When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comparison of Gen Rolex Movement to Clones

illustrations

I was wondering, with these 2 watches:

1.  ROLYM112 - YachtMaster Ref.116622 SS/SS Rolesium BP A3135 Mod.

2.  ROLYM093C - 2016 YM Noob Mens SS/SS Rolesium SA3135.

For the movement, they both say 25J.  I assume this means 25 jewels.  How many jewels does the genuine Rolex have?  I did a search for this info but I could not find anything.  I even downloaded Rolex's DateJust 41 PDF brochure.

If I were to wear the above 2 clones on a daily basis, how long do you think they would last?  Just curious.  One thing, I think the Chinese are getting better at making clones.  LOL.  Someday it may be impossible for anyone except for expert jewelers to know the difference.

Edited by illustrations
  • Like 1

The SA3135 is a better than the A3135 (which is just a modified 2836-2 clone). Having said that, both can die within days. Quite a few people swear by the SA3135 and find it a fantastic time keeper that lasts. The problem is you can't easily source parts, so if it dies you need to replace the whole movement.

• Like 1

Q:  "If I were to wear the above 2 clones on a daily basis, how long do you think they would last?"

A:  "...both can die within days."   "The problem is you can't easily source parts, so if it dies you need to replace the whole movement."

Good answer.

My take on this subject is:

No matter what the movement looks like, if it is not reliable and there are no parts available...what good is it?  (not much imho)  No one can see through the case anyway.

I would rather have a reliable swisseta ticking away for years.  If and when it needs parts, they are cheap and easy to find, plus anyone who can fix an average watch can work on one.  Even me.  :pimp:

One other problem with rolexclones (not eta base) is when you finally give up on one, an eta is not a drop in replacement...the dial feet, hands, dwo etc will not work on an eta.  For this reason an etaclone may be a good/better choice first time around because when it quits, you can remove it, stomp it flat, and replace it with a swisseta.

Just be sure to stomp it flat.

Stomp?  City Boys might need to look it up...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, automatico said:

My take on this subject is:

No matter what the movement looks like, if it is not reliable and there are no parts available...what good is it?  (not much imho)  No one can see through the case anyway.

I would rather have a reliable swisseta ticking away for years.  If and when it needs parts, they are cheap and easy to find, plus anyone who can fix an average watch can work on one.  Even me.  :pimp:

One other problem with rolexclones (not eta base) is when you finally give up on one, an eta is not a drop in replacement...the dial feet, hands, dwo etc will not work on an eta.  For this reason an etaclone may be a good/better choice first time around because when it quits, you can remove it, stomp it flat, and replace it with a swisseta.

Here is a $468 Swiss ETA:  ROLYM091 - 2016 YM Mens SS/SS Grey JF Swiss 2824 for anyone who is searching for one.  $468 for a clone would be a bit pricey, wouldn't it?  Here are search results for Yachtmaster Swiss ETA's for anyone who is interested.

I think if someone had a genuine Rolex, wanted to go traveling, overseas or to a large US city, New York City or Chicago for example and wanted to keep it safe in their bank deposit box, getting a clone duplicate would be a good idea.

Edited by illustrations

Imho $468 is a lot of money for a replica watch with a throw away movement.  It sure looks good though.

'BP Ultimate Swiss 2836' for $348 is not as bad.

"I think if someone had a genuine Rolex, wanted to go traveling, overseas or to a large US city, New York City or Chicago for example and wanted to keep it safe in their bank deposit box, getting a clone duplicate would be a good idea."

Agree.

Probably a good idea if it was for peace of mind from fear of loss or damage.  Otoh if the wearer was mugged, the result...robbery with/without injury or worse would be the same for a replica as a genuine watch (except for $$ loss).  Most mugging victims probably claim their 'rolex' is a replica to keep the mugger from taking it.  I used to travel quite a bit in the South Eastern USA and wore a low-key quartz Seiko or Swiss Army watch.  

About 8 years a go a friend went to an NAWCC show in Metairie Louisiana (New Orleans) and the desk clerk at his hotel told him not to wear a nice watch or be outside after dark, even in a crowd.