When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GEN Sea-dweller 116600 OR GEN sea dweller 16600

tframo

1999 16600 with lug holes and SEL Or New 116600 SD4K?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. I'm torn between one or the other. What do you guys think I should do?

• 16600 with lug holes and SEL
    • 116600 SD4K

Well these decisions are personal, individual and often ruled by the heart. Maybe the earlier model will be better when you come to sell. Perhaps keep a picture of both on your desktop for a while and see which you are most drawn to. Buy the one you want and don't feel the need to justify the purchase to others. 

• Like 1

If it were me I'd buy the older style SD, one for looks and also for the value down the road :) but you need to buy the one that talks to you bud and forget what all of us silly buggers think :inverted: 

• Like 1

I'm with sogeha, what one likes, dislikes is a very personal decision. For the life of me, I can't see why folks poll others about what they should purchase. I suppose I have always been pretty independent and also the reason I tell my wife, don't buy clothes for me that you "think" I will like. Ask me first and I will give you a list!!
Having said that, I will tell you which one I would buy for myself. Being more inclined toward vintage, I would go for the lug hole 16600. But for you, the best may be the other. The nice thing about buying a Rolex, if it doesn't resonate, you can sell it on and not lose anything then buy the other. Buy the one that you feel will be the best fit for you.Whichever one you chose, you will be getting and outstanding watch that you can wear and enjoy for many, many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the models with lug holes, they are modern classics.  Just be sure there is no case corrosion.

The new models with thicker lugs, 'ratchet hasp' and ceramic bezels are geared toward current fashion imho.  They all look (to me) like the guy wearing one just bought it.

Keep in mind this is from a four digit acrylic slow set guy.

22 hours ago, panerai153 said:

I'm with sogeha, what one likes, dislikes is a very personal decision. For the life of me, I can't see why folks poll others about what they should purchase. I suppose I have always been pretty independent and also the reason I tell my wife, don't buy clothes for me that you "think" I will like. Ask me first and I will give you a list!!

In my experience, including my "poll" posts around decisions or purchases, I usually already know, but am trying to rationalize it. In a few cases, however, I am truly at an impasse. 

I don't find that the ceramics have any soul. They may in years down the road, but I feel more drawn to a Squale than a new Sub. 16610 and 16600  were the last of the classics in my eyes. I'm more drawn to the Tudor Heritage line than I am the new Rollies. 

• Like 1