thought, what if the retaining ring is already a WSO one? I don't know, I've only just bought the watch. So, I've asked the seller if he knows what retaining ring is on the watch already, no point spending readies on a part that turns out not to solve the problem see?

I had also the problem that the bezel pop off..

So my poor solution is to removed the friction ring that pushed off the bezel.

But than the bezel was too much loose..and also too easy to lose the bezel on the road :-(

so I put some tape (the matte transparent one, see pic) over the retaining ring edge ,to make little thickeness the diameter.

Now the bezel is more stable but is not glued so I can rotate it , is hard to move but rotate ..for a presumed 40 years old watch I think that is accettabile that the bezel don rotate easily ..

2340533a3f0f4892c05cec4810d98e2f.jpg

07f7bc8adcc171300248b6e46fafc410.jpg

Interesting info Dan71. How long did the tape last before you had to replace it?

I have try the last week with this transparent tape..

But before I have try with another black tape and he worked for months..the black tape was over the retaining ring where it is in contact with the plexiglass .

The idea was to enlarge the diameter between the retaining ring (in contact with the plexiglass) and the bezel where there is the gap of diameter..

Now the tape (the transparent one) is also on the edge of the retaining ring , so I have fill the gap diameter between the bezel and where the bezel get stuck on the edge of the retaining ring ..

The black was too thick so was not good for the edge of the retaining ring and the bezel don't rotate..

The transparent tape is thin but also strong so it work ..

I hope it is clear is not simple explains in EN is my second language..

cbc073c30ec2ec88bb97fd274cf545e9.jpg

Rolex addict was not able to fix my 1680, so I think that is near impossibile to find a cheap solution ..

I think you have to buy many parts (an entire bezel assembly )more than 200€ and maybe don't work..

I hope you find a solution , if it will be under 150€ i can follow your solution to fix this [censored] bezel assembly.

Tks

• 2 weeks later...

OK Chaps. Update. I have been wearing the watch and just being careful not to knock it on anything and all was well. The bezel was loose but did need some pressure to remove it so I thought what the hell, I'm going to wear it. Yes, you've guessed it, this morning I was cleaning one of my other favourite objects - my Mercedes 300CE :

photo.thumb.JPG.699dd874de2b9e23afb0a78ec6deba98.JPG

and when I returned to my domicile I glanced at the time and lo the bezel was missing. Aargh. I searched but it was nowhere to be seen. So, to the watch drawer I went and decided to steal a bezel assembly off a later generation MBW 5513 that I had lying around and see if it fitted. Snap off and snap on it went :) so then I really got adventurous and found an old faded de-pearled insert from an early MBW 1665 which I glued into the 5513 bezel (coz I like the wabi-sabi look) and here is the result:

photo-2.thumb.JPG.fcbd36af0a46c8fd1dcc6a92df2af2b7.JPG

Derisory comments and laughter welcomed ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dieselpower said:

this morning I was cleaning one of my other favourite objects - my Mercedes 300CE :

photo.thumb.JPG.699dd874de2b9e23afb0a78ec6deba98.JPG

Derisory comments and laughter welcomed ;)

How can anyone make derisory comments to a man with a C124?

I have a 320 coupe that I bought in Cornwall six years ago. A deal which involved a late night, a bottle of wine, a flight, hotel, ferry trip and a mere 900 mile journey. Once sober it wasn't quite as cheap as i thought???

Lovely car though and not for sale this lifetime.

On 15/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, Sogeha said:

Minty, you haven't really got the hang of franken builds have you mate.

"was all gen, but I upgraded with Cartel parts"??

No dissing the nastymariner! That beast has saved lives!