When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona vs daytona

Guest emanuele.barone2

Guest emanuele.barone2

guys do you advise me to buy:

noob daytona black dial 2824 or 6241 daytona paul newman gold venus 75?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Guest emanuele.barone2
Never heard of a Daytona with a 2824 movement. That's a non chrono movement can you give us a little more information, photos or links to the sales sites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is thickness 1:1 gen

http://supermirror1.com/content/?590.html

same thickness of the gen but the timer does not operate, and is reliable of valjoux 7750.

It seems a true Gen.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

As I said, go for it. AFA accuracy, the watch may look pretty accurate. I don't know, because I have never been a fan of the newer Daytonas. What I do know, having had various chronographs including vintage genuine Daytonas for more than 40 years, you very seldom see the center sweep seconds hand moving, unless the wearer is timing something? Within one minute after engaging the seconds counter( center sweep), the subdials counters move. The minute subdials hand moves one minute every time the center seconds hand completes a rotation. From that I could look at your watch from 10 feet away, and in a couple of minutes tell it's a fake. How? Because on all "real" chronographs, the subdials hands move,first the minute totalizer, then after 60 minutes, the hour totalizer moves. On the 2824 they never move, because they are not connected to anything. The Venus ( actually a Seagull ST19 ) is a much more believable movement, as it has a correct small seconds and is a true chronograph movement. It is a Bicompax movement (2subdials) so it has a Small seconds and a minute subdial, the hour subdials is frozen. That movement is a manual wind movement, so I doubt that it would be adaptable to a modern Daytona, as they are all automatic. Certainly not a bad movement for a vintage Daytona though. The biggest problem with modern Daytona is the seconds subdials is at 6. All the 7750 variants have the seconds subdials at 9. The rep manufacturers move the sec@ 9 to sec@ 6 by adding an additional gear train. This gear train is the weak point in all these movements, both the sec@6 for Daytona as well as the sec@ 12 on AP ROO's. Problematic movements, prone to failure and difficult and expensive to repair.
That's my take on Daytonas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you like modern Daytonas you are not in a perfect spot. But I think you have made the right decision as an important point in the aesthestics of the watch is its thickness. Usually no-one will ask you to start the chrono. But I can spot the thick Daytonas from a mile away. The hole proportions seem out of whack.

24 minutes ago, Eddy.barone2@gmail.com said:

What holes?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Sorry I meant the whole proportions, not the hole proportions. ?

No, that is a misunderstanding. The watch is fine. What I said is that I do not like the 7750 based versions.

These thread reflects what could be called extremely opposed philosophies. On the one hand there is the aesthetic approach, which foucusses on the overall image and on the other hand the purits approach, which is the rule of thumb in forums like this; that is your watch must be as close to the gen as possible. That´s why we have super replicas, franken and genstein watches, for which people are ready to ask as much a 8K. All in all, unless one has 10.000/15.000 K to buy a gen,   both collectors are right, as no one has ever said the last word in terms of taste and satisfaction when collectiong replicas.