When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying first rep

TheRolexDream

Hello everyone! I would like to quickly introduce myself, I am a 21 year old finance major and I currently do not own a watch. I do not have a job and only have $2,000 in the bank. I am materialistic and love luxury things, such as a Rolex. This summer I have an internship at Fidelity Investments (a popular local firm) as an analyst. Walking through the firm, seeing everyone sporting Submariners/Daytonas made me feel like it is probably time for me to get a watch. I am very interested in the submariner, however the cheapest gen I could find is pre-owned off ebay for around $3-4k. So basically my only option is to buy a sub. However, I do fear that I will walk into the firm wearing a rep and someone with a gen will call me out and embarrass me in front of everyone. I am willing to pay $1000 for a rep. I have done some research and my consensus is that a TC extreme v7 Sub is the closest rep to gen. However, I am not knowledgeable enough about this watch to identify the flaws in the TC extreme v7 and I was wondering if anyone here knows the flaws so that I can franken it. I am willing to pay the extra money for gen parts as long as my watch will look and feel as gen as possible. I am trying to compare the TC vs the gen by looking at online pictures and I cant notice any differences, but I know there has to be some flaws in the TC even if they are minor.

Thank you to anyone who reads this and helps me out! :)

Hello and welcome to the community. First, Nota Bene. All reps have faults/tells. Having said that a TC is very good out of the box and can be made better. I very much doubt any of those fancy people you work with could tell. Members here could, an Authorised Dealer could and a really knowledgeable and serious Rolex enthusiast just might. However all of us would have to see it quite closely. After a while looking at enlarged pictures online one tends to forget how small a watch is from five feet away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

Hello and welcome to the community. First, Nota Bene. All reps have faults/tells. Having said that a TC is very good out of the box and can be made better. I very much doubt any of those fancy people you work with could tell. Members here could, an Authorised Dealer could and a really knowledgeable and serious Rolex enthusiast just might. However all of us would have to see it quite closely. After a while looking at enlarged pictures online one tends to forget how small a watch is from five feet away. 

I appreciate your reply, but what is your consensus? Are you suggesting that I shouldn't bother with modifying my TC and that I should just sport it out of the box?

Also, I believe RWI is down and I have no way to contact TC. Do you know how I can contact him on here?

Hmmm...Where to start...I know you weren't asking for my advice on life, but I'm going to give it anyways...

...particularly in FINANCE...most see a watch as a right of passage...a milestone marker...

And probably expect ANY Rolex they see that's just too new, or on the "wrong" person to be a rep. Remember it's their job to size up the bank accounts and spending tendencies of people.

So...when they see someone who is 21...particularly an INTERN...they will immediately think rep even if you buy a gen watch. Upon meeting you and getting to know your situation in life...they will either come to the decision that A)it's DEFINITELY a rep, or B)it's bad form to flaunt a Rolex when you're an intern.

In either case...they won't say "hey look at this rep"...they will simply think it and "know it".

Now...you sound like a very nice person...maybe even can "pull off" a watch at your age...but I assure you, you aren't impressing anyone unless you plan to rock something north of a $50k timepiece. It's finance after all...rolexs are about as common and unremarkable as beats headphones at the local high school.

If you must though....here's some advice...get a gen Tudor, a gen Seiko, or a Gen omega. Those are watches that scream gen...and are within your budget, and well respected by any watch fan. There's nothing wrong with buying within your BUDGET. Particularly a good lesson to display in FINANCE.

Now...once you've been working for a few years...and have a client list to impress...feel free to go nuts on gens or reps that you like.

If you must...get a TC sub...any version...tape up the crystal, remove the movement, and put the watch case and bracelet in a coffee can filled with screws, nuts, bolts, sand...and shake around for a while....then, maybe you have something worth wearing. A slightly aged Rolex that will pass 99% of the closeup inspections it gets (which won't be any) but at least didn't look like you went to canal street the week before your internship to buy some fake to try to impress people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually...I take all that back....apply for a credit card and take your $2k down to the Rollie dealer and go balls out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Italiansub said:

Hmmm...Where to start...I know you weren't asking for my advice on life, but I'm going to give it anyways...

...particularly in FINANCE...most see a watch as a right of passage...a milestone marker...

And probably expect ANY Rolex they see that's just too new, or on the "wrong" person to be a rep. Remember it's their job to size up the bank accounts and spending tendencies of people.

