When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 GW budget franken

docthor

After selling my 5513 which I still painfully regret I knew I need to have another vintage Rolex.

Beginning of January (or end of December...don't remember) I bought a PT 1665. While I think the case is pretty okay I didn't like the dial, the crown and the DW and so I sourced some parts to have it changed. I bought a gen crown, Polexpete DWO and a modded DRSD dial and brought all of it to Domi. While he was working on my watch he showed me a very nice and crisp refinished gen GW dial, relumed by him with very nice and puffy vintage lume...I couldn't resist. And since Domi doesn't like to cut of the feet of gen dials he made a special movement ring to fit the dial and the movement. Unfortunately this process took pretty long and so I wasn't able to go home with my 1665 in January.

Now, yesterday, after 3 month I finally found the time to visit Domi (and Daytona1984 who was at Domis too :) ) and he finished my 1665. The gen crown didn't fit the PT tube and so I sourced a "gen tube" (broke very easy and we doubt that it was a real gen tube) to have it put into the case. Funny thing is...the PT case doesn't have a thread for the tube...it's just pressed into the case. So he had to cut a thread and had to sink the hole to fit the gen tube (which I thankfully got from @Daytona1984).

Overall there's pretty much work into that watch but I guess it's worth it. I really like my budget franken 1665. Next thing to do is once the a2836 dies to have a Swiss 2846 installed...but this can take a while :)

Specs are for now:

PT 1665

Gen refinished, vintage relumed 1665 GW dial

Polexpete silver DWO (flat 3, open 6&9)

Gen 703 crown

Gen tube

PT bezel and inlay

Unknown T16

Cartel 93150

Cartel 580

20170428_103626.jpg

20170428_103634.jpg

20170428_103640.jpg

20170428_103652.jpg

20170428_103700.jpg

20170428_103708.jpg

20170428_103716.jpg

20170428_104716.jpg

• Like 2

It's a good looking watch!

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the flat top T-16. I'd prefer to see a domed crystal on there, but if Domi used a T-16, I guess a T-39 or T19 wouldn't fit. My PT 1665 from 2008 had a non-gen bezel assembly, but with jmb's help I was able to modify it to gen spec- he turned a crystal retention ring and I was able to fit the PT bezel to it.

Here's a gen GWSD with a domed crystal

IMG_33941.jpg

Mine ended up with a T-39 from GS

P1000287.jpg

I do think the PT 1665 is a good watch to start with, but you do have to change out the dial for a better one and your dial is tops!

...the T16 is on it because I like it a lot

Domi is just great in what he does. For my 5513 with gen dial he drilled holes into the mainplate of an 2842 to be able to take the dial feet

I don't know if he had done something with hands height...have to ask him...

Sent from my wooden drums via Tupperware!

Nice one! I like the current crystal personally. It's asking for a CG shave and an Ofrei pearl

BTW, whats going on with the hands? Looks to be a different set between the above pics and the wrist pic

Would say it depends on the light.
Lume looks more "orange" on the wrist pic.

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

On 4/28/2017 at 10:37 PM, manodeoro said:

Sorry for the noob question but wath is the document (book ?) behind your watch ?
Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

That is a page out of "Vintage Rolex Sport Models" by Martin Skeet and Nick Urul. It's copyright 2005 and although it has some mistakes in it, it's a pretty good reference covering the period from the early 50s thru around 1980.

2 hours ago, alligoat said:

That is a page out of "Vintage Rolex Sport Models" by Martin Skeet and Nick Urul. It's copyright 2005 and although it has some mistakes in it, it's a pretty good reference covering the period from the early 50s thru around 1980.

Thanks.

I'll first try to find a pdf file but if I cant I'll probably order it.