When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 118208

alligoat

A few years ago I ran across a gold 118208 with the white dial- it was on ebay for a low price- maybe $11.9K- can't remember, but it caught my eye.

_571_zpsf8c804bb.jpg

It looked nice but it appeared the oyster band was slightly stretched.

At any rate, I wasn't ready to buy. I had built an 1803 from parts- a 1556 movement with a redone dial in a phong modified 16000 case

photo_zps0a8f98cd.jpg

I called it the Sportman's DD, since it was an ss case and bracelet. I wear it as a semi-beater and it's done well.

But alas, I signed a big O&G lease this year- I'm not an O&G guy- I just have some property from my grandfather- and with a windfall I decided to cut loose. I found a nice 118208 which turned out to be in very nice shape and I bought it

s-l16001_zpshb9iyxfk.jpg

I got a good deal on it and the pleasant surprise was that it was in almost mint condition.

So then the next thing I did was set out to build a rep of it to wear around- save some wear and tear on the gen.

So I went to MMM and told him what I wanted. I had a decent 118238 case, but it got screwed up by USPS in shipping, but luckily the old Swiss eta movement survived. Matt got me a gen DD white dial with gold sticks and put it in a DJ 116208 case, I put the old YM oyster bracelet on it and it look pretty good.

IMG_0600_zpsm9p6rpd8.jpg

But it wasn't what I really wanted. So I went to Andrew/Trusty Time and ordered a 118208 which had a gold stick dial and told him that I wanted that watch with a white stick dial. A few days later he came back and said the factory didn't have that dial. So I asked for the watch with the white lume dial. He was able to get that dial so I went with it

DSCN7163_zpscd1v4xc6.jpg

So my plan at that point was to swap dial/movement and end up with a nice 118208 rep and another 118208 so so watch.

The gen dial/swiss 2836-2 fit in the Trusty case/ bracelet and it's on the right in this photo.

IMG_0602_zpsua1ssmwr.jpg

The oyster bracelets are nice- clasp on the rep isn't gen spec but I hope it holds up

IMG_0603_zpsmzu9ytbu.jpg

One last note- rep gold is as good color-wise as the gen- please forgive my photo talents- any variations are due to my picture taking.

The Trusty dial ended up in the MMM Dj case and it looks like a good beater or I may sell it to recoup a few dollars....

IMG_0601_zpsecut4dmg.jpg

But all in all, it's nice to have a gen and a few reps to help keep the wear and tear off the gen!

Edited by alligoat
  • Like 2

Quite a bit of difference in the bezel and crystal area and the rep lugs look a tad chunkier.  Maybe I should write a program - nah...

But, those observations aside, it's a nice looking watch!

• Like 1

After taking those pic, I noticed that the rep lugs were a little thicker and the crystal sits a little higher. I also realized that the crown on the gen has the two dots, not the slash/bar. I guess that signifies gold which is pretty obvious on a YG watch, less so on a WG one. But overall I consider the rep a very nice approximation of the gen.

Also, just thought about the crown position, appears to be slightly lower on the rep and that could also account for the thicker lugs- the 2834-2 (mine says 2836-2 on it from 2008 or so) may be a little taller than the 3155. I also noticed a few variations between the two gen dials- Swiss Made is further apart on the dial in the rep case, print looks lighter also on that dial.   

After taking those pic, I noticed that the rep lugs were a little thicker and the crystal sits a little higher. I also realized that the crown on the gen has the two dots, not the slash/bar. I guess that signifies gold which is pretty obvious on a YG watch, less so on a WG one. But overall I consider the rep a very nice approximation of the gen.

Also, just thought about the crown position, appears to be slightly lower on the rep and that could also account for the thicker lugs- the 2834-2 (mine says 2836-2 on it from 2008 or so) may be a little taller than the 3155. I also noticed a few variations between the two gen dials- Swiss Made is further apart on the dial in the rep case, print looks lighter also on that dial.   

Thanks for the pics.

Is the crystal higher? It looks like the same size gasket...but the bezel looks dif. Maybe it's a little thinner?? You should buy another gen bezel and swap it out...then take a side by side...c'mon...do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite a bit of difference in the bezel and crystal area and the rep lugs look a tad chunkier.  Maybe I should write a program - nah...

But, those observations aside, it's a nice looking watch!

Talk about dangling a carrot....haha!

What would happen after the case got machined down? Gold plating? Can we get a prototype?!?!

:bleh:  Probably easiest thing would be to get the plain SS case, re-shape, then get the whole thing plated...

M, was your rep case sort of "flat" between the lugs or round like a regular DJ case?

:bleh:  Probably easiest thing would be to get the plain SS case, re-shape, then get the whole thing plated...

M, was your rep case sort of "flat" between the lugs or round like a regular DJ case?

Mostly concerned w that "flat" section between lugs...do you know of a good SS case to get shaped and plated...?