When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Easiest way to drill vintage case lugs for 2mm bars when you’re a city dweller

Whilst a decent drill press is an excellent start, knowing how to drill and what to use makes the difference between success and failure.

Micky's machine will consistently succeed, a dremel won't

• Like 1

Whilst a decent drill press is an excellent start, knowing how to drill and what to use makes the difference between success and failure.

Micky's machine will consistently succeed, a dremel won't

@Adrian ... that's obvious and my purpose is :
1 - not to compare a dremel, which is a hobbyist tool, with a Proxxon which is a professional or semi professional machine
2 - not to say that any hobbyist with some cheap tools can do as good as a modder (a real one I mean ... not a "so called" or "autoproclamated")

But Micky is a modder (if I'm true) who works on watches for customers and have a financial responsability and I am just a hobbyist and I work only on my own watches (or those of some close friends) so if I screw a case nobody loose anything but me.
So the 2 logically economical options I have are :
1 - send my watches to modders
2 - buy some "cheap" tools and deal with that
And I like to do things by myself so I have choosed (for the moment) the second option.
If I ever want (and can afford) a high end build I will ask a very good modder to do the job but at the moment what I REALLY like in this hobby is much more to LEARN technics and BUILD things than to HAVE watches.

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

8 hours ago, manodeoro said:

@Adrian ... that's obvious and my purpose is :
1 - not to compare a dremel, which is a hobbyist tool, with a Proxxon which is a professional or semi professional machine
2 - not to say that any hobbyist with some cheap tools can do as good as a modder (a real one I mean ... not a "so called" or "autoproclamated")

But Micky is a modder (if I'm true) who works on watches for customers and have a financial responsability and I am just a hobbyist and I work only on my own watches (or those of some close friends) so if I screw a case nobody loose anything but me.
So the 2 logically economical options I have are :
1 - send my watches to modders
2 - buy some "cheap" tools and deal with that
And I like to do things by myself so I have choosed (for the moment) the second option.
If I ever want (and can afford) a high end build I will ask a very good modder to do the job but at the moment what I REALLY like in this hobby is much more to LEARN technics and BUILD things than to HAVE watches.

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm not trying to belittle your work and it's commendable that at you have adapted and overcome, to get your end result.

There is however a more precise way of doing this that will give you a consistently better result, without a great deal more investment than you have already made.

It will also help you with case tube installation.

That said, Kudos to your efforts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I'm not trying to belittle your work and it's commendable that at you have adapted and overcome, to get your end result.

There is however a more precise way of doing this that will give you a consistently better result, without a great deal more investment than you have already made.

It will also help you with case tube installation.

That said, Kudos to your efforts.

Thank you Adrian :) 

I understand you were not criticizing my work cause I know what a real nice guy you are (I have not forgotten the help you offered on my 16800 project ... although I have finally decided to do all the work by myself).

To be honest I'll probably buy more accurate tools in the future (I'm even looking at lathes on the web) but I will do that ONLY if I continue "playing with watches" ;) ... which is very likely but still not certain.

So I will decide this in a few months if I'm still there.

At the moment I already had a dremel-like so that was only a 65$ purchase so no risk at all ... only the risk to screw a case :(

About the "more precise way of doing" I'm really eager to learn (sometimes I fell like learning is my main hobby) so if you are ready to share please note that I'm listening attentively (no kidding).

Have a good day

Charles

• 3 years later...