When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone in or around Houston area?

fraggle42

Not *exactly* watch related this one...

I'm in need of some consumer advice!

Specifically, which banks would you recommend someone moving to the area to use, or to avoid?

Need one that offers sterling customer service, secured credit cards, who are friendly to an immigrating couple, does chequing and savings and loans, and possibly (after 6 or 12 months to build up a measly credit record) a small top up mortgage depending on the house the missus takes a shine too.

Been using the UKs number 1 bank for the past 15 years who are a purely online bank, so happy to do the same again, but also happy to consider alternatives.

Not *exactly* watch related this one...

I'm in need of some consumer advice!

Specifically, which banks would you recommend someone moving to the area to use, or to avoid?

Need one that offers sterling customer service, secured credit cards, who are friendly to an immigrating couple, does chequing and savings and loans, and possibly (after 6 or 12 months to build up a measly credit record) a small top up mortgage depending on the house the missus takes a shine too.

Been using the UKs number 1 bank for the past 15 years who are a purely online bank, so happy to do the same again, but also happy to consider alternatives.

Welcome to Texas. I use USAA. Online mostly but need military affiliation. I banked with Bank of America prior. Not too bad there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hiya Mike, I know, long time no talk.

Visited and lurked often, I wear my Apple Watch a lot nowadays cause the rubber strap is comfortable, the metal straps started irritating me again and making my wrist swell up.

Yes I think all the usual big ones are about but no idea of their customer service quality!

Anyone use an international bank account? Asked someone to give me a call to go over the details of it, looks good (credit history travels with you) but not sure if work will be happy paying into one, or pensions, or a normal U.K. Bank account without charges.

I would use a local bank, rather than try to use and overseas account. Looks better on your credit rating, and it's always good to establish a relationship with locals. Personally, since I live in a rather small town, I have always used a locally owned bank rather than a branch of one of the big boys. All the bank officers are locals for the most part, they tend to stay in one place so I'm not always having to do business with someone new, plus decisions are made locally, and usually are easier and quicker.
Coming from the U.K., hope you can survive the Houston summer!! It's HOT!!!
Close enough to the gulf to get all the humidity but none of the cooling ocean breeze. Sure is nice in the winter though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh I'm aware it's going to be a huge change in temperature through the year! Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually and won't need the AC on 24/7/365 in the house and car!

The missus is asking me to find somewhere with a pool for her to cool down in, and if I don't there may be repercussions :D

I'll have a look at local banks there.