When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1990 Rolex Air-King Rep

bobandshawn

Hi guys,

Not much going here so I thought I'd post up something new. This is (I believe) a one-of-a-kind build (for now, anyways) 1990 Rolex Air-King Salmon. This is the only year you could get the 3-6-9 Salmon dial with the lug holes case. Since everyone knows I build my own watches anyway I didn't stress over the 36mm case size... 

Specs?

JMB Case set

Gen Crown

Gen ETA 2824

Raffles Dial and Hands

XW9IzCU.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It looks much "salmonier" in that light...it's really more muted. Ken has this color - and a deep rich blue. The blue will be my next build on a modern DJ case and jubilee as a more "dressy" option. Salmon isn't really a "go-to" color for me either, but I could only find ONE gen example in all my searching on the interwebs so this is a standout for me!

For some reason 3,6,9 dials have always really appealed to me. I recently looked at a gen Airking that had Mercedes hands fitted and thought it looked great. I'm also not sure about a salmon dial, I suspect seeing it for real I would either pass on it or really fall for it. Blue is a safer choice, I look forward to seeing that one built.

I like the salmon dial AK.  It's a sunny summertime watch.

"I didn't stress over the 36mm case size..."

Have a couple 36mm black dial 3-6-9 Air Kings from Abay years ago and they look like Explorers with regular hands and no SCOC blurb.  What's funny is no one ever noticed they were too big even when they examined them...and a lot of people looked them over. 

I always thought the sapphire crystal 14000/14010 AK looked bigger than 34mm anyway.