So...when they see someone who is 21...particularly an INTERN...they will immediately think rep even if you buy a gen watch. Upon meeting you and getting to know your situation in life...they will either come to the decision that A)it's DEFINITELY a rep, or B)it's bad form to flaunt a Rolex when you're an intern.

In either case...they won't say "hey look at this rep"...they will simply think it and "know it".

Now...you sound like a very nice person...maybe even can "pull off" a watch at your age...but I assure you, you aren't impressing anyone unless you plan to rock something north of a $50k timepiece. It's finance after all...rolexs are about as common and unremarkable as beats headphones at the local high school.

If you must though....here's some advice...get a gen Tudor, a gen Seiko, or a Gen omega. Those are watches that scream gen...and are within your budget, and well respected by any watch fan. There's nothing wrong with buying within your BUDGET. Particularly a good lesson to display in FINANCE.

Now...once you've been working for a few years...and have a client list to impress...feel free to go nuts on gens or reps that you like.

If you must...get a TC sub...any version...tape up the crystal, remove the movement, and put the watch case and bracelet in a coffee can filled with screws, nuts, bolts, sand...and shake around for a while....then, maybe you have something worth wearing. A slightly aged Rolex that will pass 99% of the closeup inspections it gets (which won't be any) but at least didn't look like you went to canal street the week before your internship to buy some fake to try to impress people.

Actually...I take all that back....apply for a credit card and take your $2k down to the Rollie dealer and go balls out.

Lmao, this was a great response. I honestly dont really feel like buying a rep anymore after that. Tudors and omegas are both like $2000+ and seikos are affordable but they are cheap pieces of [censored]. They arent swiss and everyone knows that they are cheaply made by japan. I feel like I would be shamed wearing a seiko. Can you suggest like 3 different seiko models to me that you think are "well respected by any watch fan".

You have 2G in the bank and you call Seikos cheap pieces of [censored]?

Why don't you try a Grand Seiko Automatic? Widely respected as a fine, fine watch, but probably over your budget.

Don't bother trying to impress anyone with a watch. Try that with your personality, intellect and knowledge.

Go with a Omega Speedmaster. Widely loved, beautiful watch, within your budget. And shows a tasteful young man, spending within his budget. Good luck with your internship!

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Seikos are not cheap POS, even the cheap ones are good watches, just built down to a price. Start spending $1000 on a Seiko and there are some great watches. As for Grand Seiko, very few true WIS as opposed to watch snobs, would look down on one of those.

• Like 1

I agree with @Italiansub. Buy your lifestyle and most people will not call you out.

TC is a TD who makes nice older model Rolex subs. If you still want a TC Sub, search for a pre-own on the M2M here and at RWI. I wouldn't order direct as TC has a looong wait-list of buyers, and it will be 2-3 months before you receive your order.

If I only had 2 grand in my bank account and didn't want to wear a watch too far outside of my social class, I would purchase a Tudor Black Bay ZF V4 Rep for ~$300 from InTime.   I would then promptly thank my lucky stars that I still had $1700 in savings and be grateful for such a kickass Rep.  :play_ball: 

• Like 2

If I only had 2 grand in my bank account and didn't want to wear a watch too far outside of my social class, I would purchase a Tudor Black Bay ZF V4 Rep for ~$300 from InTime.   I would then promptly thank my lucky stars that I still had $1700 in savings and be grateful for such a kickass Rep.  :play_ball: 

You're a genius...but something tells me a Tudor is beneath the OP.

57 minutes ago, Italiansub said:

You're a genius...but something tells me a Tudor is beneath the OP.

You may be the genius, because tudor is far beneath me.

3 hours ago, ArtTic said:

I agree with @Italiansub. Buy your lifestyle and most people will not call you out.

TC is a TD who makes nice older model Rolex subs. If you still want a TC Sub, search for a pre-own on the M2M here and at RWI. I wouldn't order direct as TC has a looong wait-list of buyers, and it will be 2-3 months before you receive your order.

I am trying to buy my lifestyle. I love luxury. If I could, I would buy every gold rolex in the world. As soon as I graduate college I will be making six figures so a rolex will be considered chump change to me.

That being said, ever heard of the phrase "fake it till you make it"? That is my plan.

