When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Service Dial + SH3135

UmpaHimself

I've been holding on to an 80's 1680 white service dial and insert for about a year now. My original plan was to put it into an MBW case but once I realized, to make it fit I was going to have to shave the dial down I decided not to go down that route. I have also been away from the rep game for a while.

I see this new SH3135 movement being offered by JF Factory. I was wondering, if I bought a Phong case that was more correct spec, would I be able to combine the service dial and this new movement with out cutting the dial feet? Would the date wheel line up and would this movement fit in that case?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Not compatible. Dial feet are in a different location. You'll need a 1575 cal movement. No clones of that for now. the 3135 only work for 162XX, 14270/114270, 1661X and the later modern pieces like the SubC and DJII...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DVNE said:

Not compatible. Dial feet are in a different location. You'll need a 1575 cal movement. No clones of that for now. the 3135 only work for 162XX, 14270/114270, 1661X and the later modern pieces like the SubC and DJII...

I had a feeling. Thanks for the info!

If you had an MBW case, you could dremel the inside of the case at the dial seat and make the gen dial fit without shaving it down.

Or you could try a cartel case and maybe the 26.5mm gen dial would fit.

Thirdly, you could check a Yuki 1680 case and maybe try that- it's cheaper than a Phong.

If you don't get a 1575 Rolex movement, next best is an ETA 2846-2 but then you cut the dial feet!

Finding a 1575 for around $1,000.00 would be hard these days and getting parts for them is even harder.

6 hours ago, alligoat said:

If you had an MBW case, you could dremel the inside of the case at the dial seat and make the gen dial fit without shaving it down.

Or you could try a cartel case and maybe the 26.5mm gen dial would fit.

Thirdly, you could check a Yuki 1680 case and maybe try that- it's cheaper than a Phong.

If you don't get a 1575 Rolex movement, next best is an ETA 2846-2 but then you cut the dial feet!

Finding a 1575 for around $1,000.00 would be hard these days and getting parts for them is even harder.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately it can be difficult tracking down, and trusting a modder to do things how you expect. This has been the biggest deterrent for me. Also I hate the thought even of clipping the feet on the dial (although I know it's not that serious).

Honestly, I have 4 great subs that with a touch more attention will be very nice pieces. I really didn't need to get into another project. It was just more so figuring out an easy DIY mod or parting with it. I will most likely end up selling it.

Yeh, selling the dial might be the best idea. Building a franken 1680 can easily run $2500-3000 with a good case and a 1575 movement. I built a 5508 and a 1803 with rolex movements and they both cost me around $2500 and that's been 5-8 years ago. 

"Yeh, selling the dial might be the best idea. Building a franken 1680 can easily run $2500-3000 with a good case and a 1575 movement."

True.

Maybe start from scratch and go with an Eta 2846 etc and a Yuki dial.  It is not hard to modify an MBK 5512/5513/1680 case to accept an oem spec 1680 dial but it really needs to be done on a lathe.  Otoh, with Eta movements you may have DWO/date magnifier hassles.  A 5512/5513 project is much easier. 

I wonder if a Yuki 1680 dial made for an Eta 28xx has the standard Eta date offset or standard rolex date offset?  Probably seen it here but can not remember.  If the dials have the Eta offset, crystal magnifiers will be a problem.

It seems today's high prices for 1520/30/60/70/75 movements have put the brakes on Frankenstein projects.  Plus many of the movements need relatively expensive parts and you have to pay The Doctor Price for rolex movement service.

...and The Nurse Practitioner Price for Eta service.   :pimp:

• Like 1