When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problems with Big Crown

Guest ThePhilosopher

Guest ThePhilosopher

I won a big crown in a raffle late last year and after a snafu even getting the watch to arrive (postal problems), it did arrive; and I have been having problems with it since the first time I wore it. It has been sitting for a while as I try to find someone to service the watch, but that has been fruitless to date. If anyone has a suggestion on where to go to get this repaired, I'm all ears.

When I screw down the crown the second hand of the watch will do one of four things:

1) Run backwards and then stop

2) Tick at the same spot ad infinitum

3) Run normally and then 2

4) Run normally

There is also an audible click when I screw the crown down past a certain point.

Guest ThePhilosopher

Specs as reported:

Modded Silix Big crown case
HR 6200 Dial
TC Min & HR hand (gold plated to go with gilt dial)
Tiger concept 2.05mm ball  sec hand
Athaya v2 8mm crown + stem adapter
Swiss ETA 2879 

If winding, running, and setting work fine with the crown released from tube, my first suspect would be stem length causing some kind of binding , pressure, or torque in the movement. I know this doesn't specifically help you - but I would be interested to see. Hopefully a quick and easy fix!

B

I'm thinking the same thing- stem is too long or too short- I just don't know which it is, but my guess is too long since I have a 5513 rep with the a21j movt. and the short stem just makes it hard to wind- the crown engages with the tube too soon when winding.

3 hours ago, alligoat said:

I'm thinking the same thing- stem is too long or too short- I just don't know which it is, but my guess is too long since I have a 5513 rep with the a21j movt. and the short stem just makes it hard to wind- the crown engages with the tube too soon when winding.

Yeah. Too short wouldn't make it go backwards. I would guess too long and the pressure is causing it. 

Hey all just checking in with an update.  Got it back up and running smoothly.  End conclusion what that the movement was loose in the case (movement ring was not a great fit) and therefore making changing the crown positions challenging/problematic.  The running backwards I think was caused when the crown wouldn't be able to be put back into normal position and was jammed somewhere between time set and calendar set position and this being a non-hacking movement caused the reverse run.    Anyways took it apart and found the calendar wheel and day wheels were rubbing also on the back of the dial so I chose to leave them out during the reassembly, figured flaking paint and the friction was not a nice thing to have going on inside :).   Also installed a hacking lever after talking with Philosopher.

Anyways here are a couple photos as we all love pics!

DSC_2799.jpg

DSC_2801-Edit.jpg

DSC_2808.jpg

DSC_2810.jpg

• Like 3