I am trying to buy my lifestyle. I love luxury. If I could, I would buy every gold rolex in the world. As soon as I graduate college I will be making six figures so a rolex will be considered chump change to me.

That being said, ever heard of the phrase "fake it till you make it"? That is my plan.

Oh man. Love it. Forgot what being 21 was like.

What exactly are you trying to fake here? The luxury lifestyle or confidence?

If the goal is trying to fake the luxury lifestyle...I'm afraid the watch isn't going to be enough...I size people up by things that can't be sourced from Chinese websites and assure you most others do as well...for instance...I don't look at just the style of clothing someone wears...but how it's cared for and worn. Is the person wearing the standard no brainer Rolex sub, or do they know watches enough and shop at the places that will help them pick a model that isnt rep'd by every Chinese factory? Are their clothes properly tailored? Pressed? Are the soles of their shoes clean and fresh? How bout laces? Are they worn?
When going out .... does the style and brand of bank card one pays with match the "lifestyle" they rep? Does the person know the things that one should certainly know if living "the life"? It's so transparent when someone tries to fake the "luxury" lifestyle...because luxury isn't about what someone wears...it's about the confidence that someone shows when they don't need to prove anything to anyone. See...the last poster was trying to re-assure you that's it's OK to have the lifestyle of a recent college grad/intern. And in being OK with it...and perhaps having on a Tudor or Seiko...which is a perfectly respectable watch for anyone who's either made it, or on their way to "making it"...it shows that you have the confidence and know things you "should" know in order TO make it.

Maybe you should perform a test...fake being confident until you are. Buy a quartz Nixon for $35 at an outlet...wear it into your new job and every time someone notices...which will be about 200x more than they would notice a Rolex...tell them you hate it, but can't yet afford a Rolex. Tell them you plan to work hard...that you plan to save up...despite your penchant for loving the "luxury lifestyle"...and that one day, when you've "made it"...you plan to put the Nixon in a watch box and save it for your kids to see...so that you can tell them how once upon a time you actually thought it was important what watch a person wore.

Then...come back onto the forum...and tell us about how you view people who come to these forums and make their first post ever about how they intend to impress people by "faking it till they make" it with a watch.

Good luck dude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Italiansub said:

Oh man. Love it. Forgot what being 21 was like.

What exactly are you trying to fake here? The luxury lifestyle or confidence?

If the goal is trying to fake the luxury lifestyle...I'm afraid the watch isn't going to be enough...I size people up by things that can't be sourced from Chinese websites and assure you most others do as well...for instance...I don't look at just the style of clothing someone wears...but how it's cared for and worn. Is the person wearing the standard no brainer Rolex sub, or do they know watches enough and shop at the places that will help them pick a model that isnt rep'd by every Chinese factory? Are their clothes properly tailored? Pressed? Are the soles of their shoes clean and fresh? How bout laces? Are they worn?
When going out .... does the style and brand of bank card one pays with match the "lifestyle" they rep? Does the person know the things that one should certainly know if living "the life"? It's so transparent when someone tries to fake the "luxury" lifestyle...because luxury isn't about what someone wears...it's about the confidence that someone shows when they don't need to prove anything to anyone. See...the last poster was trying to re-assure you that's it's OK to have the lifestyle of a recent college grad/intern. And in being OK with it...and perhaps having on a Tudor or Seiko...which is a perfectly respectable watch for anyone who's either made it, or on their way to "making it"...it shows that you have the confidence and know things you "should" know in order TO make it.

Maybe you should perform a test...fake being confident until you are. Buy a quartz Nixon for $35 at an outlet...wear it into your new job and every time someone notices...which will be about 200x more than they would notice a Rolex...tell them you hate it, but can't yet afford a Rolex. Tell them you plan to work hard...that you plan to save up...despite your penchant for loving the "luxury lifestyle"...and that one day, when you've "made it"...you plan to put the Nixon in a watch box and save it for your kids to see...so that you can tell them how once upon a time you actually thought it was important what watch a person wore.

Then...come back onto the forum...and tell us about how you view people who come to these forums and make their first post ever about how they intend to impress people by "faking it till they make" it with a watch.

Good luck dude.

nice book bro but what I meant by "fake it till you make it" was buying a rep to wear until i can afford a gen

Great advice. Or the Pelagos from Zf is also a great rep. I'm wearing it today.
9db5de66e658f8dc791ed99a01eb9f5c.jpg